What to do when you're getting tired of the "safe" hair styles?

hippiedollhippiedoll Registered Users Posts: 398
Lately I have been getting bored and a little frustrated with my hair. I only used heat on my hair twice since I started transitioning (last relaxer: Feb 2012). I mainly been alternating between braid/twist outs and buns. My hair line and the hair behind my hair is natural. I'm not sure on hair type, but it's curly and gets very frizzy. It takes so much to get my hair to smooth down. I'm considering having my hair straightened with the lowest heat possible for the weekend I need temporary change. My hair has been looking a hot mess for the past 2 weeks. I need some advice/help. The frizz is killing me I can see myself BC'ing at the end of the summer.
40862d14-f543-c435.jpg
40862d14-f562-5606.jpg
40862d14-f57f-8568.jpg
40862d14-f594-1882.jpg
40862d14-f51c-63b9.jpg
Products I'm currently :love10::
  • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
  • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
  • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
  • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:

Comments

• hippiedollhippiedoll Registered Users Posts: 398
      I had to make a second post because my phone has a mind of its own. The pics are: a curl from a relaxed piece I chopped off down to the new growth. I ended up cutting some of the curl. That's what that is in my hand. And the other pics are of my hair with no product air dried. My hair type is very curly but frizzy at the same time. I don't know I the relaxed ends make it appear that way. But the frizz is killing me softly lol. I need HELP!!!
        Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
      • quietstormRNquietstormRN Registered Users Posts: 21
        :hello2:We are about at the same place in our transition. Those are the same styles I use too haha. My new growth looks similar to yours. I flat ironed my hair last weekend and it lasted a few days. I dont think there is any harm in it as long as you dont do it regularly.

How do you dry your hair and what products do you use? Do you twist or braid wet, damp, or dry? Do you tie your damp slicked edges down with a scarf to help smooth them?

My braidout/twistout results arent consistent so when they dont turn out as good as Id like, I turn it into a puff and rock it like that was my intention. Textured buns from the braidout/twistout gone wrong or close to wash day are cute too with some hair out in the front. You can make your bun look fuller by pinning it all back with bobby pins and then fanning it around like a donut. Makes your hair appear longer than it is too.

To overcome boredom, get a lot of hair accessories (headbands, flowers, clips--Ive found lots of them at the dollar tree). Wear big earrings. Play with makeup. My overall look has actually improved since I decided to transition bc I was going through a zero interest in hair phase which spilled over into looking like a slob all the time, not wearing makeup or dressing nice. Since ive started putting effort into my hair, whether they fail or not, I look 100% better bc I was seriously brushing my dull, dry hair into a little tucked ponytail nub everyday. Now at least it has some sort of style most days and Ive started wearing more jewelry and spending more than 60 seconds on my makeup lol. Its coming together!

Im pretty sure a twistout, braidout, or bun will be my staple styles even when Im fully natural so Im just rolling with it!

event.png

• PearlsForCurlsPearlsForCurls Registered Users Posts: 86
        Hey lovely! Stay encouraged! Get some flat twists, I just got some last week to give myself a little break from the curly ponytails and messy buns. It doesn't take that long and it's pretty cheap too! Here's a pic:

c6e4c895-0027-f380.jpg

c6e4c895-003c-35c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
        Transitioned from Dec 2011-Jul 2012

Now fully natural!:thumbright:

One year anniversary: Dec 28, 2012

Curl Type: The type that curls kinkily.
        Products: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Condit., Coconut Oil

"Wait, I'm doing it wrong!"
        @quietstormRN Pretty hair styles! I usually air dry my hair with very little product in it otherwise it takes forever to dry. I tie my hair up at night with a stain scarf when my hair is in a protective style. The right side of my edges just curl right back up no matter what I use to smooth it down with. The curls are making sure they're winning lol. Then again I cut a lot of relaxed hair off from that area. I'll just wait until the hairs around there get longer. Excuse my phone case for blocking some of the pics the redish cloud *doh*!
          @PearlsForCurls. Thanks for the suggestions. Your hair looks great! I don't really do much braid styles. I hated them as a kid because my scalp was so tender. I thought about having someone I trust to braid my hair for the summer.
            Since this post, I've decided to continue to not use heat on my hair. I think it's far too risky. I still have a section of hair thats slightly damaged from previous relaxing a year ago. I'm going to have to chalk it up and continue my braid/twist outs and buns. I'm going to try to experiment with no heat styles very soon. My ultimate goal is to grow healthier hair that is not chemically or heat altered.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
            Emoji
            Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
            Drop image/file