CurlTalk

Protective styling for about 2.5 inches of length

beastlybrittbeastlybritt Posts: 6Registered Users
Okay, so I bc'd in December, and now June is coming, and I'm getting a lot of tangles that I'm not getting before. My routine is daily cowash, moisturize with leave in conditioner, and seal with jojoba oil.

I want to do a protective styling, but I don't know what to do! My hair isn't long, so I know if I do twists, they're not gonna be those luxurious long twists I see in the youtube videos. Even when I look up "protective styles for short natural hair," I'm seeing hair lengths longer than mine.

EDIT: Also: my hair is really really dry. How can I combat that?

Comments

• FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users
    I'd try finger coils [Tutorial: Coils/Single Strand Twists Tutorial - YouTube]. I loved them when I had a TWA.

Other than that try twists (protective) or twist outs (low manipulation; not protective). Enjoy your hair as it grows out--You can protective style all you want one you retain more length.
    Big Chop: 12/15/08

Shampoo: As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo
    Conditioner: As I Am Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner &
    Tresemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish Conditioner
    Leave-In Conditioner: As I Am Leave-In Conditioner & Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner
    Moisturizer: As I Am DoubleButter Cream Rich Daily Moisturizer
    Oils/Butters: Coconut Oil & Castor Oil
    Gels: Eco Styler Krystal Gel

~ iHerb Discount Code: EFE310 ~
  • kckinkykckinky Posts: 162Registered Users
    I love 2 strand flat twists...super easy to do and quick.
    Dense Tight Coils.
    Last Relaxer: Sept 2011
    Loves :love7:
    Jessicurl, Karen's Body Beautiful, Hairveda, Oyin, She Scent It and Qhemet Biologics products
    ***Recovering PJ***:help:
  • ticktockticktock Posts: 12Registered Users
    A good DC and moisturizing and sealing should help with the dryness. But I think box braids are a pretty protective style
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users
    Head wraps are also a good protective style and a great way to DC or baggy on the go
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • Dame CurlicueDame Curlicue Posts: 27Registered Users
    Honestly I don't think people need to protective style their TWAs. The hair is new and young. I think you should solve your dryness problem, and then the tangles will solve themselves (until you get to a longer length).

What products are you using? Also are you manipulating your hair a lot every time you cowash?
  • prettypetitemeprettypetiteme Posts: 4Registered Users
    Im on the same page too. I have about 3 inches of hair after my bc in april and i wanna do protective styles because i want to protect the little i have until i grow longer. My friend tell me just to do wash nd gos or braid out but idk if im ready to wear it out completely yet.
  • JohariJohari Posts: 673Registered Users
    Try 2 strand twists or cornrolls
  • dee-naturedee-nature Posts: 630Registered Users
    Im on the same page too. I have about 3 inches of hair after my bc in april and i wanna do protective styles because i want to protect the little i have until i grow longer. My friend tell me just to do wash nd gos or braid out but idk if im ready to wear it out completely yet.
    Honestly I don't think people need to protective style their TWAs. The hair is new and young. I think you should solve your dryness problem, and then the tangles will solve themselves (until you get to a longer length).

What products are you using? Also are you manipulating your hair a lot every time you cowash?
    TRUST me you will miss hair this short once your hair get longer. Natural hair requires high maintenance. there no real major problems when you have hair this short. I have friends who grew their hair out and BC again to avoid the time it takes to detangle and such.

its prob too short for ps other than wig. try lite leave in condish and be patient before you know it you can braid it and the real PS will begin.
    hair type: 4a VERY dense u39v2snfy.png

hair goal
    = WL Aug. 23, 2013

My hair LOVES oil
    :love5:
    2. "Being natural must be the new crack cus im hooked!!":afro:

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is
    perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”:wav:

www.fotki.com/dee-nature-619

• JohariJohari Posts: 673Registered Users
    dee-nature wrote: »

TRUST me you will miss hair this short once your hair get longer. Natural hair requires high maintenance. there no real major problems when you have hair this short. I have friends who grew their hair out and BC again to avoid the time it takes to detangle and such.

its prob too short for ps other than wig. try lite leave in condish and be patient before you know it you can braid it and the real PS will begin.

yes! that's exactly what ive been complaining about but then again i wished for longer hair.It takes longer to dry and comb.