new and overwhelmed

raynebairraynebair Posts: 37Registered Users
Hello everyone. I just found this site today and so far am loving it.

I decided a little over a week ago I was going to try to embrace my curls. I'd always had straight or slightly wavy hair growing up, but too many years of blow-drying, straightening and relaxing my hair plus a pregnancy changed all that and now I'm a curly frizz-head. Reading up, I've decided my curl type is 3A/B.

I'm tired of having yucky frizzy hair and I don't really like the damage that straightening does to it. So I've set out to figure out how to embrace my curls and manage them.

I discovered CG and am excited to start right away. As a newbie, I decided to go simple and selected Suave Naturals and VO5 Tea Therapy as my conditioners. Then for gel, I got Herbal Essense Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel. Stuff I found at the local CVS and mostly on sale. I've also got a semi-wide-toothed comb that I use for detangling in the shower.

I guess I can use my old stuff for my 5 year old daughter, who has lovely straight hair (just like her mama did at that age).

I've seen the instructions on some of the products that they are best used on soaking wet hair, but never really did it that way. I'm determined to try it this time.

Question. When you get out of the shower, how do you manage your soaking wet hair while trying to towel dry the rest of you. I can never squeeze enough water out of my hair with just my hands so that it's not dripping everywhere.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CG since May 23, 2012
Yep, I'm a newbie!
Hispanic with 3a/b curls that did not exist when I was a child

Current Products:
Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine
VO5 Tea Therapy Blackberry Sage
HETT gel

Comments

• mhen76mhen76 Posts: 813Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome, raynebair! You'll find lots of great info on these boards. I keep my products in the shower and apply them there. I then grab a microfiber towel (an old, soft cotton t-shirt will also work) and gently scrunch out enough of the water so that I'm not dripping. By the time I've finished drying off, lotioning up and getting dressed, I decide what to do to the hair next. Sometimes, I just put a few jaw clips on the top of my head for lift then air dry. Sometimes, I need to add a little extra gel and skip curl a few stubborn sections. Lots of experimenting and practice will help you narrow down what will work best for you.

Keep your eye on products. It's my understanding that Herbal Essence recently reformulated and may contain some cones. I'm not sure if the Totally Twisted was one that got a make-over.

Did you do a final clarifying shampoo to get rid of any cones that may still be in your hair from other products?

Co-washing alone doesn't work for all of us. Many need to low-poo on occasion to avoid build-up.

Good luck to you!
    3B, fine, normal to low porosity
    Modified CG since June 2010
    HGs: FSG, anything with glycerin, Tresemme Naturals conditioner, Curls Like Us cloths, satin pillowcases.
  • raynebairraynebair Posts: 37Registered Users
    Thanks! I spent some time at the store looking at different products and noticed that the HE conditioner as well as Garnier Triple Nutrition both have sulfates. I checked my Totally Twisted gel but I'll check it again.

I haven't had time yet to do my clarifying shampoo yet, but it will be my first step for sure. I only found out all this info today while at work.

Thanks for the tip on putting stuff in the shower...makes sense, but it never occurred to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG since May 23, 2012
    Yep, I'm a newbie!

Current Products:
    HETT gel
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to curly heaven!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Thanks! It's nice to have found a place to go for help managing my curls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG since May 23, 2012
    Yep, I'm a newbie!

Current Products:
    HETT gel
    So I found the CG method this week. I did my sulfate cleanse on Tuesday night, then conditioned and added gel. Yesterday I had okay 2nd day hair.

Today, I did a short co-wash with Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine. I used a ton of the same stuff as a leave-in followed by HETT gel. Scrunched out the excess water with a t-shirt. Then plopped with another dry t-shirt for about 8-10 minutes. Parted my hair and let it air dry.

Air dry took 2 hours including the last 30 min sitting in my car with the heater on. I think it would have taken another hour at least if I hadn't done that. Just happened to have the time today.

Once dry, I flipped my hair and SOTC. I love it!! Curls look healthy (but still feel dry, which is expected) and are clumping nicely.

Here's my photo from today (technically only day 2 of no-sulfates/cones). I can't wait to see how it looks in a few months when my hair is hopefully better moisturized and I don't need so much conditioner and gel.

I'm documenting this journey on my blog so I can look back in a few months and see how much difference there is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG since May 23, 2012
    Yep, I'm a newbie!

Current Products:
    HETT gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights