Volume???? Mousse????

guthak01guthak01 Registered Users Posts: 195 Curl Novice
So I have a lot of trouble with volume (pretty sure I need a good haircut with lots of layers). However for the time being I need help achieving volume with what I got i.e. hair that is a little longer than bsl with long layers. I have tried clipping which helps a little but the clips just like to slide down my hair, which ends up weighing the hair down ( I even have tried putting gel on the clips to hold them). I have also done the whole flip your head upside down thing, ( rinsing, applying products, and diffusing) but this gives me more volume on the sides and not on the top of my head.

I was thinking about trying mousse, but my last foray with it was a nightmare. My hair looked pre-cg a.k.a total lack of definition. I looked at a bunch of the low porosity signatures but did not see really any mentions of mousse.

So... My questions are, any suggestions for volume? And, any low porosity curlies using mousse? If so, how in the world do you use it?
3a/3b, Low porosity, Medium Density
Low-poo: Devacurl Low Poo
RO: GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave-in: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
Styler: Cantu Curl Activating Cream, LALSG, Pantene Curl Gel

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    I wear my hair shorter and get frequent haircuts, so volume isn't an issue for me unless I need a cut. So, that would be number one recommendation, but you already know that.

According to my stylist, mousse can be very drying because of the chemicals used for the propellant.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • guthak01guthak01 Registered Users Posts: 195 Curl Novice
    I tried jcrr, mousse, then LALSG. I rinsed and applied with my head flipped down, then plopped and air dried. I have good volume, but my hair does feel dried out. oddly enoughly my layers I do have popped a great deal and my hair has a good shape again. I am not sure If the drying was the jcrr or the mousse, but tomorrow I am going to try just a lite hold glycerin free gel as the dews are crazy here. But use the same method. I am wondering if possibly my gel was just too strong before.
    3a/3b, Low porosity, Medium Density
    Low-poo: Devacurl Low Poo
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Cantu Curl Activating Cream, LALSG, Pantene Curl Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file