Anybody have a good flan recipe??

LayaliLayali Registered Users Posts: 561 Curl Connoisseur
I love flan and it is my favorite dessert! My grandmother makes a really really excellent version, but she will not give me her recipe (Meanie!).

I followed a recipe I found online, but it just came out tasting like caramel flavored boiled eggs...ewww!!!

Does anybody here have a good flan recipe that they wouldn't mind sharing?

TIA :D
naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi

Comments

• kwepiecurlkwepiecurl Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hi Sully---I have been absent from the boards for a while, in fact it has been so long I could not remember my screen name or password and had to get a new one. Everyone who I have ever served this to has said it is the best they have ever tasted. I got is years ago from a Gourmet magazine.

CARAMEL FLAN
    3/4 CUP SUGAR
    2 CUPS MILK (REGULAR, NOT 1%, 2%, NONFAT, ETC)
    2 cups light cream (half & half)
    6 eggs

1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons vanilla

Heat an 8-inch round baking dish in oven.
    Place 3/4 cup sugar in skillet and cook over medium heat until sugar melts and forms a light brown syrup. Stir to blend. Pour syrup into heated baking dish. Quickly rotate to cover bottom and sides. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 325.

In medium pan heat milk and cream until bubbles form around edge of pan. Set aside.

In Large bowl beat eggs slightly. Add sugar and salt and vanilla. Gradually stir in hot milk mixture. Pour on top of carmelized sugar.

Set dish in shallow pan and pour boiling water in shallow pan to 1/2-inch level. Bake 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. Invert on serving dish.

NOTE: To make this very, very smooth you need to pour the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture extremely slowly, especially at the beginning to temper. I start out with just a spoonful or two at a time. Takes a while, but it is sooooo worth it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file