HELP

andriacandriac Registered Users Posts: 7
iHAVE BEEN TRANSITIONING FOR OVER A YEAR AND NOW THE ONLY STRAIGHT HAIR ON MY HEAD IS THE TIPS....i AM CONFUSED ON WHAT TYPE OF HAIR I HAVE ITS NOT A CURL BUT MORE OF A "S" PATTERN. AND IT IS VERY FRY AND BRITTLE WHEN i BLOW DRY IT. i HAVE TRIED TO USED SEVERAL SHAMPOOS BUT THEY ALL GIVE ME THAT SQUEAKY CLEN FEELING WHEN i WAS MY HAIR. mY HAIR ALSO FRIZZES LIKE CRAZY AND MY PATTERN IS NOT DEFINED AT ALL! i NEED SOME SUGGESTIONS ON HAIR PRODUCTS AND THINGS TO DO TO HELP MY HAIR GROW OUT AND MOST IMPORTANTLY STAY HEALTHY!

Comments

• liyahjayliyahjay Registered Users Posts: 15
    I would say that as far as hair type, you're in the type 4 range, because my hair is the same way. When it's dry, it's brittle and frizzes if not styled right. I'm still experimenting with products, but I've been told to steer clear of products with alcohol and sulfates. I've been trying Taliah Waajid's products and they've been good to my hair. I've also seen good results with Miss Jessie's products. You just really have to experiment and find what works best for you. It's ok to make a couple wrong turns because going natural is a learning experience. Hope this helps
    :afro:
    Hair type: 4b/4c
    Last perm: February 2011
    Big Chop: October 2011
    Reason for Transition: 1. perm chemicals are my hair's arch nemesis 2. desire to restore health and growth
  • andriacandriac Registered Users Posts: 7
    Ive been told that I was no where near the 4 range thats why I stopped using products that were really helpful to people in that area. and when i look at the pictures of the 4 range my hair looks nothing like that :( maybe if i post a picture it'll help
  • PearlsForCurlsPearlsForCurls Registered Users Posts: 86
    Do you have pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Transitioned from Dec 2011-Jul 2012

Now fully natural!:thumbright:

One year anniversary: Dec 28, 2012

Curl Type: The type that curls kinkily.
    Products: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Condit., Coconut Oil

"Wait, I'm doing it wrong!"
  • liyahjayliyahjay Registered Users Posts: 15
    42576bad-1b2b-52fb.jpg

I saw this chart in another post. I know it helped me
    :afro:
    Hair type: 4b/4c
    Last perm: February 2011
    Big Chop: October 2011
    Reason for Transition: 1. perm chemicals are my hair's arch nemesis 2. desire to restore health and growth
  • andriacandriac Registered Users Posts: 7
    its exactly like 2c but frizzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • curlangel0690curlangel0690 Registered Users Posts: 172
    The one thing I found helpful was not to look at the hair type but the properties of my hair. The biggest issue I found with the hair typing systems was that they described how my hair looked not the physical characteristics of my hair. Hair properties are the porosity, texture, density and whatnot. You can have hair that visually looks like it's 2c but is very coarse. Coarse hair has a lot of protein which makes it not very flexible. If you follow what products are normally recommended for 2c hair which are normally protein heavy and you have coarse hair you can actually cause the hair to become brittle and break off. There is a great website that discuss hair properties and you can even get your hair analyzed to tell you what properties your hair has. The site is Live Curly Live Free - Home I found it really helpful in trying to figure out what products to use. It sounds to me like what your hair might need is moisture. You might want to consider working in weekly deep conditioning to see if that helps. You will probably have to do it for a few weeks before you see a difference. HTH.
    "I'm not high maintenance, my hair is."
    3c mostly fine, high to normal porosity, medium density, normal elasticity

Co-Wash- VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, TreSemme Naturals
    LowPoo- GTTT
    RO- GVP Conditioning Balm
    LI- Giovanni Direct Leave In, GVP Conditioning Balm,
    Stylers- KMFUM, Eco Styler Krystal, AOMMM, UFDCM,
    Oils- Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Coconut
    PT- IAGirl's Gelatin PT
    DC- AS I Am Hydrating Mask

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list