are there any proteins lurking in this product?

hookilauhookilau Registered Users Posts: 269
Below is the ingredient list for SheaMoisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner. Can anyone find any proteins lurking in there?:scratch:

Deionized Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Argan Oil, Coconut Oil*, Behentrimonium Chloride, Essential Oil Blend, Vegetable Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax, Sea Kelp Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B‐5), Avocado Oil, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil.
Following CG
fine, medium-low density :confused5:
protein loving, porous, elasticity ?

Co-wash: Tresemme Perfectly Undone
LI/RO: GVP Conditioning Balm, Jane Carter Solutions Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
Stylers: KCCC, AG recoil, CurlKeeper, As I am curling pudding
Protein treatments: Aphogee's Keratin 2 minute reconstructor, and Colorful neutral protein filler

Loves: aloe, glycerin & polyquats even in neg dews
:happy3:

Comments

• Goin'GreyGoin'Grey Registered Users Posts: 301 Curl Neophyte
    Hookilau,
    Yes. Sea Kelp Extract has protein for sure.
    3A, Protein Senitive, Low Porosity,
    Med-Course
    Wash: Suave Naturals Conds (excluding Coconut), CVSB
    Rinse out/Leave In: GVP Cond. Balm, KCKT,
    Style: Naturelle Gel(winter HG), KCCC (summer HG), Flaxseed gel
    SOTC: JCNS
    Love your hair: Love yourself!
  • hookilauhookilau Registered Users Posts: 269
    damn it:sad2:

Thank you Goin' Grey. I bought & used the coordinating poo. No adverse affects at the moment but now I'm not sure I want to risk another nightmare. My hair doesn't feel particularly stupid, lol. Maybe this is a protein I can tolerate:blackeye:

How 'bout this list from Jane Carter LI:

Deoionized Water, Extracts of Aloe Vera, Comfrey, Watercress, Myrrh, Panthenol, Chamomile, Comfrey, Horsetail, Nettle, Rosemary, Hops, Henna, Certified Organic Essential Oil: Lemon, Vanilla Extract, Polyquarternium11, Soyamid DEA, PPG30, Cetyl Ether, Oleth-3 Phosphate and Phenoxyethanol

If this also has protein, I may have to re-think this whole thing.

I used Renpure My Hair is Parched and this stuff sent my hair into a tailspin :disgust: that I've only just started to get out from under.
    Following CG

LI/RO: GVP Conditioning Balm, Jane Carter Solutions Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
    Protein treatments: Aphogee's Keratin 2 minute reconstructor, and Colorful neutral protein filler

My friend Hookilau,
    The Hops is protein.
    Med-Course
  • hookilauhookilau Registered Users Posts: 269
    o.m.g.

it's in *everything*. :evil5: insidious. This confirms it for me though.

After attempting to go protein free to get over the Renpure thing, I re-traced my steps and think I've got it figured out. I'll spare y'all the details but...

It sounds (and is) ridiculously simple. I can handle the proteins in the Jane Carter line but in incremental doses. Duh. The combination of Renpure and Jane Carter just too much & this sent me into a tailspin.

I'm sticking with Jane Carter :love5::love5: annnnnnd it turns out Loreal Everclear is a good fit for this combination as well (at least for me).

Thank you for helping me to work through this.

It was just as others have described. I started to lose curl & JC products (with their proteins) perked 'em right up, as long as I don't over do it by adding additional protein laden products, I'm good. :afro:
    Following CG

• JessiebananaJessiebanana Banned Users Posts: 940
    Hmmm, maybe I'm not protein sensitive like I thought. I use and like this conditioner. Maybe it's just hydrolyzed proteins or hydrolyzed wheat proteins...no clue anymore :confused:. I think I'm just going to have to try stuff and go with it. If I hurt my hair it is just hair. I can always cut it.
  • JessiebananaJessiebanana Banned Users Posts: 940
    Hah! No, I'm not confused. Research leads to answers. I love this blog, she doesn't just say things she actually explains them. My inner science geek approves.

Like I've thought all along, you have to be careful with comparing natural products to commercial products because the ingredients often haven't been modified to be effective, which is good in this case. Just because an ingredient contains protein, doesn't mean that protein will have any effect on your hair! Most plant based ingredients have some protein, it's needed for plants and animals to operate. I can get all the fatty goodness from a whole Avocado and none of the nasty protein side effects!

THE NATURAL HAVEN: Size matters : Protein Conditioning (part 1 of 2)

As she explains it, proteins have to be broken up to be effective, since neither of these ingredients, the hops or the sea kelp, have any mention of being hydrolyzed like the quinoa in the Hugo Naturals Gel they won't be able to adsorb in your hair to build up and cause that stiff feeling. I guess you could always write the companies to be 100%. I don't know if companies are required to put that on the label. Downside to this is it's not as easy to make homemade protein conditioners for those that actually need them. The required chemical reactions have to happen first and most people don't carry strong acid and/or bases or enzymes in their house.

:wav: Now I need to get off the internet.
    Hoolilau, That is what I found also, I can use SOME protein ONCE IN A WHILE. For me I was thinking once every two weeks. And it also cannot be wheat protein. But they discontinued my beloved LA Curl Gel. That was my protein dose and I'd use it once every two weeks or so. Now I"m going crazy trying to find a protein gel that will not make my hair crazy when I need my dose. Needless to say I'm having bad hair days experimenting with gels.

Best to you all.
    Med-Course

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights