Ugh....THRUSH.

M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
This is my first time dealing with thrush, and E will be one in three weeks.

My nipples are sore, cracked, bleeding, NASTY. I don't see any sores/thrush in her mouth (at least when she opens it for me to look), although she has a nasty yeasty diaper rash from hell.

I've got my Nystatin or whatever, but what else can I do to make this go away faster? I am just about done with breastfeeding, so if I have to stop doing that, I will be fine with that as well, although I know it's not needed to clear up the thrush.

She got it because we just finished up 10 days of amox. for an ear infection, then another 10 days of Augmentin because the ear infection came back, but it was a double.
:rambo:

Comments

• medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    I hesitate to mention this, because it's a messy disaster: Gentian Violet. It works, though.

Check out this link:

Gentian Violet
  • M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    One of the nurses suggested that, and I have heard before that it works well.

After reading that site, though, I just hope that's what this is. I didn't know that the baby didn't have to have sores/thrush in the mouth...I figured that if I had it, then she did too.

Thanks for the link, medussa!!!
  • marielle448marielle448 Registered Users Posts: 1,823
    yup gentian violet or GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract, sold at wholefoods). Also make sure to treat everything that comes in contact with your nipples & milk (pump parts, bottles and bottle nipples)

eta: just went to look in the herbal kids & babies book and found this:

Plain yogurt (or if the baby is dairy sensitive then apple cider vinegar) applied in the mouth and letting the baby suck it in is great too.

Adopting a yeast-reduced diet (try to stay away from yeasted breads, etc and sugars adding more rice, beans, veggies and fish in your diet until you guys clear this).

Nude time for baby's bottom if the thrush has spread to the diaper area or Slipper Elm Bark powder dusted on any folds that tend to get yeast accumulation (both on the baby's body and the diaper area). Wipe or wash off and reapply several times a day.

Black Walnut infusion or preferably tincture can be painted in the baby's mouth and on mother's nipples in tough cases. Apply two or three times a day. The mother can also take the tincutre internally 10-15 drops two or three times a day. Avoid getting on clothing - it stains! Alternatively 3 drops of essential oil of thyme diluted in 2 teaspoons of almond oil can be applied topically as a fungicide.

A salve made from goldenseal, calendula, plantain, burdock, and chickweed will heal cracked and inflamed nipples. Oatmeal washes are also emollient and soothing to inflamed, irritated tissue (refer to cradle cap page).
    I did get some plain yogurt, and she also has some of that yobaby stuff.

I just can't believe how much pain my nipples are in.

She seems to be okay, but it's ME that's having issues, LOL.

Thanks, marielle!!! All of that is very helpful.
  • itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Registered Users Posts: 652
    i don't know if it would help, but i would think that probiotics would help both of you. i know i was terrified of getting thrush when i went on antibiotics for a uti. i asked the dr about probiotics, and she said i could take them, and the benefits would pass to the baby.

my cousin battled thrush, and she swears by the microwave sanitizers or sanitizing bags to use for all your bits and pieces of pump equipment. use it each time you pump. she said hers cleared up much faster after she started using that.
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....
    i don't know if it would help, but i would think that probiotics would help both of you. i know i was terrified of getting thrush when i went on antibiotics for a uti. i asked the dr about probiotics, and she said i could take them, and the benefits would pass to the baby.

my cousin battled thrush, and she swears by the microwave sanitizers or sanitizing bags to use for all your bits and pieces of pump equipment. use it each time you pump. she said hers cleared up much faster after she started using that.

Yeah, I do the probiotic thing anyways, so I am thinking that if I keep doing that and really get myself cleared up, along with sterilizing the bottles/nipples, we should be good. The nystatin is getting easier to get her to take, and that's good, too.

Thanks for the replies.
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    Oliver just had his two-month well baby visit, and he has thrush. :( I guess that explains the white patch I noticed in his mouth yesterday. And it might explain why I have a nipple crack after two months of mostly problem-free nursing. Oliver got a prescription for medicine--do I need to get medicine for myself too? Could I call my OB and have her phone in a prescription, or could I use something over the counter? I hope I can nip this in the bud soon before it gets worse. The doctor said he had a mild case.
    ehLB.jpg
  • mayimmayim Registered Users Posts: 2,301
    i had the best luck with probiotics (plain yogurt will do, too) and diluted acv.

i put the yogurt on my nipples and in her mouth a few times a day, and rinsed my nipples with acv solution after every nursing session.

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• SweetPicklesSweetPickles Registered Users Posts: 850
    sarah42 wrote: »
    Oliver got a prescription for medicine--do I need to get medicine for myself too? Could I call my OB and have her phone in a prescription, or could I use something over the counter? I hope I can nip this in the bud soon before it gets worse. The doctor said he had a mild case.
    I'm all for natural remedies when possible, but thrush can be really persistent, so I'd definitely treat yourself as well. When Vivi had it, I called my OB for a prescription, but then my pediatrician told me that he could have called one in for me and saved me the trouble. If you can insist on it, I would see if someone is willing to prescribe 1-2 full weeks of Diflucan for you. It's the same drug they give for a vaginal yeast infection, and usually you only get 1-2 pills total for that (which is what my stupid backup OB gave me). The shorter dosage for a vaginal infection is usually not effective enough for an oral infection - but studies show that a longer dosage works well in the mother.

As an OTC remedy in conjunction with the Diflucan, I used a topical, anti-fungal cream on my nipples several times a day. That's the stuff that you get in those pre-packaged doses for a vaginal infection. I found a CVS brand one that had the tube just of the cream separate from the insert gizmos and used that.

ETA: I also used a little antibiotic ointment on my nipples along with the anti-fungal cream, since I had several nasty fissues too.
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    Oliver has Nystatin and I got a 2-week course of Diflucan, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice, all. My sister and her DD got thrush when DD was a baby, and the Diflucan/etc. didn't work. Then she used gentian violet, which was successful. But she told me how it stains everything, so I'll use that as a backup if the other stuff doesn't work.
    ehLB.jpg
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Registered Users Posts: 850
    sarah42 wrote: »
    Oliver has Nystatin and I got a 2-week course of Diflucan, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice, all. My sister and her DD got thrush when DD was a baby, and the Diflucan/etc. didn't work. Then she used gentian violet, which was successful. But she told me how it stains everything, so I'll use that as a backup if the other stuff doesn't work.
    I'm glad they prescribed the full 2-week course of the Diflucan for you. Vivi got something other than Nystatin, an ingested oral med, so maybe that's an option if this round doesn't knock the thrus out (it's 6 am and I can't remember what it was called). Good luck!
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    You already got really good advice, so I just wanted to concur that thrush sucks! I swear, nothing ruins a great nursing relationship faster than thrush. Hope you can get it cleared up asap!
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file