On the subject of best COs for a co-wash

Wondering...of the cheapo conditioners...Suave, VO5, White Rain which have you found the most success with?? I'm trying to zone in on a product to co-wash with that will rinse out without leaving a heavy coating.

Suave made my scalp extremely itchy and laid a thick coating right on my roots. I was at the store and felt the White Rain Water Blossom and it seemed thicker and waxer than the VO5 cos. Of the varieties which ones have you had the best luck with?

Also to those who posted about Activate...thank you, thank you, thank you!! Bought some of their poo to rinse out a coating of conditioners and I'm extremely impressed after my first use! :D My hair feels soft, clean but NOT STRIPPED or STRAWLIKE...I hope this continues!! Followed up with EMBC (slowly becoming my HG) but I might have to try the Activate conditioner now! :wink:
2a/2b canopy 3a/3b underneath
Modified CG, co wash diluted VO5, LOVE Elucence MBC & MBS! Activate's nice too.
Still looking for a styling product...suggestions welcome!

Comments

• GrecianCurlsGrecianCurls Registered Users Posts: 256
    You read my mind strawbegone... i was just wondering this morning about cheap COs. When i first started the CO routine, it was under the direction of many of the ladies on longhaircommunity and thier philosophy is very much find a cheap conditioner and use loads of it and forget about styling products! I did very well for a year and it was very easy on my bank balance... i used to pay about 75p for a drugstore conditioner (thats about 40 cents i guess) and my hair seemed to love me for it! I think i've gotten a little carried away recently with trying every expensive conditioner out there and i'm thinking about going back to my old ways of using cheapo stuff.. problem is i'm in the UK but theres a TJ hughes nearby so should be able to get my hands on some US V05. Also, the higher quality stuff seems to weigh my hair down way too much, i recently brought some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence mbc[/buylink] and my curls are soooo weighted down.. i'm gutted because it feels so well moisturised but i don't think i can keep using it, i think my hair may prefer lighter (and possibly cheaper) conditioners. :roll:
    fine 3b curls and spirals - first goal BSL!!

HG's - Body Shop Honey shampoo & conditioner and Shea Moisture leave-in condish which gives me lovely frizz-free bouncy curls. My PJ is calling me to experiment with gels again... argh!
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Registered Users Posts: 821
    I like vo5 lime & kiwi, it is clarifying, it leaves my hair very clean, but I can't use it every time or it would dry my hair out, other times I use the different "flavors" of Vo5. It seems alot of people here don't like Suave, they say it makes their hair feel like straw, personally I don't want to risk it. As for Activate I LOVE the condtioner it has great slip, it is very moisterizing, and it is a great price. The DT is also really good, I use it too.
  • teela1978teela1978 Registered Users Posts: 278
    You might want to try diluting down the thicker (suave or white rain) CO's, this makes them pretty similar to the thickness of V05 in my opinion. Also look for ones with EDTA or Citric acid as those ingredients should help to reduce buildup.

Also, within a line there is a more variability between conditioners than you'd think. You might just have to keep playing with flavors until you find the right one. Or, if you're like me and in hard water town you might just need a weeklyish shampoo (I was pooless for 5 months straight in Colorado which has slightly soft water).
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
  • strawbegonestrawbegone Registered Users Posts: 36
    Tonight I was at Kmart and was wondering just that...how much variation is there really between the different flavors of VO5. I bought two tonight, one that I've heard so much about the Passion Fruit Moisture Milk Smoothie and the Lavender Silky Experience. When I read the ingredients between the Lavender Silky and the Champange Kiss Silky it looked like they had the EXACT same ingredients except for the fragrance. I went with the Lavender because I liked the smell better. I just wanted to get one that wasn't from the Moisture Milks line to try.

I'm gonna stick with these to try for now, maybe if I give them some time to work or I figure out the right mix (like adding distilled water) that might fix my coating problem. But my problem may be like yours, the hard water here and I may always have to go for a poo after a couple of co-washes. I have the Activate Hydrating shampoo and the Elucence poo standing by. But I know I don't want poo everytime anymore, my aging hair is just to dry to go back to my old ways.
    2a/2b canopy 3a/3b underneath
    Modified CG, co wash diluted VO5, LOVE Elucence MBC & MBS! Activate's nice too.
    Still looking for a styling product...suggestions welcome!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file