SUPER Dry Hair

VeE_BuGVeE_BuG Posts: 18Registered Users
Ok so i guess I would be considered as high porosity. My hair is so dry its ridiculous how much money I spend on products I try that in the end don't work. My hair used to be so moisturized when I was younger and first natural but now its just dry. The only products that make my hair soft are gel activators. However they leave my hair greasy, frizzy, and coated feeling. I like to use organic products but every one I've ever tried has failed me.
Here's a list of products I've used that didn't work too well. Maybe you guys can help from this:
Long Aid Curl Activator Gel
Curl Junkie Aloe Fix
Olive Oil Hair Milk
Beautiful Textures Curl Control
Camille Rose Moisture Butter
Beauty Without Cruelty Leave In
Giovanni Direct Leave In
Cantu Shea Soft
Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion
Hollywood Beauty Smoothing Hair Creme

These are a few of the products I've tried and none of them worked........I need some help on recovering my hair and getting my moisture back ladies please help

Comments

• GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Just a few questions:

1. What is your hair maintenance routine? Be specific.

2. Look at the ingredients in each of the products you listed in your post and compare the first five ingredients. Perhaps you're sensitive to one of them.

3. Do you deep condition, and how often? What DC do you use?

Perhaps those products aren't moisturizing enough for you. HTH.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • VeE_BuGVeE_BuG Posts: 18Registered Users
    Greatcurls wrote: »
    Just a few questions:

1. What is your hair maintenance routine? Be specific.

2. Look at the ingredients in each of the products you listed in your post and compare the first five ingredients. Perhaps you're sensitive to one of them.

3. Do you deep condition, and how often? What DC do you use?

Perhaps those products aren't moisturizing enough for you. HTH.[/QUOTE

Ok, I wash my hair (with shampoo) once a month. I Co wash once a week. After I wash my hair I DC with Tresemme Naturals, Avalon Organics, Herbal Essence, VO5 or any conditioner that I'd picked up to try. However, I've noticed that I haven't really been DCing lately though. I detangle with a denman after I let the conditioner sit on my hair for a few minutes. Then after I rinse the conditioner out, I apply whatever product I brought to try, seal with jojoba oil, and braid my hair in sections. Lately I've been doing henna treatments (the Mehendi 9 herb). And that's pretty much it. A few ingredients that some of the products have alike are glycerin, aloe vera, shea butter, and panthenol.
    Do the products you cowash with have protein or protein in them? Sometimes those ingredients will make your hair dry. Try using conditioners without those ingredients.

If not, try eliminating one product or ingredient at a time, and don't use that product/ingredient for a week. Begin with the henna treatments.

Some people have posted that aloe vera and shea butter actually makes their hair dry. I discovered a while back that shea butter does that to my hair as well as oils. However, I'm learning that when the shea butter and the oils are mixed with certain other ingredients, I don't have the problem.
    Yes, a few of the products I cowash with have protein in them, and I figured that could play a part. But the same thing goes for me. Some ingredients I use alone, my hair hates it. However, when I mix them with other products or ingredients they work fine. The problem is finding what works.
    Keep narrowing the products/ingredients down until you find out what the problem is.

Also, try a different DC, such as Jessicurl Deep Treatment or Curl Junkie Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix Conditioner. Though both have aloe in them, the other ingredients balance it so that the products are moisturizing for your hair.

Keep us posted!
    Thank you so much! And I will

Leave a Comment