CurlTalk

S/O: the Sartorialist

cailincailin Posts: 898Registered Users Curl Dabbler
I looked at the link Frau posted and everytime I look at the site I think: "are there really people who go about their day looking like they stepped out of a fashion mag?"

The "on the street" photos, are they real? Granted, I work construction. I go to work in jeans and steel toed boots everyday...and I come home dirty and smelly. I wonder why I'm single? Hm :wink:

But even when I worked in an office Boston I didn't look that good. I took the bus and had a mile walk from the bus stop to the office so I wasn't rokkin the sky high heels, trust me.

For some reason I imagine that the people of Milan and Paris are a lot more fashion forward than Red Sox fans but the NY photos give me pause. Where do these people work that they leave the house with perfect hair and makeup and can trek around the city in 6" stilettos?

On one hand I'm jealous that I don't have a reason to be fancy everyday. On the other, it seems like a lot of work.

Comments

• SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Mostly people who don't work typical office jobs and can use their clothes to express individual style.
    But yes, you see all types of fashion in NYC.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    Yes, there are people who walk around looking like they just stepped out of a magazine. I seriously doubt most do it every single day.

I adore fashion and I've always loved using clothes to express my mood and individuality. Some days I'm feeling funky or fancy and others I'm casual or sporty. Most of the time it's based on what I feel like rather than where I'm going (but I'm not as outgoing with it as I used to be). No matter what I wear I'm always ready to put on pajamas, and burn bra's, at the end of the day. :)

We switched to uniforms/dress code at work 3 years ago because people were coming in looking flat out shabby. When i say shabby I mean stained jogging pants with a saggy butt, hair looking like a rats nest caught in an oil slick, shirts that looked as if they had taken a long winters nap, with dust bunnies, under the couch. Not remotely okay for an office setting. It's a shame because we only had to dress nice 5 days a month. The rest of the time we could wear whatever we wanted. I hate it! I seriously feel like my life is being sucked out every time I put the polo shirt and khaki pants on. I don't despise polo shirts, or khaki, but I despise not having an option.

With that said, some things I have to admire from afar. Like the shoes in question. I love them but I've had foot surgeries and 20 min in kitten heels is pure torture. I could never wear those, but I love to look at them. I still buy heels and wear them places where sitting down will be a option. lol
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users
    I work in fashion retail, it's a whole 'nother world lemme tell you

Sent from my iPhone - blame autocorrect for everything strange
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users
    unrealted but somewhat related story:

so, last week i went to a birthday party dinner at alma cocina in atlanta ga. it shares it's lobby with the ritz carlton. anyway they were filming a movie in the lobby with....whathisname....uh....justin bateman. so, i walked into the lobby and watched justin walk toward the elevator among a group of say 30 impeccably dressed men and women. they looked like they were wearing giorgio armani. so i turned to one of the alma cocina waitresses who was also standing watching with me.
    i said, "wow, they look really great. are those extras?"
    she said, "yes."
    i said, "oh...but do the people who come through here look like that? i mean, do they dress like that?"
    she said, "lord NO!"
    i laughed to myself.

so cailin,
    just like you, i said, who are these people???
    guess what? some are not normal.
    some people i realized later were editors of fashion magazines, others were designers or models.
    they may be filmed at random but if you're filming on certain streets in front of certain buildings you're bound to get a more fashionable set than if you're filming in front of walmart.

when i first started looking at that site, this woman struck me:
    Picture+20.png
    i thought, who is she?? why does she dress so well?? how come he keeps running into her?? and in different countries??
    that is when i realized that some of these pictures are not as random as he'd like us to believe.
    oh...btw, that woman is giovanna battaglia.
    I hope you don't mean Jason Bateman. Because I'm just gonna shake my head at your lack of fangirling if it was him.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    I hate the fit of Giovanna's trousers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • damsel_flydamsel_fly Posts: 457Registered Users
    cailin wrote: »
    I looked at the link Frau posted and everytime I look at the site I think: "are there really people who go about their day looking like they stepped out of a fashion mag?"

Yes. There's a woman at work who dresses to the nines all the time. All the time. High heels, hair extensions (they thicken her hair), tanned (almost as much as that over-tanned lady in the news), fashionable clothes, fashionable jewelry, full makeup. Every day. None of the other clerical staff (or anyone in the entire department) comes even close to dressing the way she does.

Btw, she is the sweetest person.
    Saria wrote: »
    I hope you don't mean Jason Bateman. Because I'm just gonna shake my head at your lack of fangirling if it was him.

lol!! his name is jason bateman!
    girl, he's short in real life.
    that's the other thing i said to the waitress.
    if my cell phone didn't have such a crappy lens i would've taken a picture of him because they did that walk by scene at least 17 times.
    i stopped watching after the 3rd walk.
    Oh, I can tell. It's just he's Michael Bluth! I don't have the hots for him, I just love Michael Bluth. :p
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    claudine19 wrote: »
    I hate the fit of Giovanna's trousers.
    maggie.PNG

do you now? well...perhaps that is because there is no spandex in them.
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    I am no fan of spandex and its propensity for weird wrinkling, I assure you, Madam!

Now perhaps we may have our tea and discuss this year's flower show.

images-32.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • cailincailin Posts: 898Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    The first pic the lady's clothes and makeup and hair are all just a little too perfect. So perfect there's no way she's not in the industry. Not to mention her giant LV bag still has airline tags on it, and I think really? REALLY? This is how you look when getting off a plane?

The second lady I can totally see running into on the street. She seems like she's just going about her day in a cute skirt, cute shoes that seem comfy and pony tail.

PS: I covet that skirt, too cute.
  • cailincailin Posts: 898Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Then I see this pic and I think "Who are you? Where are you going? What are your plans that when you woke up this morning you thought 'you know, the oversized capri overalls, pink stilettos and a bra are the way to go today.'"
    Eh, I don't care for the second outfit. The first is cool.
    I have to admit I don't get the enjoyment of sites like The Sartorialist. It's like "here are these people who dress better than you ordinary scrubs; marvel at clothes you'll never wear unless you have truckloads of money or spend tons of time looking through stores, bins, etc.". Plus how often I find a look unappealing or just plain ridiculous. Eh.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    Some people take fashion very seriously as a means of self expression. It's not so unusual to see people dressed like that in major cities around the world. But maybe in the US it's limited to major-major like NYC, SF, and LA, plus their surrounding suburbs.

You guys may want to check out the sapeurs, a Congolese subculture dedicated to male dandyism.

e: I think I went over this about a year ago in another thread about fashion, but IMO it's worth repeating.

There's 3 tiers of fashion. There's wearing whatever's available because you don't have enough money to be choosy. There's choosing clothes in order to conform to your peer group's version of conventional good taste. And then there's selecting clothes artistically, as a means of personal expression. Although these tiers roughly correspond with social class, some areas have enough quirky cheap stores that people who aren't upper-class can dress artistically.
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    You guys may want to check out the sapeurs, a Congolese subculture dedicated to male dandyism.

wow, i've never heard of them.
    thank you!
  • sleepymekosleepymeko Posts: 1,002Registered Users
    It depends on where you live.

When I lived in Europe, people dressed up very nicely all the time. I rarely saw people wearing jeans or sneakers where I lived. Actually, that's how I could tell someone was American. It was because of how they were dressed. Most Americans tend to be a bit lazy when it comes to dressing up. So if I saw someone on the train wearing jeans, sneakers, and a T-shirt I knew straight away that they were American.

As for myself, I grew up in Miami and people there tend to dress up as well (there are also a lot of people from NYC that live there). California (where I live now is super casual). But most of my friends know that I NEVER wear jeans or sneakers. I'm used to having to put an effort in what I wear because I would look underdressed if I wasn't. Most of the time I'm overdressed in Cali, but I don't really care.

So yea, a lot of people do leave the house looking like that. I always try to look my nicest. I only wear jeans when I'm lazy and on the weekend, and even then I'm wearing a blouse to make up for the look.

Anyway, everyday I have "perfect" hair and makeup and dress nicely because that's how I like to present myself (always have my nails painted and eyebrows perfectly arched). It works against me in Cali since people assume I'm wealthy or stuck-up because I don't walk around in sweat pants.
    Check out my personal blog :afro:

s-event.png
  • sleepymekosleepymeko Posts: 1,002Registered Users
    cailin wrote: »
    The first pic the lady's clothes and makeup and hair are all just a little too perfect. So perfect there's no way she's not in the industry. Not to mention her giant LV bag still has airline tags on it, and I think really? REALLY? This is how you look when getting off a plane?

The second lady I can totally see running into on the street. She seems like she's just going about her day in a cute skirt, cute shoes that seem comfy and pony tail.

PS: I covet that skirt, too cute.

It should be noted, that European people dress up for the airport. I only noticed Americans dressing in super comfortable clothes. Trust!
    Check out my personal blog :afro:

s-event.png
    sleepymeko wrote: »
    When I lived in Europe, people dressed up very nicely all the time. I rarely saw people wearing jeans or sneakers where I lived.
    This probably varies a lot depending on where you are. I've been to a few cities in a few European countries, and I saw a lot of locals in jeans and sneakers. They'd just be nice jeans and nice tennis shoes. But if someone's wearing a T-shirt, crew socks, and running shoes, that's an American. And in my hometown here in the US, you'd stick out wearing that too.

e: There's a big difference between this and this
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    From what I understand, The Sartorialist (Scott Schuman) and his girlfriend, Garance Dore, another street style fotog, basically just shoot fashion folks--fashion editors, stylists, etc.--friends and friends of friends. It's very inside-baseball. Some of them are wearing borrowed clothes. Or so I've been told. And if you're working in the industry, you can get steep discounts on clothes--and fashion designers will send gifts. In the past, big name fashion editors get fashion allowances from their jobs, too. I don't know if it's still that way since the economy tanked.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I have always loved Ali McGraw's style.

82753711873183482_mIUdM24P_f.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPciyPEpNBlGysVMqMJyRfHdiu4JjK3eIb4k5pMhvZjBhhgph8QA

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVh0YVAGMwlLvKiOZzazVEPJJRtv6ja9pHcwGqNEwW9OsawTXj6Q

I love tailored/classic looks.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    My favorite fashion blogger Keiko Lynn typically always goes out with a lot of thought put into her whole look...which makes sense because her mission is to update her fashion blog as much as possible. But there's a lot of others like her (her blogosphere colleagues) who live to do the same. They may have other jobs but they want to establish themselves as street style subjects.

My impression of things is that the internet and fashion blogging is influencing Generation Y'ers in particular (though not just them) a little, especially who live in bigger cities, to always be sporting a look that really expresses their sense of style as they go about their lives.

But generally speaking, I think journo's post explains what's up with the Sartorialist well. He does shoot a decent amount of what seems to be non-fashion insiders (or at least he used to, I haven't checked out his blog in a while), just strong fashion enthusiasts. They don't typically look SO polished, but they're usually sporting thoughtful unique looks.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
    From what I understand, The Sartorialist (Scott Schuman) and his girlfriend, Garance Dore, another street style fotog, basically just shoot fashion folks--fashion editors, stylists, etc.--friends and friends of friends. It's very inside-baseball. Some of them are wearing borrowed clothes. Or so I've been told. And if you're working in the industry, you can get steep discounts on clothes--and fashion designers will send gifts. In the past, big name fashion editors get fashion allowances from their jobs, too. I don't know if it's still that way since the economy tanked.

oooh, really??
    hmph....i thought he was gay first of all.
    thanks for the inside scoop! borrowed clothes??!! interesting.
    xcptnl wrote: »
    I have always loved Ali McGraw's style.

82753711873183482_mIUdM24P_f.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPciyPEpNBlGysVMqMJyRfHdiu4JjK3eIb4k5pMhvZjBhhgph8QA

can we say girl crush!
    i used to love ali mcgraw.
    i read her autobiography.
    she still looks good.
    (look at her small breasts! a woman wouldn't be caught dead like that today!)
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users
    I've heard of a lot of famous people wearing borrowed clothes. Guess it's not a stretch for regular folks to be doing it too. You can also borrow/rent designer shoes, jewelry, and handbags.

Sent from The Brick
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
    midgi wrote: »
    I've heard of a lot of famous people wearing borrowed clothes.
    I get the feeling that borrowing clothes is more common for B-listers, whereas A-listers get free couture because it's a great way to advertise. Although, I've heard of A-listers borrowing clothes from museum collections and such. And the flashy fine jewelry women wear on the red carpet is quite often (if not almost always) borrowed, too.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    Some people take fashion very seriously as a means of self expression. It's not so unusual to see people dressed like that in major cities around the world. But maybe in the US it's limited to major-major like NYC, SF, and LA, plus their surrounding suburbs.

e: I think I went over this about a year ago in another thread about fashion, but IMO it's worth repeating.

There's 3 tiers of fashion. There's wearing whatever's available because you don't have enough money to be choosy. There's choosing clothes in order to conform to your peer group's version of conventional good taste. And then there's selecting clothes artistically, as a means of personal expression. Although these tiers roughly correspond with social class, some areas have enough quirky cheap stores that people who aren't upper-class can dress artistically.

This is certainly not the only theory of fashion adoption diffusion. There are lots of them. Another one is:

lower socioeconomic class - dress to express mood, personality, interests, self ID

middle class - dress to conform, dress to keep up w/ the Joneses, dress to be appropriate and acceptable

upper class - dress to showcase highest quality materials, craftsmanship, styling, dress to enjoy luxury items

There are all sorts of theories...some ring true and some don't as much.

• NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    One of my coworkers/friends always looks fantastic.

One of the keys is everything she owns fits her perfectly. She's a runner, so quite fit, which helps. But she loves shopping. She shops very often, and rarely buys things - because she only buys it if it's well below retail price, if it's at least decently made, and if it fits her well. If everything in your closet fits just right, you will look put together no matter how little attention you put into dressing on a specific day.

I would love to dress well, but I kind of hate shopping. It means I don't have as much clothing which fits me perfectly. I've discovered some brands/styles which fit me best, though right now everything's changing as I keep getting more and more fit through riding and building a lot of strength/muscle, too. This means I rarely look as well put together as my friend, and I am willing to accept that for lack of time spent in stores.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    frau wrote: »

oooh, really??
    hmph....i thought he was gay first of all.
    thanks for the inside scoop! borrowed clothes??!! interesting.

I should clarify that I don't know for sure who's borrowing clothes in the Sartorialist and who's not. It's a charge that I've heard a lot about a lot of street style blogs and fashionistas in general. The FTC requires bloggers to disclose when they've been paid to endorse something or have been given free swag. So a lot of times, in these personal style blogs, you'll see in the captions that the blogger is wearing a "gifted" pair of jeans, sunglasses, etc. Some of them make big money blogging, from advertising, etc.

Here's Schuman's girlfriend's blog.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    NetG wrote: »
    One of my coworkers/friends always looks fantastic.

One of the keys is everything she owns fits her perfectly. She's a runner, so quite fit, which helps. But she loves shopping. She shops very often, and rarely buys things - because she only buys it if it's well below retail price, if it's at least decently made, and if it fits her well. If everything in your closet fits just right, you will look put together no matter how little attention you put into dressing on a specific day.

I would love to dress well, but I kind of hate shopping. It means I don't have as much clothing which fits me perfectly. I've discovered some brands/styles which fit me best, though right now everything's changing as I keep getting more and more fit through riding and building a lot of strength/muscle, too. This means I rarely look as well put together as my friend, and I am willing to accept that for lack of time spent in stores.

ITA. If you (gy) put the effort to find quality, well-fitting pieces then you'll look put together.

I'm too lazy and stressed, not to mention broke, to do that. I LOVE reading (looking at?) the The Sartorialist. I don't necessarily like fashion, but I like "style."
    3c/4a