Flat iron/straightner reccommendations!

carmelwavescarmelwaves Registered Users Posts: 68
OK it's time for a new straightner/flat iron!!

I'm looking for one that;
*straightens hair easily
*Has lasting hold (AKA hair stays straight for more than 10 minutes)
*Works well
*Will cooperate with my hair type/style (see properties below)

What do you girls recommend? What would you say is the all around best hair straightner? I know a lot of you do't really straighten your hair much (which I totally understand) But I do flat iron my side bangs a lot. I need reccommendations! Thanks sooo much!
~A proud 2c who is so thankful to have stumbled across this site over a year ago!

Comments

• hippiedollhippiedoll Registered Users Posts: 398
    I have a T3 flat iron I forgot the name of it. It's pink and I purchased it from Sephora two years ago. It has several different temperatures on the dial. I usually flat iron on 300 and do 1-2 passes but I could flat iron on 260 if I do really small sections. It's a great first time flat iron. Eventually I want to get a CHI
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
      Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
      Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
      6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
    • hippiedollhippiedoll Registered Users Posts: 398
      Also the cost of the flat iron will run you about $100 I think I paid $99 plus tax for it at Sephora
      Products I'm currently :love10::
      • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
      • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
      • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
      • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
        Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
        Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
        6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
      • Curly-AsianCurly-Asian Registered Users Posts: 104
        I have 2B-2Cish hair, I think and it's very thick and frizzy in the back.

What I use is my Ultra CHI iron when I want a sleek and shiny look. I also use the CHI silk infusion, which is a little pricey, but I think it's worth it since you don't need a lot.
        Another thing is your technique also plays a big role. I see some girls just grab a chunk of their hair and straighten, but their hair may still look bumpy in some places. (Heck, I used to do that.)
        The comb-chase method is very helpful. Also, be sure to grab small sections. This might eat up some time, but if you want a straighter and sleeker result, it's definitely worth it.

I got my CHI when it was 120$, which I regret, because Ulta had a sale, 6 months later, and the Ultra CHI was priced for 99$, including the heat mat and a small bottle of the silk infusion.

You can check Folica.com for their flat irons. They usually have sales and promo codes so you can save money.

I bought my Solia flat iron there for only 55$, and that included shipping. I use my Solia to straighten my bangs, since it has temperature dial, therefore less damage to my bangs if I were to use my CHI.

Before and After with Ultra CHI iron:
        Before
        Before
        After
        After (The same day as above, after biking 15 miles in the hot sun, sweating my face off)
      • askmeaskme Registered Users Posts: 42
        hehe I have the Karmin G3 Salon Pro Styling Iron too :P , it's great indeed, I luv it because you can style your hair the way you like (straight, curly, wavy, flip) and keeps my hair smooth, shiny, frizz less and super straight. :D
        I totally recommend it ! And if you are interested I bought it at Karmin G3 Salon Pro Professional Ceramic Flat Iron - Best Flat Iron or if you aren't so sure check out the reviews at Flat Irons Reviews - Which is the Best Flat Iron? . :pl:
        Good luck ^_^ :bunny:
      • carmelwavescarmelwaves Registered Users Posts: 68
        thank you all, I will keep my eyes peeled for a good deal. I'm so glad I posted this now that I have some options ;)
        ~A proud 2c who is so thankful to have stumbled across this site over a year ago!
      • HelloBunnyHelloBunny Registered Users Posts: 23
        I have the sedu revolution and even when I had my relaxer, my hair was still very textured and curly and got it straight as a board, it can also crimp, and do different types of curls. I don't think it causes heat damage, but it's possible I guess.
      • TriMixDivaTriMixDiva Registered Users Posts: 255
        The Brocato has never failed me!
        TYPE: 3C
        Current State: Just bc'd but still growing out heat damage in the front that goes to the root
        High Density, Medium Porosity
        Length: Grazing SL curly with tons of layers
        Goal: MBL curly? 2019?
        Doing what I want when I want!
      • KimberlygKimberlyg Registered Users Posts: 1
        Hi, I've been using the original CHI flat iron for many years now (4+). I love this flat iron! I remember when I used a Revlon flat iron....how I managed with that I'll never know. I had used a friends CHI flat iron and knew that I had to have one. I have never used a better iron on my hair and it transforms my hair so well that I have a backup CHI still secured in it's packaging just in case the one I'm using dies.

I did have a CHI original die on me after a very short time that's what scared me into keeping a back up on hand. I had only dropped the flat iron a few times and then it stopped working. My hair is curly but I personally don't like to wear my hair natural so I always blow dry and flat iron. Always. My hair is very kinky, coarse, and weak. After I blow dry it looks like a huge, puffy, mess of straw and wires. It looks dry and unhealthy, not pretty after a blow dry. Then I use my CHI flat iron and my hair transforms, it becomes shiny, soft, and looks very healthy, usually.

I haven't used any other flat irons that are priced higher than brands such as Revlon etc. I've been reading the reviews on the Sedu and I'm dying to try that iron. I feel like I definitely need to try other irons out because I don't want to miss out on something better. For now I use the CHI though, I straighten each section and curl it at the same time, the curling adds body and helps my hair look as if it is naturally that texture. People never know I have such kinky hair until they see it wet!

My hair breaks very easily and I have never taken very good care of it. I've never, until now, had regular trims and considering I use heat on my hair each time I wash, well, you can imagine the split ends. I never used quality hair products aside from the chi silk infusion and I never used a thermal protector until now. I never knew the proper way to dry my hair, I always just twisted it up in the towel, and I never knew that brushing was a no no. I now own a wide toothed comb and never brush the hair unless I'm blow drying. And again, I didn't get hair trims, maybe once every 3 years! So keeping all of that in mind, the transformation I get from using the CHI flat iron blinded me into thinking I had healthy hair!

Finally after trying to search for a top of the line hair dryer, I learned how to properly care for my hair so hopefully I can actually have real healthy hair some day soon! In case anyone has ever wondered about the RUSK Speed Freak hair dryer I can report that it's ok. I expected more from it (based on reviews and the new hair brushes I bought and hair products, and the technique I learned etc). I've only used it once so far and all I can say is that it's just ok. I still spent the same amount of time on my hair. I went out to purchase the Sedu 4000i only the store didn't have it in stock and I'm so impatient I ended up buying the RUSK speed freak. I should have go the chi dryer or the t3. The RUSK speed freak is also very heavy!!

Well, I hope I was able to help someone out there!
      • LauraWolfhartLauraWolfhart Registered Users Posts: 57
        [FONT=&quot]For curly hair the BEST is Karmin G3 Salon pro Styling iron. It's got adjustable heat settings (up to 460°F if your hair is difficult), PURE ceramic and tourmaline plates for gentle heating and extra negative ions that will smooth down frizz and make the straighten last a lot longer. It's also dual voltage so you can use it anywhere in the world.

I have one and even the packaging is impressive. They give you a storage bag that can be pulled apart and turned into a heat mat! It's awesome.

Look at it here, I found the official site:

Karmin G3 Salon Pro Professional Ceramic Flat Iron / Hair Straightener[/FONT]
      • CurlyCutie1394CurlyCutie1394 Registered Users Posts: 348
        If you go to a beauty supply store you can find a RED by Kiss they're really good and wnt run more than $50-$60 including tax I've had mine 2 years and it works great and they get up to 450 degrees I think but 350 gets the job done
      • Jennifer.WilJennifer.Wil Registered Users Posts: 3
        The Karmin hair iron is a really good!! :profileright:
      • Aliciaj7Aliciaj7 Registered Users Posts: 1
        I personally love my Karmin! :blob4:
      • curl goddesscurl goddess Registered Users Posts: 220 Curl Connoisseur
        I had my CHI for about 6 years - no problems with it. My sister talked me in to getting a Solia. It's fine, has the variable temps, but really, I think the CHI was better made. Ill go back to the CHI after this one dies.....
        3a long thick -botticelli hair when there is humidity
        2c wavy w/curls if there isnt.
        currently using Bioterra & KMF in winter
        Jessicurl styling in summer
        Natures Gate poo & condish
        Thank you NC for bringing me back to curly!
      • CurlyAeriCurlyAeri Registered Users Posts: 21
        Instyler ! By far, it is the one with a rotating barrel with the brush attached so it gets your hair super straight and keeps it that way. Also the various heat settings is a great way to prevent burning out your hair, you can go from just a little little heat to hot as an oven lol
      • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Registered Users Posts: 773
        All my hairdresser friend swear by babliss
      • lorrierobinsonlorrierobinson Registered Users Posts: 1
        :lol:
      • Tr?n.Th?Tr?n.Th? Registered Users Posts: 4
        One thing very important to buy a hair straightener is choose the best type of plates and temperature setting. My recommendation is IZUTECH Ktx450 – best straightening products that I’ve used. Only 30 seconds, with 5 levels of adjustable heating from 90F to 450F. Very safe and convenient.
        See link: ww.besthairstraighteners.org/best-hair-straightening-products/
        :wave:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
      Emoji
      Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
      Drop image/file