Concerned about consultation with new stylist

NatatatNatatat Posts: 28Registered Users
Backstory: So I haven't had my hair cut in about 1.5 years, and haven't had a cut my current city in about 4 years. Problem is that it is very difficult to find a curl-friendly stylist here, which is my reason for not having a cut in forever. There are a handful of NC-reviewed salons, but the majority have very mixed reviews and none of the reviewers had hair more curly than 3a, while mine is 3c.

I had a consultation today with a senior stylist at a salon with great customer reviews (on Yelp, not NC). She assured me she has lots of curly long-term clients and that she wasn't intimidated by my hair (she said this after I told her my last experience, the stylist hardly did anything to my hair because I thought she was afraid after all of my rules and requirements), and she knows that due to shrinkage, cutting very careful, small amounts is best. However, she said she wouldn't feel comfortable cutting dry because "it's very hard to see and cut evenly when dry". Also during the consultation she didn't touch or really look at my hair at all, which I thought was a bit unusual since it was a consultation, we could have done it over the phone and saved me the 40 minute drive there and back.

Should I take this as a sign not to go to her? Is it really always a bad idea to wet-cut curly hair? I'm just so overdue for a cut and the salon/stylist is so highly-rated, but I also don't want to make a rash decision.

What to do?

Comments

• Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Some stylists can cut curly hair wet, so that's a matter of preference for you. I'd be more concerned about the fact that she didn't touch your hair or even look at it. That would worry me.
    The wet vs. dry cut is really a matter of preference. I have never had a bad wet cut, per se, but once I started getting my hair cut dry, I preferred it that way so much that I'd never go back to cutting it wet. My mom has very short hair, fine and thin, and she prefers her curls to be cut wet. It always comes out fine. So its a matter of your preference wet vs. dry.
    I don't know if that's helpful, but I'd be concerned about her not really looking at or touching your hair. I don't know how she's going to get a sense of your curls if she isn't really paying any attention to them in the consultation.
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
  • NatatatNatatat Posts: 28Registered Users
    Yeah, I think that her not touching my hair is what made me nervous about it the most, since I thought that was the whole point of a consultation. I'm not 100% opposed to a wet cut, I'm just concerned about too much shrinkage.

I think I'm going to call around and maybe have a few more consults to see if someone has a different approach that sounds better.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i would be concerned about the shrinkage if she cuts it wet -- 3c is a very tight curl, lots of shrinkage. and she should have touched your hair, manipulated it a bit for her to see....
    i agree you should keep on looking.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file