Eyebrows

risosrisos Registered Users Posts: 219 Curl Neophyte
What's better for eyebrows threading, waxing or plucking? Does anyone know of celebrities who pluck vs. wax vs thread so I can have pics of the differences?
[FONT=&quot]Medium Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity, Long, 3b, Brunette, Highlights.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
Shampoo-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Head and Shoulders[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Daily Conditioner & Leave In-[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing Conditioner[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Creme-Ouidad Curl Quencher Hydrafusion Curl Cream
Deep Treatment-Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
Highlights-Foils from the Salon[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Comments

• The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    I wax. But I think threading is better. It is more precise and less harmful to the skin. Plucking is impractical for removing many hairs IMO.

I dont know where you can get pics. Maybe try Anastasia or Shoba's web sites.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • midgimidgi Registered Users Posts: 2,409 Curl Neophyte
    I pluck. I think it's safer and it's so relaxing spending 10 minutes trying to grab every last little hair. I'm weird like that.

I also prefer my eyebrows to be on the big/thick side, so plucking works for me because I never have to pluck out lot of hair.

Sent from The Brick
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I switched to threading a couple of years ago. The results for me are more precise, better shape to my brows overall, and I don't have to go off retinoid products days before to help avoid my skin being ripped off along with the wax.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I get the wax strips done. Not the kind where the cloth rips it off, but the kind where the wax is applied directly. Nice shaping and less painful than threading.

Siri types my posts for me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Registered Users Posts: 5,640
    I loved threading. Right now, I'm plucking because I moved and haven't been brave enough to find a threading place where I now am (I'm extremely picky about who threads my eyebrows). I used to wax and they always made my eyebrows too thin. My eyebrow area also used to get super red, swell, and have little pimples pop out after waxing.
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I get the wax strips done. Not the kind where the cloth rips it off, but the kind where the wax is applied directly. Nice shaping and less painful than threading.

Interesting - I find threading far less painful than waxing. Definitely a YMMV thing.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    Yeah. :)

Siri types my posts for me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I've always just plucked. Waxing is imprecise and seems to remove too much hair...and too much SKIN! As a Retin-A user, I cannot tolerate waxing without ending up with a scab...not pretty.

I suppose threading would be good if you have a lot of find hairs that need to be removed and if you can find a good practioner.
  • irociroc Registered Users Posts: 7,890 Curl Neophyte
    I like to tweeze. I've threaded myself before. It's accurate, and gets the fine hairs above the eyebrow, but I still end up having to tweeze the middle. It's good for upper lip hairs too. Hurts a little.

It's easier to tweeze.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    How do you thread yourself?! Ive tried, but it is hard to learn.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • midgimidgi Registered Users Posts: 2,409 Curl Neophyte
    There used to be a really good threading tutorial on YT by a user named Eily. I almost got the hang of it, but it's a little too awkward when you have bum hands :)

Sent from The Brick
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
    I watched some youtube videos.

It was actually fairly easy. The hard parts are figuring out the right length of thread.

I liked how you can line up the thread w the angles of your brow. Gives nice shape.

I haven't threaded them a while. It hurts more :( but thats bc it's gets all the baby hairs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    There are some pretty cool springs that remove facial hair, even the baby hairs, but they're not recommended for eyebrows, because they are imprecise. Fast for mustache and sideburn hair though and doesn't damage the skin like waxing does.

How to remove unwanted Facial Hair Using Bellabe Facial Hair Remover - YouTube
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Registered Users Posts: 791 Curl Neophyte
    I get them threaded a couple times a year (usually once per season and before a big event) and then maintain by plucking. I find the shapes are cleaner and more natural than waxing and I don't have to deal with potential burns or issues with contaminated wax (germaphobe in the house!).

If you do decide to thread, go to Indian salon because they're usually cheaper. EX: the average cost of threading at a salon is usually $12+ before tip in my area, I get them done for $6 before tip.

And example of what my eyebrows look like threaded. Pardon the face, the photo was taken mid-storytelling.
    P5100054_copy.jpg
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
    My avvie shows my brow waxed. And I use concealer to clean up between waxings.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Registered Users Posts: 2,098
    I wax but want to try threading. I can't pluck since my eyebrows are very fine blond hairs
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    I used to wax because threading is much more painful but I'm used to threading now. I got waxing done at an indian salon and at the end they would thread to make it precise so my tolerance for threading went up slowly after that. It also really depends on the beautician, some are more harsh than others.

Usually threading gives the most precision but I believe it can be achieved by waxing as well. I also don't need that much precision, I like a little bit of 'naturalness'. I like the fact that with threading there's no pulling of the skin.
  • claudine19claudine19 Registered Users Posts: 4,486
    Nothing I've ever had done to myself, including botox shots and a tattoo, has ever hurt as much as threading, imo. It felt like someone took a razor to my skin.

I walked away in a daze. That was November; six months later, I'm still growing out the results. Never again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • risosrisos Registered Users Posts: 219 Curl Neophyte
    What happens when you try growing your eyebrows back after a mistake, does it look bad??
    [FONT=&quot]Medium Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity, Long, 3b, Brunette, Highlights.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    Shampoo-[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Head and Shoulders[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Daily Conditioner & Leave In-[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing Conditioner[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Creme-Ouidad Curl Quencher Hydrafusion Curl Cream
    Deep Treatment-Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
    Highlights-Foils from the Salon[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • notegalnotegal Registered Users Posts: 560
    Risos, the best way to deal with it is to go to the store and get an eyebrow pencil to lightly fill in your space or spaces. It gives the illusion that you have eyebrows. Find one that best matches the shade that you need and go from there. I occasionally get pluck happy and need to fix it, but then once it grows back they look fine.
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

This makes me want to start threading again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    risos wrote: »
    What happens when you try growing your eyebrows back after a mistake, does it look bad??

It's a bit messy, but I have bangs, so that helps. What's strange though is that some of the hairs stick out while they're growing, so I try to remember to use clear mascara.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HropkeyHropkey Registered Users Posts: 572
    Where I get threading is extremely gentle, and I have very sensitive skin. I have thick eyebrows and waxing would always make my brows so thin and harsh. Plus, the place where I went to get waxed always burned me. And it's cheap! $10, much less than any good waxing I've found.
    Mod CG as of 10/18/08
    Using: Suave Naturals, L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss, LA Looks Sports Gel.
    "We’ll not live like this. They will try to bury us with false manifestos, inscribe us in wars against false enemies but we’ll sing songs about dying from loving the wrong cowboy and gospel; our bodies will burn in effigies of promise. I swear."

-Ibi Kaslik
    I wish I'd had a good experience with threading, but never again. Too thin and too painful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    I pluck daily with these:

SEPHORA COLLECTION Pointed Tweezers: Shop Brow Tools & Tweezers | Sephora

SEPHORA COLLECTION Premium Slanted Tweezers: Shop Brow Tools & Tweezers | Sephora

Daylight 10X Cosmetic Mirror - Bed Bath & Beyond

Used to always use Tweezerman, but the quality has gotten to be somewhat variable, and I need very precise tools since I'm using for brows, upper lip, and ingrown chin hairs. The reviews drew me to try the Sephoras, and I haven't been disappointed in either style. The mirror doesn't distort like others I've tried, though I wouldn't recommend it for makeup application - it's just too big and close-up for that for me, LOL, but YMMV.

I have very fair skin and coarse, black hairs that you can see even under the skin. If I let them grow out enough to wax, thread or even use one of those springy things RWC mentioned, I look like a wooly booger. So, instead, I just pluck a little every night. Investing in the right tools has made that much easier and quicker.

I've been thru two series of laser treatments that didn't help that much in the first place and certainly hasn't lasted. I know of a supposed very good RN electrologist, and if I can ever find the time, I may give her a try. I used one of those One Touch DIY contraptions very successfully on the right side of my brows and upper lip, less so on my chin, and that has lasted for 10 years, so I'm open to trying a professional. Much less successful on my left side - couldn't get it angled correctly with my rightt hand, and I'm not dextrous enough to use my left.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file