We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Loose=not tight. Lose=the opposite of to gain. Just sayin'.

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,742Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
This common mix-up irks me. Saying/writing "suppose" instead of "supposed" irks me more, e.g., if you mean "ought to," include the d. If you say, "I suppose" to mean "I guess," no d.

Please include the "d" if needed. Why? Because you are supposed to.
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Oh man, please don't go their again!
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    ^^:laughing6: You're a pip, Speck!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I saw "loose" instead of "lose" yesterday in a presentation in a graduate class. C'mon, people!
    ehLB.jpg
  • rileybrileyb Posts: 1,975Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Add 'could of'/should of' instead of could have/should have and 'cloths' instead of 'clothes' to that list.
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes. And it's "voila!" not "walla!"
  • amandamarieamandamarie Posts: 240Registered Users
    "I could care less."

Really? 'Cause I COULD care less about you using that phrase incorrectly too, but it annoys me.
    2a/b (really thick but sort of fine with pretty weak waves), medium-to-fine texture, normal porosity (I think). Doesn't seem to like protein.

Favorite products: Kinky-Curly Knot Today, Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion, Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk, homemade flaxseed gel.

Still looking for a cleanser I like. :dontknow:
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Supposively
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    Supposively

Supposably
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users
    Irregardless!

I know it's a "word" but it still bugs me nonetheless.

Sent from The Brick
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    midgi wrote: »
    Irregardless!

Sent from The Brick

No its not. Its just not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LAwoman wrote: »

I thought 'walla' was just a play on 'voila' that became its own term.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    Intensive purposes.

Seriously. It's intents AND purposes.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users
    iroc wrote: »
    midgi wrote: »
    Irregardless!

Sent from The Brick

No its not. Its just not.

Lol!

Gekko, I had a teacher in high school who constantly said that expression incorrectly. So much that even students started saying "for all intensive purposes."

Sent from The Brick
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Supposively

suppository? :shaking:
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Neophyte

That's what happened here. Someone said "wallah!" by accident and the rest of us picked it up. At least that's why I say it; I can't speak for Gekko. :laughing6:

Another one that people say/write is mineswell instead of might as well. That one makes me scratch my head.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte

That's what happened here. Someone said "wallah!" by accident and the rest of us picked it up. At least that's why I say it; I can't speak for Gekko. :laughing6:

Another one that people say/write is mineswell instead of might as well. That one makes me scratch my head.

I was just speaking generally, not about nc.com in particular. I never knew there was any "inside joke" about it here on this website.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,742Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Yeah, I thought "walla" was intentional.
    Mineswell, I've never seen. smh...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    They're, their, there. They are all different and used for different things as are your and you're! Ahhh this one irks me to no end. My ex could never get them, and texts from him would make me cringe lol. He would just use them interchangeably, hoping he'd be right once in awhile.

I also have a friend that says "tell" instead of "til" as slang for until. Tell? That bugs me to when I see it on Facebook or in a text. I resist the urge to say something every time.

Sent from my "smart" phone, 'scuse crazy typos.
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    Cominsence

On my EVO. I'm too fancy for proofreading.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif

I was just speaking generally, not about nc.com in particular. I never knew there was any "inside joke" about it here on this website.

I meant generally.

I think mrspoppers was just adding thats how it evolved here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    I had a manager that would continuously say, "posed to" instead of "opposed to". Drove me nuts!

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • juicyfruitjuicyfruit Posts: 751Registered Users
    The word is ridiculous, not rediculous. Just saying.
  • SusieSuzeSusieSuze Posts: 524Registered Users
    I've given a lot of thought to why it is that our general ability to use English correctly has declined so drastically. I am 51 years of age, so I grew up without a cell phone or computer. I used REAL carbon paper when drafting up office memos that were written by hand. I used a dictaphone for the girls in the typing pool to type my letters. I may have written to a few pen pals by old fashioned mail through Canada Post. I did not spend several hours a week writing about my thoughts or opinions on a particular subject.. writing was not something many people did for fun or creativity. I realize I was exposed to the written words of only a few people who were not professionals.

We are now exposed to the writing of MANY, MANY different people, outside of our peer groups and professions. People who, perhaps, had better skill sets at other subjects in school. We get to blatantly see how well these people were taught how to spell in school. We didn't get to see much before.

I would guess, too, that spelling is just not as important to teachers anymore.

Even though I understand all this, it still DRIVES ME CRAZY when I see grammar and spelling mistakes that show, so obviously, the ignorance or the blatant disregard of the writer. I wonder, why the hell, if the person KNOWS that they are not spelling correctly, that they would put their words out there, for all to see. Why would they not care to use words correctly so that their statements can be taken seriously? What is the point of writing if the reader is looking at you as either not well educated or a lazy ass?
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    The only time I get pissed is when it's some a$$ who wants to be ULTRA intelligent and is using bad grammar/spelling. Racists, condescending people, and let's not forget the "Jesus said" crowd. The worse with telling you how stupid/unsaved you are.. And just messin' up the whole conversation.

If you're trying to make me look dumb... Don't look DUMBER!

Jen :D

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4 using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2FAfroCurls.wordpress.com" class="Popup
    :afro:FroZen:afro:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file