Strange Pet Habits

CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
One of my cats loves to lick water off the side of the bathtub :lol:

She won't drink out of the tub, or a cup from the tub, but she wines if there isn't any water on the ledge for her to lick! So weird :geek:
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn

Comments

• FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    The cat prefers to drink from the dog's water bowl instead of his own.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My sister's cat likes to walk with me to get the mail, and when I take the trash bins out. He seriously acts like a dog.

My cat likes to eat her food one kibble at a time. She scoops one out and wedges it between her paw pads and lifts it up to her mouth. It's really bizarre-looking, but according to Youtube, a lot of cats eat like that.

Sent from The Brick
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • amandamarieamandamarie Posts: 240Registered Users
    Whenever I open the fridge, if he's nearby, my cat hops inside. I've shut the door and left it closed for a few seconds a couple times to scare him and make him realize what might happen if he does that and I don't see him, but he doesn't care; I open it and he's curled up around my water pitcher.
    2a/b (really thick but sort of fine with pretty weak waves), medium-to-fine texture, normal porosity (I think). Doesn't seem to like protein.

Favorite products: Kinky-Curly Knot Today, Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion, Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk, homemade flaxseed gel.

Still looking for a cleanser I like. :dontknow:
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Whenever I open the fridge, if he's nearby, my cat hops inside. I've shut the door and left it closed for a few seconds a couple times to scare him and make him realize what might happen if he does that and I don't see him, but he doesn't care; I open it and he's curled up around my water pitcher.

Lol!!!!!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn

I think we need a picture of this.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
    The dog absolutely must sniff every inch of the yard before she will use the bathroom after it has rained. It doesn't matter that she has lived here for almost 11 months.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've told this before, but Sasha was an orphan. A lot of the behaviors that we associate with cats are actually taught by the mother, things like cleanliness and how to play nice. Some things sunk in better than others.

When I found her she did not have the motor skills to clean herself. I was very vigilant about cleaning her at all the instructed times. Now I have a neat-freak cat that's overly concerned with her appearance and has zero fear of water. Messing up her hair, or touching her where she just cleaned are bite worthy offenses. And in case you've ever wondered, a cat not afraid of water = a cat frequently ending in the tub with you, either purposely or on accident.

She likes salad. She begs for it every day. If you don't give her any, she'll steal it and take off running.

She rarely sleeps on the bed or couch, but she won't sleep on the floor either, at least directly. She has to sleep on something that's on the floor. She doesn't care if it's the nice cozy towel, or a small piece of candy wrapper someone dropped. As long as part of her is not on the floor, it's all cool.
  • NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My cat will not go potty if you are watching her. She needs to be alone. Regardless of having a covered litterbox she will leave if you walk in while she is in there or sit and wait, starting you down until you leave.

She also loves deli turkey meat.
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • amandamarieamandamarie Posts: 240Registered Users
    Nej wrote: »
    My cat will not go potty if you are watching her. She needs to be alone. Regardless of having a covered litterbox she will leave if you walk in while she is in there or sit and wait, starting you down until you leave.

She also loves deli turkey meat.

Ahaha very particular kitty!

I would post a picture of my baby in the fridge if I had one, but I don't. Someday! I keep meaning to take one.

He also does this thing that I think other kitties do where he scratches at the floor around his food dish like he's burying something in the litter box. I THINK he's trying to save some leftovers. :laughing6:
    2a/b (really thick but sort of fine with pretty weak waves), medium-to-fine texture, normal porosity (I think). Doesn't seem to like protein.

Favorite products: Kinky-Curly Knot Today, Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion, Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk, homemade flaxseed gel.

Still looking for a cleanser I like. :dontknow:
  • nes223nes223 Posts: 347Registered Users
    My cat loves to watch animal planet...any nature show really. He will sit on the couch between my bf and I and watch tv...like really watch tv haha I swear! I've got to record him sometime.
    -nes
    3a/3b
  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users
    After a bath, my german shorthair pointer will rub herself along the side of the house and thrash around. I'm guessing it's because the house is stuccoed and she thinks it will dry her faster....
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    My dogs like to take mouthfuls of food, walk away from their food bowl, and then drop them on the floor... And then eat them, bit by bit, off of the floor.

Except, they don't always eat all of the pieces. Little jerks.

They both do this! I still don't understand why!

They also do this thing where they "fight" over who gets the better crate, when we're putting them in there before we leave the house. Except that the "better crate" changes daily! They'll both try to walk in there at the same time, and then finally one of them (again, it changes every day) concedes and goes to the less awesome crate. It's the funniest thing to watch. Other times, one will rush into the room before the other, and hurriedly pick out the better one, and the other will get all mopey and walk over to the other crate!

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • divegirldivegirl Posts: 1,286Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My cat Corona likes to sit on the end cushions of the couch. I guess he likes being a little higher up. Unless someone gets off the couch, in which case he will race over to sit where their butt was. He is also obsessed with food. If I leave a plate unattended, he will steal food off it and run off with it, then growl at me when I try to get it back. He's also been known to swipe string cheese right out of my hand.

He is also the most unathletic/uncoordinated cat I've ever met. He regularly fails at jumping on the couch when he tries to jump up from the ground.
  • RideTheLightningRideTheLightning Posts: 96Registered Users
    My dog cleans his paws like a cat! Whenever he comes back inside he'll sit there licking and cleaning his paws for like half an hour.
    He also snorts a lot. If he begs for food and we tell him no he snorts and walks away. Same if he wants us to pet him or play with him and i'm too busy. Also, if he gets really excited about me coming home or telling him he gets to go "bye bye" he starts rubbing his mustache on the carpet and snorting, lol!
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
  • missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    SCG wrote: »
    My dogs like to take mouthfuls of food, walk away from their food bowl, and then drop them on the floor... And then eat them, bit by bit, off of the floor.

Except, they don't always eat all of the pieces. Little jerks.

Jordan, one of the kitties my ex ended up with did this. She just couldn't eat out of the bowl for some reason.

Aillidh doesn't lap water from the bowl, he sticks his paw in and licks his paw. Of course that gets litter that's stuck in his paw in the water. :clown: He also loves nacho cheese doritos but only one, he won't eat more than that.

All the cats LOVE to lie on the floor when it's been freshly swept.

Salem is a very vocal kitty, she has complaints about pretty much anything. When she's more vocal than usual it's usually because one of the food bowls is empty or the litterboxes need cleaning.

When one of the cats are stuck in the closet Willow will be sitting outside of said closet or the doorway of the room and hollering to let us know Timmy's in the well!!
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • ChikyuuChikyuu Posts: 268Registered Users
    My dog oftentimes like an overtired toddler will start into a spring of a large circle or figure 8 to tire herself out before bed.

One of her favorite toys is a flat basketball.
    PhoneCurtainScale.jpgPhoneFrontScale.jpgWEbcamHaircutscale.jpg
    2c or something MODCG Since December 2011!
    New May 20th Routine
    Low-poo:SheaM
    Co-wash:VO5 KiwiLime or VanillaMint
    LI:TN, Regis OliveOil Condish, GVP CB
    Styler: LALSG
    Daily routine: Cleanse, LI, soak with water, scrunch in gel, plop, pixie diffuse, air dry.

• curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    FieryCurls wrote: »
    The cat prefers to drink from the dog's water bowl instead of his own.
    Nej wrote: »
    My cat will not go potty if you are watching her.

My cat does both of these!
    SaraNoH wrote: »
    After a bath, my german shorthair pointer will rub herself along the side of the house and thrash around.
    SCG wrote: »

Except, they don't always eat all of the pieces.
    My dog cleans his paws like a cat!

My dog does all of these!

More to add: My cat does that howl-y meow after using the bathroom. I think its after defecation. :lol:

She also likes rubbing her face on the used washcloths. This process is assisted by the dog who steals them from the bathroom and drags them to another room.

I have discovered this to be common but I find it strange that my dog drags our laundry (usually our pajamas and unmentionables) out into the living room.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love the term 'unmentionables'.

Eddy has a thing for suckling on my left elbow and only the left!
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I used to have a Pug dog who licked walls. Just random walls. She licked the wall outside my bedroom door so much that she wore a hole straight through the sheetrock.
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    I used to have a Pug dog who licked walls. Just random walls. She licked the wall outside my bedroom door so much that she wore a hole straight through the sheetrock.

Oh yeah. One of my dogs likes to lick things too... He seems to favor table legs and leather couches. It's so funny to watch, because he feels the need to "sneak" licks instead of outright licking things. So when he thinks no one is looking, he'll stick his tongue out (without moving the rest of his snout) further and further until he makes contact with the couch/table/etc. :lol:

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My dog likes to lick the soap off my shoulder when I take a tub bath. She props herself up on the tub ledge and starts licking once she knows I've soaped up. She's done that since she was tall enough to reach. I only let her get a couple of licks in, though, because I don't want to take a chance on the soap making her sick.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • moodydovemoodydove Posts: 1,721Registered Users
    If I show up while my bird is eating, he'll stop and go back to his perch and start doing something else like cleaning himself or playing. Eventually he goes back to eat. Also, he yells at squirrels
    Big chop: 5/30/10
    CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
    Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
    Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
    Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
    Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
    DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
    Cleanser: Bentonite clay
  • NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    moodydove wrote: »
    If I show up while my bird is eating, he'll stop and go back to his perch and start doing something else like cleaning himself or playing. Eventually he goes back to eat. Also, he yells at squirrels

Try eating around him and see what happens. Birds are social eaters and get mad if you eat and do not provide food for the whole flock. If he still wants privacy to eat them I suspect he is a Russian spy and to proceed with caution.

Sent from my iPhone - blame autocorrect for everything strange
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • diasporadiaspora Posts: 596Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OMG these are hilarious, I want to "like" every post!!

My cat, when looking out of the window at birds in the tree, makes these noises that sound like chirping/barking. She doesn't sound like a cat at all! Sometimes she does it even when she's just near the window with the tree outside of it but not looking at them. I guess she can hear or smell that the birds are there.

She also sometimes takes a big bite of food and carries it outside of her food dish to eat, just like someone's dog does. Maybe this is some instinctual thing cats and dogs did when they weren't domesticated, like take your meat away from the animal you just killed so predators won't find you?
    Formerly Urbancurl.
    Medium-high density, fine-medium, low-normal porosity, 3b/c, permanent color.
    CG, no heat, combs, brushes, parabens.
    Fall/Winter HG=Alba Botanica Soft Hold Style Cream.
    Spring/Summer HG=MGA Sculpting Gel
    Current fave LI=Madre Labs Made by Nature for Baby Conditioner.
    Limit oils, butters, glycerin.
    diaspora wrote: »
    OMG these are hilarious, I want to "like" every post!!

My cat, when looking out of the window at birds in the tree, makes these noises that sound like chirping/barking. She doesn't sound like a cat at all! Sometimes she does it even when she's just near the window with the tree outside of it but not looking at them. I guess she can hear or smell that the birds are there.

She also sometimes takes a big bite of food and carries it outside of her food dish to eat, just like someone's dog does. Maybe this is some instinctual thing cats and dogs did when they weren't domesticated, like take your meat away from the animal you just killed so predators won't find you?

Haha I know what noises you're talking about! One of my cats does this too. It's soo weird! :)
    -nes
    3a/3b
    Anyone else's cat tear cardboard boxes to shreds? They never eat the cardboard but they will tear a box into a thousand little pieces...
    -nes
    3a/3b
    nes223 wrote: »
    Anyone else's cat tear cardboard boxes to shreds? They never eat the cardboard but they will tear a box into a thousand little pieces...

Yes. The dog will eat what the cat shreds. They're a wonderful team.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    nes223 wrote: »

My mother's cat did this for about four years and then quit.

You can see a cat do it in this funny cat video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXBL6bzAR4

Siri types my posts for me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    Poe eats hair. if you are laying down she she wrap herself around your head and begin to chew. if you move before she is through sh ewill use the claws to keep you in place.

when she uses the litter box, she stratches everything with in paw's reach. the walls, floors, everything, but the actually litter in the litter box.

when i cook she must watch, and lawd help me if its fish.

if you leave a bowl of spagetti, you will find her slurping up noodles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file