Have Y'all Seen This? [George Zimmerman Article]

WileE-DeadWileE-Dead BannedPosts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
Reuters' Chris Francescani has written a detailed article that paints a far more sympathetic portrait of George Zimmerman than most media coverage to date.

Francescani visited the Twin Lakes neighborhood in Sanford, Florida where Zimmerman shot unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin in February.

He talked to many residents of the neighborhood, who provided details about Zimmerman and a recent crime spree that had plagued the neighborhood in the months before the shooting.

The George Zimmerman that Francescani describes is quite different from the "violent racist vigilante" that many have made him out to be.

The background information doesn't make what happened any less tragic, but it does provide more color about Zimmerman's behavior.

Here are some of the details that Francescani reports:

• Zimmerman grew up in a mixed-race household
  • He was an altar boy at his Caltholic church from age 7-17
  • He is bilingual
  • After he finished high school, he studied for and got an insurance license
  • In 2004, Zimmerman and a black friend opened an Allstate insurance office (which soon failed)
  • Zimmerman's 2005 arrest for "resisting arrest, violence, and battery of an officer" occurred after he shoved an under-cover alcohol control agent at a bar when the agent was trying to arrest an underage friend of his (he was 22 at the time)
  • Zimmerman married his wife, Shellie, in 2007. They rented a house in Twin Lakes. Twin Lakes is about 50% white, 20% Hispanic, and 20% black.
  • In 2009, Zimmerman enrolled in Seminole State College
  • In the fall of 2009, a pit bull broke free twice and once cornered Shellie in the Zimmermans' yard. George Zimmerman asked a police officer whether he should buy pepper spray. The cop told him pepper spray wasn't fast enough and recommended that he get a gun.
  • By the summer of 2011, Twin Lakes "was experiencing a rash of burglaries and break-ins." In several of the cases, witnesses said the robbers were young black men
  • In July 2011, a black teenager stole a bicycle off the Zimmermans' porch
  • In August of 2011, a neighbor of the Zimmermans, Olivia Bertalan, was home during the day when two young black men entered her house. She hid in a room upstairs and called the police. When the police arrived, the two men, who had been trying to take a TV, fled. One of them ran through the Zimmermans' yard.
  • After the break-in, George Zimmerman stopped by the Bertalans and gave Olivia a card with his name and number on it. He told her to visit his wife Shellie if she felt unsafe.
  • The police recommended that Bertalan get a dog. She moved away instead. Zimmerman got a second dog--a Rottweiler.
  • In September, several concerned residents of the neighborhood, including Zimmerman, asked the neighborhood association to create a neighborhood watch. Zimmerman was asked to run it.
  • In the next month, two more houses in the neighborhood were robbed.
  • A community newsletter reminded residents to report any crimes to the police and then call "George Zimmerman, our captain."
  • On February 2, 2012, Zimmerman spotted a young black man looking into the windows of a neighbor's empty house. He called the police and said "I don't know what he's doing. I don't want to approach him, personally." The police sent a car, but by the time they arrived, the man was gone.
  • On February 6th, another house was burglarized. Witnesses said two of the robbers were black teenagers. One, who had prior burglary convictions, was soon caught with a laptop stolen from the house.
  • Two weeks later, Zimmerman spotted Travyon Martin and called the police. The last time he had done this, the suspect got away. This time, he disregarded police instructions and followed. A few minutes later, Martin was dead.
Again, none of this makes Trayvon Martin's death any less tragic. But doesn't it make you feel a bit differently about Zimmerman?

HERE'S THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE

George Zimmerman: Prelude to a shooting | Reuters

[this info came from another forum]
0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

Comments

• scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    No. Posting this article on further degrades my opinion of you.
  • forbeeforbee Posts: 441Registered Users
    I knew most of this information before.

I have to say that it does not change my opinion. Why? Because it sounds like excuse-making to me. Why is it that whenever a white person kills someone, we have to investigate their background and uncover their psyche? Something had to be wrong with them, something had to trigger what they did. Maybe they had a personality disorder, maybe they were having problems with people of a certain race, maybe they were having problems with their wives. But when a minority does the same thing--oh, they're just dangerous killers. Or terrorists. That's it. They aren't awarded the privilege of being the product of their environment just as the white killer is.

I'm not saying that I don't feel a thing for Zimmerman at all or that I think he is just evil, period. I don't wish him dead or anything, but I do want justice, because he killed a kid. And now the family is left suffering worse from this senselessness than Zimmerman probably will. I know that if I lost my brother (only two years older than Trayvon was, wears hoodies a lot, but is more sensitive and polite than most people I know), I would be devastated, and it would hurt me to see people come to the defense of the person who killed my brother because of how other black guys treated him...!

I want to mention that plenty of us have had bad experiences of people of other races, including ones that make us fear for our lives. Does that mean that we all suspect the next random person of that race as a potential criminal? If I were sexually abused by a white man when I was a child, does that mean I should automatically suspect all white men as pedophiles? Should I stop being friends with all my white friends because of all the white people who refused to associate with me because I am black? I mean, where does it all end, and when do we get to judge people as individuals?
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This article is so blatant. So transparent. I don't really see what other purpose it has than to stir up trouble.

Youre not serious with that. Did we read the same article?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    No. He still followed, shot and killed an unarmed teenager after police told him not to follow the kid. Having black friends, business partners, etc., does not make one immune to racial profiling. It's that old, "but some of my best friends are black" meme. Try again.

And Wile, for the record, I didn't say anything at the time, but I found your flip "dude was a thug, mark my words" remark to be highly offensive. And you posting this now and asking us if this makes us feel differently--ie., more kindly--towards Zimmerman makes you sound tone-deaf and incredibly insensitive, given all that's happened on this board. You seem hell-bent on justifying the killing of a minor.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • luvscurlzluvscurlz Posts: 109Registered Users
    forbee wrote: »
    I knew most of this information before.

I have to say that it does not change my opinion. Why? Because it sounds like excuse-making to me. Why is it that whenever a white person kills someone, we have to investigate their background and uncover their psyche? Something had to be wrong with them, something had to trigger what they did. Maybe they had a personality disorder, maybe they were having problems with people of a certain race, maybe they were having problems with their wives. But when a minority does the same thing--oh, they're just dangerous killers. Or terrorists. That's it. They aren't awarded the privilege of being the product of their environment just as the white killer is.

I'm not saying that I don't feel a thing for Zimmerman at all or that I think he is just evil, period. I don't wish him dead or anything, but I do want justice, because he killed a kid. And now the family is left suffering worse from this senselessness than Zimmerman probably will. I know that if I lost my brother (only two years older than Trayvon was, wears hoodies a lot, but is more sensitive and polite than most people I know), I would be devastated, and it would hurt me to see people come to the defense of the person who killed my brother because of how other black guys treated him...!

I want to mention that plenty of us have had bad experiences of people of other races, including ones that make us fear for our lives. Does that mean that we all suspect the next random person of that race as a potential criminal? If I were sexually abused by a white man when I was a child, does that mean I should automatically suspect all white men as pedophiles? Should I stop being friends with all my white friends because of all the white people who refused to associate with me because I am black? I mean, where does it all end, and when do we get to judge people as individuals?

So are you saying that his background shouldn't be examined or investigated and that he should just be put away without confirming that he is actually guilty of what he's accused of because he's white?

He has been painted a certain way in the liberal media, but that doesn't mean what's being said are exactly as what happened that night. The 911 call that was publicized was, cut and doctored they didn't even release that truthfully and was the main thing that everyone went off of to create this uproar.

I honestly don't understand why so many people feel that because he's white and the victim is black that he should just be put away without having the incident investigated to make sure it went down exactly has many people are trying to say that it did. It's not like treyvon's background was all that innocent and the info put out about both parties and the incident that night is becoming more and more obviously not truthfully reflective of the truth. It seems to me that more people would admit that zimmerman at the very least deserves to be able to make sure that the truth is found. not just put him away because he's white without proving his guilt. That's the exact same type of racism that everyone is trying to accuse him and others is, is it not?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.lenasblend.com
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    It is obvious the purpose of this thread is to be provocative and start drama. It will be locked.
This discussion has been closed.