Finally A princess for us! BRAVE!

leelaNY58leelaNY58 Posts: 13Registered Users
:D I don't watch TV but I just saw an internet ad for the new Disney/Pixar movie BRAVE. Princess Merida has CURLY long RED hair! I am so excited. I can't wait till June 22nd! In the clip they talk about how her mom tries to tame her unruly long locks but Merida prefers them that way! Curly girls unite. :protest:

Comments

• damsel_flydamsel_fly Posts: 457Registered Users
    Merida has some look-a-likes on NC with their gorgeous curly red hair.
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    I like her hair and the sound of the story in general, but I don't like the gross, sexist behind-the-scenes stuff I've read about.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    Saria wrote: »
    I like her hair and the sound of the story in general, but I don't like the gross, sexist behind-the-scenes stuff I've read about.
    What stuff? I couldn't find any controversy since 2010 when I googled.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    Well, things like why they choose names like Brave or Tangled, for one, the conflicting stories about the firing of the director, and there's also this about the movie itself:

http://jvp1.wordpress.com/2012/01/07/brave-doesnt-look-that-good/
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That Dude's views make me more likely to want to see the movie.

Siri types my posts for me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    I don't agree with his views overall, but I was having trouble coming up with what exactly about the concept and the marketing of it bothers me, and did hit upon it.

Now this pissed me the hell off and I wanted to share if with you because I kept stopping to mentally refute SO MANY THINGS:
    http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012/04/the_hunger_games_is_sexist_fai.html
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I guess I am of the mind that if you look hard enough, you'll find the ____ism in just about anything.

I think Brave looks good. I can't wait to see it.
    I enjoyed Tangled, and it's by far one of my most favorite Disney movies.
    I liked the Hunger Games, too.
    :rambo:
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    Saria wrote: »
    I don't agree with his views overall, but I was having trouble coming up with what exactly about the concept and the marketing of it bothers me, and did hit upon it.

Now this pissed me the hell off and I wanted to share if with you because I kept stopping to mentally refute SO MANY THINGS:
    The Last Psychiatrist: The Hunger Games Is A Sexist Fairy Tale. Sorry.
    Wow, I haven't read the last psychiatrist in ages.

I don't have time to read the whole thing right now, but so far I'm totally with him in part I.

But it's the Last Psychiatrist, so I'm sure he's going to make me grit my teeth in the following paragraphs. Every post of his I've ever read had me alternating between "YES!" and "WTF is WRONG with you?!"
    Eres o te haces?
  • bcody09bcody09 Posts: 115Registered Users
    My boyfriend says her hair reminds him of mine. Sigh.
    CG since Mar 2, 2012! :)

Routine:
    CoWash: V05 Tea Therapy in Vanilla Mint Tea
    RO:Tresemme Naturals: Nourishing Moisture
    LI: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Gel: CVS Sport Gel or Xcess Sport Hold Gel
    Mouse: Pantene Curl-Defining Mousse

Product Application:
    Scrunch out water with random t-shirt
    Apply products
    Long sleeve shirt plop.
  • jvp1jvp1 Posts: 1Registered Users
    My problem with Brave is mostly, I think, the marketing. I'm not sure it's decided what movie it wants to be; I think Pixar might surprise us (and I hope they do, because I wasn't stoked for Up and only recently watched it thought it was amazing), but I don't like the way they're going about it.

My biggest problem however is the rhetoric of the movie; when you have this girl doing boy things (which is how the movie is sold), you still have a girl doing boy things. The problem is that things like archery or fighting or horseback riding are being sold as being manly activities, and thus a woman doing them is against the norm and really not that liberating. I mean, would a movie about a man doing characteristically "girly" things be liberating for men? No, it'd be a joke.

While obviously I'm not asking Pixar to change society's mindset (because it might just be impossible), I think a movie about a girl where she did these kinds of things and it wasn't incredible or a big plot point or anything would be a lot more progressive than what they have so far.

Thanks for reading, by the way ;)
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm in raptures over her hair! I wish mine was like that! I won't years trying to get that colour as well but to no avail :(

I can't wait to see it, this is Pixar!! I love that she has red curly hair (finally!) and that she does archery! Everyone at our archery group was all excited to see they had got the arrow swinging out of the bow instead of just going straight (because that doesn't happen) :D
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Interestingly enough.. when I first saw the commerical for thsi movie I immediately thought of RCC! I swoon over RCC's hair!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
    Awwww, thanks. Seeing pics of her makes me miss my longer length sometimes, but I got such curl drag with longer hair. The curl is bouncier shortish, but I miss that big length sometimes.

• *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Awwww, thanks. Seeing pics of her makes me miss my longer length sometimes, but I got such curl drag with longer hair. The curl is bouncier shortish, but I miss that big length sometimes.

Shortish..longish... it's dream hair. Period. I love it but you know that..I've said it on overkill a gillion times on here. So ignore me...I'm just living vicariously that's all.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
    Lol, and I always wish for tighter curls.

• kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    *Marah* wrote: »

Shortish..longish... it's dream hair. Period. I love it but you know that..I've said it on overkill a gillion times on here. So ignore me...I'm just living vicariously that's all.

Totally agree! I've been in raptures over your hair RCC for years!
    And I've envied your shine. Mine has no shine unless it's camera flash induced.

• juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ok, now that Marah has voiced it, I can say it as well, LOVE YOUR HAIR RCC!! Whew!! Finally got that out.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Saw this tonight at the Drive-In and it was fantastic!!!! Great Mother Daughter movie :)
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CurlyCanadian? Question... I read a review that said the girl was defiant...disrespectful to adults...her mother in particular...etc.

Is any of this true?
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    She is, and solely towards her Mother. Not in an awful way, more of just a teenage girl rebelling against her parents kind of way.

Without giving too much away (as I didn't really know the story before going on), she's a princess and her parents (Mother particularly) is trying to find the man to betroth her to.

She fights back because she feels she isn't ready to get married and wants to be able to choose who she loves, rather then men competing for her.

That's the very beginning of the movie, but then the majority is her and her Mom working through the issues. I don't want to say much more because it gives away the whole movie, but it was really well done. The end had me in tears :)

I really think it will become a Disney classic, it was just such a good story. I'm going to get it for my Mom when it comes out on DVD.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    Thank you for that review. I feel like sometimes the majority of my battles are trying to undo what my little ones are learning from cartoons, daycare, movies, older brother etc. I didn't feel like adding to that. LOL!

One more question, do you think a 4 year old will like it ... or is that too young?
    I don't think it's too young, but there is a fight scene at the end that might be a little scary depending on your daughter. There's no blood or anything, but there are some animals fighting and stuff. Shoot me a PM if you want detailed info!

I will say, the Mom and the daughter are the main characters, Dad/brothers/suitors are all secondary. It's really about the Mom & Daughters relationship. It's fun looking back as a teenager (very long time ago :lol: ) who fought with her Mom and seeing us come past it. I think it really showed how Mom started to respect her daughters opinion, and her Daughter saw that her Mom wasn't a total idiot:love5:
    Audrey Hepburn
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Now I really want to see this. In all the other movies for girls, the mother is either dead or evil.
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    The more I hear about this movie, the more I think I'd enjoy it. I doubt I'd have anyone to go with though. Most of my friends don't have children and aren't into cartoons. I'm not the biggest Disney or Pixar fan either, but sometimes they do come out with good stuff. Another thing is that going by myself, I'd feel awkward going to an evening showing as people would mostly be in couples or in groups and the daytime showings would have crying 3 year olds which would mean I wouldn't be able to enjoy the movie. Guess I should wait for the DVD, huh?
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • bleuyteuybleuyteuy Posts: 273Registered Users
    I wonder what kind of hair the parents/siblings have in this movie I forget.

Oh and idk if this has been said but there's a cartoon movie called brave on netflix the girl looks the same except of course her hair is straight -___- they said the movies are unrelated but I'm gonna watch anyway.
  • bleuyteuybleuyteuy Posts: 273Registered Users
    Correction its called kiara the brave.
  • RebeccaKRebeccaK Posts: 305Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    @LadyV69, I was in the same position - but found a co-worker (who, ironically, has very similar hair to the main character) who also wanted to see it.

I'm glad I went - although for me, it was in part because I'd never seen a 3-D movie before. But there were a few points in the movie where I was completely wrong in my prediction of what might happen next - which I loved.

Try to go see it in a theater if you can!

@bleuyteuy, mother's hair was straight and brown. Dad's was definitely coarse-looking and red. Siblings had short red curly hair. I was definitely looking for the genetic component during the movie, and then immediately laughed at myself.... it's a MOVIE, and a CARTOON at that! LOL
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    I really want to see this! If my niece could sit still for two seconds i would take her. i think i will take my sister for her b-day!

Have you heard the uproar? Because the teenage princess dont want to be forced into an arranged marriage, people are calling her the first lesbian princess. WTF?!?!
    LadyV69 wrote: »
    The more I hear about this movie, the more I think I'd enjoy it. I doubt I'd have anyone to go with though. Most of my friends don't have children and aren't into cartoons. I'm not the biggest Disney or Pixar fan either, but sometimes they do come out with good stuff. Another thing is that going by myself, I'd feel awkward going to an evening showing as people would mostly be in couples or in groups and the daytime showings would have crying 3 year olds which would mean I wouldn't be able to enjoy the movie. Guess I should wait for the DVD, huh?

LadyV69 if you lived in Texas...I'd welcome you to go with me and my daughter. I go to these movies all the time by myself. You will see me sitting in the Narnia, Harry Potter, etc movies all by myself...with my own coke and popcorn enjoying the peace. If you are self conscious...wait until the hub bub dies down...then go to an afternoon showing...you'll find lots of other adults there by themselves. :)
    thelio wrote: »
    I really want to see this! If my niece could sit still for two seconds i would take her. i think i will take my sister for her b-day!

Have you heard the uproar? Because the teenage princess dont want to be forced into an arranged marriage, people are calling her the first lesbian princess. WTF?!?!

Geez that is sad thelio!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file