Washing at night question.

amandamarieamandamarie Registered Users Posts: 240
So the other day I washed my hair in the evening, scrunched in some gel, let it dry, then went to bed, without SOTC. It looked extremely promising--exactly the degree of wave and clump I like, no between-the-curl frizz, nice and separated, etc. I was really looking forward to seeing it the next morning. But then I woke up and most of the wave had come out. WTF?

It wasn't wet AT ALL that I could tell, because I waited several hours (I already know sleeping on my wet hair makes it dry wonky). I've had excellent luck just putting it in a pineapple after wearing it down all day dry and not crunchy with the exact same products, etc. I thought surely still having the gel cast in would help preserve the waves for the next morning!

Is this a case of the "SOTC fakeout"--when you think it's dry but under the gel cast it's secretly not? Should I try to SOTC and leave it for a little longer to make sure it's completely dry? How do you all handle this? It doesn't make sense to me. :dontknow:
2a/b (really thick but sort of fine with pretty weak waves), medium-to-fine texture, normal porosity (I think). Doesn't seem to like protein.

Favorite products: Kinky-Curly Knot Today, Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion, Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk, homemade flaxseed gel.

Still looking for a cleanser I like. :dontknow:

Comments

• kimmidawnkimmidawn Registered Users Posts: 900
    So the other day I washed my hair in the evening, scrunched in some gel, let it dry, then went to bed, without SOTC. It looked extremely promising--exactly the degree of wave and clump I like, no between-the-curl frizz, nice and separated, etc. I was really looking forward to seeing it the next morning. But then I woke up and most of the wave had come out. WTF?

It wasn't wet AT ALL that I could tell, because I waited several hours (I already know sleeping on my wet hair makes it dry wonky). I've had excellent luck just putting it in a pineapple after wearing it down all day dry and not crunchy with the exact same products, etc. I thought surely still having the gel cast in would help preserve the waves for the next morning!

Is this a case of the "SOTC fakeout"--when you think it's dry but under the gel cast it's secretly not? Should I try to SOTC and leave it for a little longer to make sure it's completely dry? How do you all handle this? It doesn't make sense to me. :dontknow:

First the only way I know for sure my hair is COMPLETELY dry is I have to feel the roots in the back of my head; if that's not 100% dry, I know the gel cast hasn't quite set.

Was your hair in a pineapple or did you sleep with it down? I think you should try maybe giving it more time to dry next time and see if it solves your problem. Hope that helps.
    2b, fine texture, normal porosity & elasticity (CG as of 12/2011)

Low-poo: UFD Rich & Funky
    Cowash: VO5 Kiwi Lime
    RO: Tresemme Naturals, Aubrey Organics GPB, Ion Effective Care, MillCreek Keratin
    PT/DT: IAgirl's PT, GVP CB
    LI: KCKT, Cure Care, CJ CCCC Lite
    Styling: Curl Keeper, As I Am Jelly, UFD Curly Magic, CJ Curl Queen, TIGI Strong Hold Mousse

http://public.fotki.com/kdawn12/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^^ day 1 of going CG; avatar = 6 months later
  • jakrussel3jakrussel3 Registered Users Posts: 423
    Sleeping ruins my wave pattern too. Doesn't matter if I wear it down, pineapple, use a hair net, braid, pigtails, whatever. The waves are all messed up or barely there the next day. I think there has been only one time where they stayed ok and I have no idea why because I didn't do anything special. Just went to bed with my hair down and woke up pleasantly surprised in the morning. So it may just be that you're unlucky like me versus it not being 100% dry. Try it a few more times and see what happens. I've had the most wearing a hair net like I'm plopping, but I still usually come out with some waves that kinked overnight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair Properties: 2A/2B, Medium-fine, Normal porosity, Normal elasticity, Medium density
    Low Poo: DevaCare, Yes to Cuc's
    Rinse Out: DevaCare One Condition, Yes to Cuc's
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Lavender, Yes to Carrots Scalp Conditioner
    Curl Cream: AG ReCoil, Organix Moroccan Oil Curl Cream
    Gel/Mousse: Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG w/ Mag Sulfate added, Sweet Curls Elixirs hard hold gel, DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam, Aquage Uplifting Foam
    Protein: Spiral Solutions Protein Spray for daily use
  • amandamarieamandamarie Registered Users Posts: 240
    It was pineappled--and I've had such great luck with pineappleing before! I really don't know.

More time might be the way to go.
    2a/b (really thick but sort of fine with pretty weak waves), medium-to-fine texture, normal porosity (I think). Doesn't seem to like protein.

Favorite products: Kinky-Curly Knot Today, Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion, Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk, homemade flaxseed gel.

• Lucky CharmLucky Charm Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    I cant sleep with crunchy hair. Something about my hair + gel cast + pineapple = my hair remembering the shape of the pineapple. I need to SOTC before pineappling or else I can guarantee a wonky hair day the next day. My hair must be dry and without the gel cast to successfully pineapple- I've tried sleeping on crunchy hair in a silk bonnet as well. I figured it would SOTC on its own over night, but I woke up to flat, plastered to my head soft hair.
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • kimmidawnkimmidawn Registered Users Posts: 900
    I don't know if this would help at all, but I tend to toss and turn a lot when I sleep so I found out the pineapple was doing nothing for my hair; what works for me is I lay down on my pillow and kind of plop all my hair on top of my head so I'm not laying on it and when I wake up, it's relatively good for second day hair.
    2b, fine texture, normal porosity & elasticity (CG as of 12/2011)

Low-poo: UFD Rich & Funky
    Cowash: VO5 Kiwi Lime
    RO: Tresemme Naturals, Aubrey Organics GPB, Ion Effective Care, MillCreek Keratin
    PT/DT: IAgirl's PT, GVP CB
    LI: KCKT, Cure Care, CJ CCCC Lite
    Styling: Curl Keeper, As I Am Jelly, UFD Curly Magic, CJ Curl Queen, TIGI Strong Hold Mousse

http://public.fotki.com/kdawn12/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^^ day 1 of going CG; avatar = 6 months later
  • carmelwavescarmelwaves Registered Users Posts: 68

Ok, here is what you do. The night before, Get out of the shower when It's wet and BRAID IT. THen put mousse on the braids, when you take it out in the morning it will still be wet from the braids, but wet enough to wave naturally. Take the braids out, put more gel or cream or mousse in it, and scrunch! You will have beautiful natural waves.
    ~A proud 2c who is so thankful to have stumbled across this site over a year ago!
  • plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    I'm a regular night washer. I just can't stand to have crunchy hair in public anymore than I have to.

I make sure that my hair has at least an hour after diffusing most of the way, and I have found after some trial and error that my hair is better if I SOTC before bed, but rest my hair along the back of my pillow. I gather it like I would be pineappling it but I don't put it in a scrunchy...I let it lay on my pillow.

I have found that I get more volume the next day this way. I have yet to sleep on the crunch with me not placing my hair along the pillow and sleeping directly on the crunchy hair. I'm scared to do that.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• amandamarieamandamarie Registered Users Posts: 240
    I sometimes do the thing y'all are talking about with lying the hair on the pillow; the problem is, I also toss and turn, and a pineapple will make sure my hair doesn't get squished, whereas this won't. The advantage is it doesn't hurt my scalp when I wake up!

The braids could be worth a try, but I feel like my hair would take on the shape of the braids rather than waving its own natural way? Certainly an idea for some days, though. It might even be good if I did that without gel and saw what happened.

The other day I tried SOTC a little while before I went to sleep, which helped, but I did have a little more frizz and a little less definition than I like to have in the morning. Maybe I should start always washing in the evenings rather than around bedtime so my hair has lots and lots of time to dry.

• plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    I do give myself a bit of time at night. If I wash at 9:30 or 10, I don't go to bed til 12 or 1. I often do my hair on nights I am off the next day or go in for a late shift the next day. Thankfully, I live in a condo that is pretty tight for sound, and my neighbors (when they are in town) can't hear anything. Sometimes I do it earlier in the day when I'm off, like if I am doing a long PT/DT.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file