Doll help

webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
I'm trying to find a doll for my 5 yr old's b-day and I've scoured amazon with no success.

Wish list:
real-looking
soft/fabric body
african american/black or brown skin with curly hair
hair doesn't have to be brushable/combable but not straight hair. No hair is ok
boy doll or sex-less doll clothing (no pink frilly stuff)

The only thing that comes sort of close is the american girl twin dolls. the body is all plastic, but it looks like it's not super hard.

And I won't pay some crazy high price for a doll - like $100 or so, but I'm willing to pay more than $30.
hello.world.

Comments

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I found these on pattycakedolls.

485ff605-9c1e-147f.jpg

Yeah, it's frilly, but I really liked her hair and hair accessories.

485ff605-9c3e-c0de.jpg

ETA. I somehow missed the 'real looking' portion of the post. :(
    Siri types my posts for me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Dangit, I found one that wasn't too expensive...but he has straight hair. Can you cut his hair off?
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What about checking on Etsy?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Lakeshore has soft-bodied baby dolls and child dolls.
  • HappycurlsHappycurls Posts: 188Registered Users
    Target carries some knock-offs of the American Girl dolls that look really nice. They are from different countries and come with a little bio about their home country, but I've only seen girl dolls. I *think* the Ethiopian doll has short enough hair that she could pass for a boy if you bought a different outfit.
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    My boys throw their elmo and grover dolls around and they often get clocked with the hard eyes. I can imagine them poking their eyes out with a plastic doll. I think the ikea doll may work. I'll see what the kiddo thinks. Thanks so much for your research!
    hello.world.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Spider wrote: »
    Check out this from Ikea LEKKAMRAT Doll - IKEA

lekkamrat-doll__0123743_PE279940_S4.JPG

Ohhhhhhhh.......I want him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Check out this from Ikea LEKKAMRAT Doll - IKEA

lekkamrat-doll__0123743_PE279940_S4.JPG

Ohhhhhhhh.......I want him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I know!! Not expensive either but they don't sell online :(. The closet one to me is about 2 hours away. Never been but may have to go and buy all the babydolls up for my curly friends ;)
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I know!! Not expensive either but they don't sell online :(. The closet one to me is about 2 hours away. Never been but may have to go and buy all the babydolls up for my curly friends ;)

I want all 3! I'm at Ikea once a month or so, so if you want...I'll totally get him for you :)

Saying that though......you really should go check them out!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • adorame06adorame06 Posts: 572Registered Users
    I found this site Black Dolls, Boy's Dolls, Asian and Hispanic Baby Dolls for Children when I was looking at dolls for my sister in laws children a few years ago. She had expressed how difficult it is to find multiracial and african american/black dolls at the toy store, their ether all bought out or few are stocked on the shelves and they only have a few to chose from. The Baby Brother/ sister doll and the Nighty Night doll ( girl and boy ) have been big hits with family and friends children. My friends day care asked for the site after her son brought his doll to pre school, they bought a few diffident Ethnic dolls to have in the class room now for the children to play with. They carry some dollies that are adorably cute!
    CG on 2/16/2010
    My curls looks like the 3a pictures
    Hair length is to my bra strap, it's fine textured, but the density is thick, not much elasticity, Naturally Blonde but Color treated because of graying going on

My hair loves
    coconut oil
    Homemade FSG
    Hair one for my co wash
    Ecostyler olive oil

Princess Brandy Brat, Chief Jewel Crafter and Royal Nanny to the Court of the Red and White Rose for the Order of the Curly Crusaders.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I finally got around to looking at the other stuff on the pattycakedolls site, and I see a few I like there too.

Ah, decisions decisions. Thank ya again.
    hello.world.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file