Castille liquid soap/ACV questions

WavyMermaidyWavyMermaidy Registered Users Posts: 11
Hi all...this is my first time posting on the site though I have looked up advice on here several times before joining. :)

So, I went no-poo about a year ago, using CO wash only (trial & error-ing several conditioners)...it was working well for about 9 months give or take and then my scalp decided it did not like this anymore and became horribly itchy and unruly. Reluctant to jump back on the shampoo train I did some research and started using liquid castille soap (the likes of Dr. Bronners) and ACV. I decided on castille vs. baking soda mainly for ease of use in the shower plus the benefits of added oils in the castille (my hair seems to like oils). Been on that for about 3 months, and the scalp seems happy.

I have read that things that are alkaline like castille and BS open up the cuticle, hence the need for ACV to re-acidify the hair and close up the cuticle. But, here's my question:

Is it kindof unhealthy to open up the cuticle like that, especially when one's hair already has a tendency to be quite dry (even though I don't comb/brush, heat style or process)??

I mean, after rinsing out the castille my hair feels horrible until I do the ACV rinse (that part is lovely)...although the overall end effect seems to be ok. So I wonder if that is necessary, or would it be more beneficial to do some sort of low-poo and then ACV (as I have read also that ACV is beneficial for hair in more ways than just re-acidifying)? I dunno...I'm just a little stumped as to what would be safest/most beneficial.

One thing that might be a factor is that we have hard water. I dunno how that factors in but I've seen it mentioned in other no/lo poo threads.

Thanks in advance for replies!
Traci :)
:hippy2:
3a/2c
depends on whims of the Great Hair Goddess
High density/med-high porosity
Mid back length
Low Poo Renpure Keratin or Dr. Bronners / ACV
CO Renpure (red)
LI EV coconut oil & pure shea butter; Jane Carter revitalizing LI (for beach days)

No cones or animal testing :cat:

Comments

• pamm3lapamm3la Registered Users Posts: 70
    Well im not an expert but i think u can find something more gentle than castile soap that can clean ur scalp and hair with no problem. Try a low poo. Shea Moistures shampoos seem very gentles cuz of the ingredients. I havent try them tho.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
    3B/3C Recovering from heat damaged :/... almost like transitioning because most of my hair is straight it won't curl, thsi is due to sooo many years of using heat without stoping.

Braid out and twist out are my staple styles right now! Not using heat since December 2011. Still experimenting with products!
  • ttlollattlolla Registered Users Posts: 948 Curl Neophyte
    Do you dilute the castille soap ?

It is very concentrated without the added water , and I find my hair is soft after washing .

And the low poos are a great idea
  • WavyMermaidyWavyMermaidy Registered Users Posts: 11
    ttlolla wrote: »
    Do you dilute the castille soap ?

It is very concentrated without the added water , and I find my hair is soft after washing .

And the low poos are a great idea

I put a very small amount of the castille soap in my hand and run quite a bit of water in it to mix...I know that's not officially pre-wash diluting but I definitely don't just pour it straight on. It feels great once I do the ACV right after that...it's just immediately after rinsing the castille that it has sortof a weird dry feeling.
    3a/2c
    Mid back length
    CO Renpure (red)
    LI EV coconut oil & pure shea butter; Jane Carter revitalizing LI (for beach days)

• ttlollattlolla Registered Users Posts: 948 Curl Neophyte
    Well maybe It's just not for you and trying the low poos is the option to try .

When I mentioned diluting I meant 1cup water and about 6 drops of castile soap in it .
  • WavyMermaidyWavyMermaidy Registered Users Posts: 11
    Yeah, I think I am going to try going low-poo just to see how my hair likes it. I read some good stuff about Renpure's Keratin shampoo as a low-poo, and since I already use (and like) their conditioner this seems like a nice one to try....but I'm gonna keep the castille around for a while just in case :)
    3a/2c
    Mid back length
    CO Renpure (red)

• mom23angelsmom23angels Registered Users Posts: 26
    If your hair likes protein then you can make an egg shampoo with the castille soap. I have been doing this with baby shampoo but am going to switch to castille when i am through with this batch.
    Here is the recipe if you are interested:
    4 Tbs. shampoo
    2 Tbs herbal infusion (basically make a really strong tea. I use a sleepy time tea, has a good mix of herbs)
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 tsp powdered gelatin(optional but gives an extra protein boost)

I mix this all up, usually in a double or triple batch and freeze it in an ice cube tray. That seems to be the perfect amount and they don't take long to thaw. I use the remaining tea to mix with my ACV for a rinse.

When I get in the shower, I shampoo with the egg shampoo, put a conditioner on the length of my hair and the vinegar rinse on my scalp. I use a spray bottle for this that I just keep in the shower. I finish whatever else I need to then rinse the conditioner and the vinegar out of my hair. I don't use a LI or sealer before applying my styler.

I also live where there is hard water. The ACV helps remove the minerals from the hair. I use it every time I cleanse which is abut 3 times a week. Some people say to only use it once a week but I dont seem to have a problem.

Another good mix I keep in the shower fro clarifying is baking soda and water. a couple Tbs of the soda in a water bottle( I use a white plastic one leftover from VBS last year). I like to add a few essential oils to it. That way I can just shake it up and squirt it on my head.

Sorry for the long post. HTH!:)
    A work in progress.....
    Curl pattern: 2b-3a (i think)
    Thickness: Medium
    Density: iii
    Porosity: Slightly higher than normal
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Sweet Pea & Violet
    Style: L.A. Looks Perfect Shine

Wanting to try: EVERYTHING!!! (but am trying to pace myself)

I LOVE smilies!!!
    :compress: :lovestory: :) :angel9:
  • MissKrisMissKris Registered Users Posts: 288
    There are some great shampoo recipes on youtube that have a base of castille soap with a little h2O. I also saw some other cleansing alternatives.

Bentonite clay(found at Whole Foods) with ACV or Amla powder(found at your local Indian market) with h2O........

Sent from my SPH-M910 using CurlTalk App

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file