transition hairstyle help

jayellejayelle Posts: 15Registered Users
Hi, so i'm 10 months post relaxer. I'm transitioning obviously lol and I've been trying protective styles but I find that they don't last more than a day. My first 8 months I wore weaves so styling my hair wasn't a problem but blending the two textures now has become kinda difficult. I've tried twist outs, braid outs, bantu knot outs, but I can't get them to last. I style my bantu knot outs dry and blown out because my curls won't match my relaxed ends once I take the knots out. Can anyone help me out?

Comments

• hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    I'm having the same problem. My braid/twist outs never last more than a day. Plus my ends were so dry at the end of the day. I think I'm going to continue my transition using roller sets/rods. And use heat occasionally. My roots need to stay somewhat stretched. I get horrible tangling and single strand knots
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • naturalgirl85naturalgirl85 Posts: 53Registered Users
    I am also 10 months in as well. I have been wearing my hair in braid outs and I put perm rods on the ends to give me relaxed hair more definition. I am able to wear my style all week but I usually have to wear my hair in a puff towards the end of the week. I haven't tried any protective styles yet. What have u tried?
  • MusicbutterflyMusicbutterfly Posts: 51Registered Users
    Have you considered putting in braid extensions or Senegalese twists in for 2 months? Check out styles on YouTube and tumblr for inspiration.

My first 6 months I did twist outs and braidouts. 7-8 did Senegalese twists. 9-10 wigs and blown out for a while then got my first weave as a bridesmaid (hated it and took out after 5 days). Then got Senegalese twists again. 11-12 Did braid n curls then straightened my March 12th for my one year and kept it straight for while. If I got sick of the stick straight look (which I do) I'd do bantu-knots, tie in a bun which made my hair wave, perm rods sets and also flat twisted my hair (which I find easier to do on flat-ironed hair than blown out or natural textured :O). 13th month which I'm in has been braidouts, afro-puffs, buns (which I've stopped cos they hurt my edges). I'm on holiday from uni next week and for my 14th month to give me a break I'm gonna do senegalese twists again! It's all about patience and keeping a list of hairstyles to do for variety.

Happy Transitioning lades :) xoxo
  • anonymous_112457anonymous_112457 Posts: 4Registered Users
    Hey!! Try a twistout, braid out, bantu knot out, you can get flexi rods, braids, sewn in tracks or wigs! I did a youtube video on a quick way to do a braid out!! WATCH it :) RE-UPLOAD How To Cornrow Rod Out Natural Hair! - YouTube

RE-UPLOAD How To Cornrow Rod Out Natural Hair! - YouTube
  • jayellejayelle Posts: 15Registered Users
    Thanks for the tips everyone! Have any of you worn a wig, I thought about getting one after watching some videos from BorderHammer, she does a lot of wig reviews and she has natural hair. Do you think it would be a good protective style? I've never worn one before.

Happy Transitioning!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Here are some articles about protective styles.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • KristiLanetteKristiLanette Posts: 33Registered Users
    I'm kinda like you! I'm 8 months post, but I've been wearing weaves mostly. I took my weave out a month ago and started doing flexi rod sets after watching videos on YouTube. I'm still trying to perfect it! 0cacd14d-3051-e508.jpg0cacd14d-306a-4a15.jpg
  • DeeinKCDeeinKC Posts: 43Registered Users
    I'm 7 months post-relaxer and I've just been doing roller sets. I just try and make sure that I am securing my roots down with bobby pins so that they dry straighter. I tried one braid out and my ends are just too straight. Most people probably have no idea that I'm transitioning...and that's fine with me. ;)

Roller sets have always been my best friend...even when relaxing.
    Dee
    Last relaxer: September 2011
    Follow my progress on my transition blog: http://naturallycurlyjourney.blogspot.com/
  • sawahsawah Posts: 26Registered Users
    I do different styles like braid outs, twists, cornrows, flat twist, bunning... there is so many videos on YouTube that gives different ideas.

Here are some of the styles I have been doing:
    Discovering Natural: My Hair Gallery

I have not used any heat on my hair so far.
    [FONT=georgia,serif]DiscoveringNatural[/FONT]

Web: http://DiscoveringNatural.com

Social Media:
    Natural Hair YouTube: http://youtube.com/DiscoveringNatural
    Vlog YouTube: http://youtube.com/DNVlogsLife
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/DiscoveringNatural
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/DiscoveringNatural

• MissKrisMissKris Posts: 288Registered Users
    My last relaxer was October 2006. While growing it out, I never wore my own hair. I did mostly tree braids or full head weave. When it had grown out to my satisfaction, I made the big chop. Then I just mixed it up however I felt like. Wigs (sometimes I'd make my own), tree braids, twist outs....sometimes I'd cornrow the front and put the rest in a ponytail and smack on this afro puff ponytail that I had bought for 70s day at work. I miss that ponytail.... Anywayz, just wanted to share my hair flava a lil bit..........

Sent from my SPH-M910 using CurlTalk App

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file