Weight gain

shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
I am trying to gain weight steadily and not in big chunks and to keep it around 20 pounds. What is a good amount of pounds to have gained at 21 weeks? I wanna see if I am around where I should be.
A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey

Comments

• AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    shelli wrote:
    I am trying to gain weight steadily and not in big chunks and to keep it around 20 pounds. What is a good amount of pounds to have gained at 21 weeks? I wanna see if I am around where I should be.

My doctor said: 15-20 lbs if you were overweight before the pregnancy (you don't seem like you were so that may be a little low for you)

25-35 lbs if you were within normal weight range

30-40 lbs if you were underweight

(this is according to your BMI - there are sites on line where you can calculate that.)

I'm shooting for 25-30. So far I've lost 10!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    Ideally, you should gain 25-35 pounds total, with 10-12 lbs the first half (about 19-20 weeks).

I did that, then gained 8 lbs in one month (dec) when I went back in for my 24 week check up. I was sooooo down, I did indulge myself over the holidays but I didn't think it would be that bad. Of course the nurse is telling me, "you weren't big to begin with, and some people gain it at the end, some are steady throughout. " Two weeks later 1 had gained 1 pound, but I have been eating so much better, cuttting out the junk and bringing lunch and making dinner at home.

The last trimester is supposed to average about a pound a week (10 lbs) which is a lot of baby growing and putting on weight, and your fluids (esp milk) increasing.

Each woman/pregnancy is different, and what's important is that you do eat, maybe more smaller meals and healthy snacks throughout the day than three big meals.

It's also important to know you can't skip meals or fast now, because the baby's nutrition is all coming from the blood supply (and food you eat) and not any fat stores. If one weren't pregnant, they could still live off their fat stores, but a fetus cannot.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Registered Users Posts: 850
    No offense, but pregnancy is really not the time to be watching the scale too often, setting rigid weight gain limits, or actively trying to keep the weight off. It's fine to watch what you eat and be sensible, but your body knows what it's doing and what it needs. And honestly, you'll probably find that your body will do what it wants anyway, independent of you, so you probably should just trust it and let it do its thing. I mean, I didn't WANT to gain almost 40 lbs (and it's been hell losing it), but I ate really well, never overate, didn't eat junk, etc., and it just happened anyway. It's just what my body needed.

ETA, It was psychologically hard, admittedly, watching the numbers creep up on the scale, but apparently that's what I needed.
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    Shelli, weren't you a wee bit underweight before pregnancy? The recommended weight gain for normal women is around 25-35 pounds. It was recommended that I gain something like 35-45 because I was underweight. Either way, it sounds like 25 pounds is the bare minimum that you should be gaining. Like SP said, this isn't a time when you watch your weight other than to make sure you don't overindulge to the point that you double your total weight.

I think I had gained very little by 21 weeks. Three to five pounds. My midwife was constantly concerned about my weight gain until she finally caught on that I eat continuously and apparently have a hollow leg. The only big jump in weight was the week before Xander was born, I gained 5 pounds. I didn't overindulge or anything more than usual so I only assume Xander was getting fat to be born.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I agree with SweetPickles. The guidelines are just guidelines and your body will tell you what you need. Try to eat healthy most of the time, listen to your appetite and you will be fine. As for what weeks you gain how much weight, you really can't control that. Everyone is different. Some people gain steadily throughout, some lose weight at first and then make up for it, etc.

That said, 20 lbs sound like it's not enough weight to gain, looking at your pictures.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    Those are definitely guidlines, and not something that should be strictly followed. I totally agree with SweetPickles and Geeky. You really need to listen to your body and eat when you're hungry - and don't be afraid to give into cravings now and then. Your body has cravings because it needs something at that time. For instance, in the first trimester I crave V-8 juice like you wouldn't believe - which I found out after my first pregnancy that it contains a TON of folic acid. If you crave cheese, you probably need to calcium, if you crave celery, you may need some vitamin B - whatever it is, your body is telling you this for a reason.

Everyone is different. I gained 45lbs, and I'd already gained 30lbs by 6 months - so in my last trimester I only put on 15. My cousin lost so much weight in the beginning, she was still down 7 lbs by 20 weeks - yet she still managed to gain 50lbs total.

Kate Hudson, Kelly Ripa, and Jenny McCarthy all gained 60lbs with their kids.

You certainly shouldn't be dieting right now.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    Well I agree with sweetpickles. I gained 42 pounds. I was in my best shape in years. I weighed 140 but was 17% body fat. I worked out until 3 weeks before Chas was born. I ate good...never over ate (well can't say never :lol: ) . I still gained weight like crazy. I got worried I was overeating so I started a food diary. Nope, normal eating.

The body will get what the body wants. I gained more weight in my first two trimesters and then slowed with the third. Once I gained 9 pounds between my appointments.

I now have 10 pounds to lose...which I don't see going until I'm done breastfeeding. For some reason the body needs extra fat when your breastfeeding. I heard this from a lot of people.

Don't sweat it. Just eat healthy and indulge every once in awhile. :) My sister say the healthier stuff you put into your body during pregnancy...the easier it will be to get off after. Dont know if that's true...but a good motivator.
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    Woa! Hold the phone! I am not dieting :lol: Unless it's the Chocolate Doughnut Diet! (which is bad I know) I couldn't even make myself diet before my wedding when I wanted to look small! I am not really sticking by a strict guideline, but my SIL and brother said that their doctor watched her weight very strictly and since my Dr. seems to care less, I was just wondering if I am doing okay with my weight gain... So...listening to my body say ,"feed me doughnuts", what does that mean I need? Dairy? :lol:
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    shelli wrote:
    Woa! Hold the phone! I am not dieting :lol: Unless it's the Chocolate Doughnut Diet! (which is bad I know) I couldn't even make myself diet before my wedding when I wanted to look small! I am not really sticking by a strict guideline, but my SIL and brother said that their doctor watched her weight very strictly and since my Dr. seems to care less, I was just wondering if I am doing okay with my weight gain... So...listening to my body say ,"feed me doughnuts", what does that mean I need? Dairy? :lol:

:lol: - I think when you go through those phases where your body just wants to chow, you probably need to gain the extra weight, and your body is in freak out mode to try to put the pounds on. In the very beginning I craved tons of fruits and vegetables, when I was naseaus, and when I'm getting heartburn I crave heavy foods like fast food burgers and stuff. I think that's because I need something heavy in my stomach. I went through a bad eating phase, but lately I've just been eating tons of oranges and soup.

Then again, if I had stuff like doughnuts in the house, I would totally eat them, so maybe get rid of them! Stupid me made a cake the other day and it came out SOOOO good. I had to stop myself from eating the whole thing.

• M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    ITA with SP and Geeky.

I gained close to 60 pounds with both of my pregnancies...down to losing all but the last 8 pounds after a year (same with both kids). Lost the last 8 pounds after I weaned the first. I am in the process of weaning the second, so we will see.

Guano: your body might also hang onto extra weight if you're breastfeeding. To reiterate what SP and Geeky said, your body is doing a "job" and knows what it needs to do.
    :rambo:
  • deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    and a note about cravings...

eat what your body wants, even if it is donuts, it will stop you from binging around the whole house since you satisfied the craving
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
    deezee02 wrote:
    and a note about cravings...

eat what your body wants, even if it is donuts, it will stop you from binging around the whole house since you satisfied the craving

That is so true! You know how you WANT something, and you try to keep yourself from eating it - so you end up eating everything else in the house, and in the end, end up eating the thing you craved anyway! :lol:

• itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Registered Users Posts: 652
    my doctor didn't say much about weight either. i think they'd say something to you if they were concerned either way, so don't sweat it.
    that being said, if you eat healthy, and don't live on hagendaz ice cream every meal and for snacks just because you can, then you'll be fine. everybody's body is different. and you don't gain it evenly. i lost weight in the beginning, and i had a month here or there where my body decided to bulk up. i guess it just needed to that month!
    don't sweat it. eat well, enjoy being preggers, and know that if you do it healthy and let your body do it's thing, it'll be that much easier falling off later.

i'm also glad to hear about the extra fat when breastfeeding. my body slimmed out really fast after having owen, and i was actually down smaller then i was before, but i was EXHAUSTED all the time. i finally started eating enough i think, and gained a little weight back and started feeling better, but i feel like i'm a little heavier then i'd like. i hope it'll fall off when i wean.

oh, and ladies. as much as you feel like you are eating now, you will be STARVING when you are breastfeeding and will eat SO much more! please be sure to eat! i didn't listen to my body the first week or so, and it was really rough. i realized a few weeks later that i had a dent going across all my fingernails at about the same distance from the quick...the only thing i can think was it had to do with those first two weeks home. and since i hadn't been eating enough, my body was sucking all my nutrients to make that milk happen. so make sure before you go to the hospital, that you have lots of snacks and good foods around for you to munch on when you get home!
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur

oh, and ladies. as much as you feel like you are eating now, you will be STARVING when you are breastfeeding and will eat SO much more! please be sure to eat! i didn't listen to my body the first week or so, and it was really rough. i realized a few weeks later that i had a dent going across all my fingernails at about the same distance from the quick...the only thing i can think was it had to do with those first two weeks home. and since i hadn't been eating enough, my body was sucking all my nutrients to make that milk happen. so make sure before you go to the hospital, that you have lots of snacks and good foods around for you to munch on when you get home!

I totally agree with meghan on this. I never woke up in the middle of the night hungry when i was pregnant. But I have done this a ton after Chas was born. It's due to breastfeeding. Your milk supply will eventually diminish when you don't eat enough. I found this out and had to start eating PBJ sandwiches between each meal to make sure I got enough calories.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791

I totally agree with meghan on this. I never woke up in the middle of the night hungry when i was pregnant. But I have done this a ton after Chas was born. It's due to breastfeeding. Your milk supply will eventually diminish when you don't eat enough. I found this out and had to start eating PBJ sandwiches between each meal to make sure I got enough calories.

I concur as well. I can't believe how much food I eat right now. I eat way more that my bf/Evan's father - and he's a bodybuilder. It's embarassing sometimes.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195

I concur as well. I can't believe how much food I eat right now. I eat way more that my bf/Evan's father - and he's a bodybuilder. It's embarassing sometimes.

ITA too. I feel like I am starving ALL THE TIME! I need to eat like every 3 hours, I'm worse than the baby - lol.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file