How often should you ACV?

Nicci32Nicci32 Registered Users Posts: 113
Hey everyone, How often should you ACV and can this be done before or after a deep conditioner?

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    Live Curly Live Free recommends an ACV rinse no more often than 1-2 times a month, as ACV can be drying. I do one weekly with 0 dryness issues though, and have heard of isolated people whose hair tolerates an ACV rinse every time they wash.

ACV closes the cuticle, so I'd think you'd want to do it after a deep conditioner to seal in the good moisture you've just added. Doing it before would make it harder for your dt to penetrate.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • Nicci32Nicci32 Registered Users Posts: 113
    Thanks for your will remember that for next time

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Registered Users Posts: 1,354 Curl Neophyte
    Geek_Chic, ive heard that as well. i do herbal rinses and mix a bit of ACV into the tea i use it after my DT. Gives me much better results then when i would just mix a bit of ACV and water

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • OnduleeOndulee Registered Users Posts: 1,305 Curl Connoisseur
    isolated people whose hair tolerates an ACV rinse every time they wash.

I'm one of these whose hair loves ACV or even white vinegar(less smell) every time I wash. No dryness either.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• earthnutearthnut Registered Users Posts: 226
    You can use a vinegar rinse every day if it's dilute enough. Live curly live free's recipe is pretty strong, so I'd use it no more often than she suggests. However if you mix less than 1 tsp vinegar per cup of water, the pH isn't too strong and you can use it every day.

Hair needs a pH of 4.5 to 5. 1 tsp vinegar per cup water has a pH of 4.5. Using more vinegar per cup of water will be more acidic and should be used more sparingly.

---
    My hair is porous, medium thickness, good elasticity, medium density, 2c/3a, APL, dark brown with a silver lining. Biggest enemy: frizz!
  • Fantastic1221Fantastic1221 Registered Users Posts: 356
    I love acv and I have a spray bottle with a 1:1 ratio of acv and water that I use on may hair and scalp almost everyday. I use it like water. My hair and scalp has never felt cleaner or healthier. I don't rinse it out either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using CurlTalk App
    3c front crown,4a in middle back
    LOIS: OS, thin, dense, cottony

http://dtcp.tumblr.com/"]My Blog
    Hair Regimen

event.png

event.png

event.png
    I do wish there is a way to subdue the vinegar smell tho. No matter how dilute my solution is, somebody always comments on "a strange smell" when I do a vinegar rinse.

I can't smell it but it seems others can. Lavendar EO doesn't seem to do the trick either.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    I used to use it about 2-3 times a week, I loved it, it made my hair soft and shiny. I was using it mainly when i was cowashing, because I have hard water. I took a regular sized water bottle, poured enough in to just cover the bottom, and filled the rest with water, definitely not strong. I did mine as a last step, after my washing and conditioning.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    I wouldn't use it at all. Acv can damage the hair. I used it once & after my hair was shedding, was hard/crunchy, & it looked red. (My hair is black) if you need to clarify, use a clarifying shampoo. Giovanni & suave have them.
  • nJOImenJOIme Registered Users Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
    I only do it when I want to clean some product buildup out of my hair. Roughly 2 times a month

nJOInmeNaturally
  • CallyCally Registered Users Posts: 58
    I used to use it a few times a week (everytime I washed) to help with itchiness. It works very well for that. I didn't notice any problems. But my hair was pretty shiny etc
    Fine 2c-3a Curls
    Normal porosity/ Medium density
    Henna over color-treated hair
    Not currently CG :(
    Poo: Pureology hydrate
    RO: Pureology hydrate
    LI: HSH Tri-wheat spray
    DT: Coconut oil
    PT: Henna/Cassia
    Styler: AG recoil/mousse-gel
  • RubyJellyRubyJelly Registered Users Posts: 3
    I did ACV wash once a week for a month but I hated the smell. I honestly don't know how people do it. I loved the way my hair looked afterward though (not oily and it sat naturally, not like I just washed it). I've actually been on the hunt for natural hair products that incorporate it. I don't know if anyone has any suggestions but I did find one company called Healthy Skin for a Happy Life that uses it. Any companies similar to that? I know Lush exists but they don't really use all natural ingredients like they lead on.
    I love this stuff because my hair reacts to it just like ACV rinse but without the smell.

I also use it as a LI sometimes.

Its an all natural vegan product.

• curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    I noticed that sea breeze astringent can loosen product build up so you can cowash it out. I used it recently to help my itchy scalp. while massaging it in the film the cantu curling custard left behind the film became a liquid & it was easier to cowash it out.
  • pinkwolfpinkwolf Registered Users Posts: 430 Curl Novice
    I use ACV once every other week following the baking soda wash.
    *Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
    Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
    , Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
    Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
    DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
    Styler:
    KCCC
    Leave-In: KCKT
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter
    Oil/Sealant:
    EVCO, Jojoba
  • Still_NyaStill_Nya Registered Users Posts: 27
    pinkwolf wrote: »
    I use ACV once every other week following the baking soda wash.

I was looking for someone that does the baking soda / ACV. Do you pre-poo before the baking soda?
    3B--low porosity--high density--fine/medium
    PT: Hello Hydration/coconut oil, Poo: Organix, Condish: Jane Carter, Leave-In: As I Am, CW: Shea Radiance, DT: homemade, Sealant: avocado/jojoba oil, mango butter, Styler: KCCC, Shea Moisture
  • Rawan.SalehRawan.Saleh Registered Users Posts: 1
    I would do it after DT as many times as you was your hair

Shampoo: Clean Curls Moisturizing Sulfate Free Shampp
    Conditioner: Aussie Moist Conditioner
    Deep Treatment: Aussie Strong Three Minute Miracle
    Leave In: Aussie Moist or Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave In
    Oil: Olive Oil Mostly sometimes Sweet Almond Oil, Castor Oil or Jojoba Oil
    ACV: once a week
    Curl Pattern: 3b
    I wash my hair once a week
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    If I do it too often my hair gets a bit weighed down, plus my fine hair likes a little grip from the hard water, so now I use it maybe once every 2-4 weeks.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • wycurlswycurls Registered Users Posts: 47
    using acv as a last step with my more alakline hard water has been essential. No conditioner has helped with the softness and quality of my hair as acr. It makes sense if you think about it-the PH of the water and wash products, the vinegar neutralizes things and balances the PH of my hair. Works great in locations with high calcium concentrations.
  • Epetty95Epetty95 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    I tried ACV rinse for the first time a few days ago and now my hair gets oily a lot easier. Has anyone experienced that? I am not sure if it is just my hair trying to get use to it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file