CurlTalk

Drugstore gel with PVP/VA copolymer?

Or VP/VA copolymer? I know this is vinyl or plastic or something, but I'm noticing it's in my favorite products and that I don't get the hold I need when this ingredient is missing. It is usually the 2nd or 3rd ingredient.

Do you know of a cheap drugstore gel (or other styler) with this ingredient (and without cones or parabens)?

I know lots of people like the LA Looks gels, and the 2nd ingredient is simply pvp, no copolymer listed. Is this the same thing? Thanks!!
Formerly Urbancurl.
Medium-high density, fine-medium, low-normal porosity, 3b/c, permanent color.
CG, no heat, combs, brushes, parabens.
Fall/Winter HG=Alba Botanica Soft Hold Style Cream.
Spring/Summer HG=MGA Sculpting Gel
Current fave LI=Madre Labs Made by Nature for Baby Conditioner.
Limit oils, butters, glycerin.

Comments

• beeduhbeeduh Posts: 684Registered Users
    Eco styler has those ingredients, I'm pretty sure. I really like eco styler krystal (the clear gel). I haven't tried any others though. It also has protein.
    CG as of Feb. 2012
    combination hair.
    2c on top - low elasticity
    3a&b scattered underneath - normal elasticity.
    fine texture. thin density. A lot of it.
    porosity: normal to high.
    loves protein and moisture.
    BSACV as needed.

products may vary. i'm a PJ.
    loving Curl Junkie, Curly Kinks, and AS I Am.
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,257Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I did a little research and these two ingredients look fairly similar. VP/VA Copolymer = Polyvinylpyrrolidone/Vinyl Acetate (VP/VA) Copolymer. PVP = Povidone or Polyvinylpyrrolidone. According to cosmeticsinfo.org they perform similar functions, both of them acting to suspend an insoluble solid in a liquid product, and help hair holds its style by inhibit its ability to absorb moisture. However, only VP/VA Coplymer's page mentions that it "dries to form a thin coating on the skin, hair or nails". I'm guessing that gels with VP/VA Copolymer would form a "better" gel cast than gels without it, but I don't have any solid evidence to turn that from a guess to a fact. IAGirl might have more or better info.

In the meantime, EWG's (Skin Deep Cosmetics Database) page here has a long list of products with VP/VA Copolymer if you'd like to have a look.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • diasporadiaspora Posts: 596Registered Users
    Thanks for the Eco Styler rec, Beeduh and the info from EWG, Geek_Chic. EWG is a fascinating site, I don't think I've heard of it before. Being that I'm kind of picky about ingredients (as are my allergies), I like seeing the safety ratings. I'm afraid I'll have to rule out most drug store products for stuff I'm leaving in my hair. :( The Eco Styler ingredients actually look safe though, except the fragrance might bother me, but that's Sally's not drugstore, right (I'm not near a Sally's so I'd have to get it online)? I think I might just pay more than drugstore and stick with a brand that I really like other products from, Alba. Their gel has the VP copolymer stuff. Oh well, the drug store was a nice thought.
    Formerly Urbancurl.
  • beeduhbeeduh Posts: 684Registered Users
    Eco styler can be found everywhere. It's not just a Sally's thing. Though I did buy a 32oz tub for 2.99 at Sally's. But I've also seen Eco at publix, Walgreens, rite aid, Winn Dixie and I think Walmart.
    CG as of Feb. 2012
    combination hair.
    2c on top - low elasticity
    3a&b scattered underneath - normal elasticity.
    fine texture. thin density. A lot of it.
    porosity: normal to high.
    loves protein and moisture.
    BSACV as needed.

products may vary. i'm a PJ.
    loving Curl Junkie, Curly Kinks, and AS I Am.
  • diasporadiaspora Posts: 596Registered Users
    beeduh wrote: »
    Eco styler can be found everywhere. It's not just a Sally's thing. Though I did buy a 32oz tub for 2.99 at Sally's. But I've also seen Eco at publix, Walgreens, rite aid, Winn Dixie and I think Walmart.

Ah, ok, thanks. I will look for it. Does it give you the hold you need? The pvp is a bit further down in the ingredients list than in my other fave holding products.
    Formerly Urbancurl.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    Geek_Chic wrote: »
    I did a little research and these two ingredients look fairly similar. VP/VA Copolymer = Polyvinylpyrrolidone/Vinyl Acetate (VP/VA) Copolymer. PVP = Povidone or Polyvinylpyrrolidone. According to cosmeticsinfo.org they perform similar functions, both of them acting to suspend an insoluble solid in a liquid product, and help hair holds its style by inhibit its ability to absorb moisture. However, only VP/VA Coplymer's page mentions that it "dries to form a thin coating on the skin, hair or nails". I'm guessing that gels with VP/VA Copolymer would form a "better" gel cast than gels without it, but I don't have any solid evidence to turn that from a guess to a fact. IAGirl might have more or better info.

In the meantime, EWG's (Skin Deep Cosmetics Database) page here has a long list of products with VP/VA Copolymer if you'd like to have a look.

I wish I saw this before I bought Cream Set, which is supposed to be a gel alternative. My hair hates PVP so Ecostyler and the like is a no go but when I saw VP/VA Copolymer I wasn't familiar with it and thought it might be okay. Plus the jar says no buildup and my hair easily gets buildup which equals dryness. Last night I went to cowash my hair and I could tell after two washes the stuff was still in my hair. :puker:My hair wasn't able to get any moisture in. It was suffocating. Finally I coated my hair with condtioner and shampooed with a very moisturizing bar. I watched the moisture come back to my hair. I'm either taking this back to Sally's on only using it right before a shampoo.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav: