Color question

curlangel0690curlangel0690 Posts: 172Registered Users
So I remember reading somewhere that using color on porous hair can help to fill in the holes in the shaft. The reason I'm curious is because I was thinking of doing a semi or demi dye and wanted to know if this is true. Can color fill in the holes of porous hair?
"I'm not high maintenance, my hair is."
3c mostly fine, high to normal porosity, medium density, normal elasticity

Co-Wash- VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, TreSemme Naturals
LowPoo- GTTT
RO- GVP Conditioning Balm
LI- Giovanni Direct Leave In, GVP Conditioning Balm,
Stylers- KMFUM, Eco Styler Krystal, AOMMM, UFDCM,
Oils- Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Coconut
PT- IAGirl's Gelatin PT
DC- AS I Am Hydrating Mask

Comments

• SusieSuzeSusieSuze Posts: 524Registered Users
    It will both open the cuticle and make the holes bigger, and also fill at the same time.

The filling falls out however and you are left with even more damage in your hair.

If you want to fill holes with pigment without disturbing the cuticle and causing further damage, I'd recommend Goldwell's Soft Color. It is super conditioning and has pigment that really stays in porous hair. You can buy it at most hair salons. If they don't carry it, you can have them special order it for you. About $15 a can and does many applications.
  • anjelica121anjelica121 Posts: 9Registered Users
    Yes I too agreed with you that hair colors are dangerous to hairs many times.
  • curlangel0690curlangel0690 Posts: 172Registered Users
    Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking for a subtle change in color and thought a semi or demi would be good. I didn't want to get into that cycle of permenant color with touch ups and whatnot again. I'll look into the Goldwell.

LowPoo- GTTT
    PT- IAGirl's Gelatin PT
    I notice your hair is very dark. You will not get much change in colour. If you use a dark violet of burgundy you'll get subtle highlights and they won't last a long time because it looks like you've got virgin hair.

If you want to lighten a bit without so much damage maybe using honey will work for you.
  • curlangel0690curlangel0690 Posts: 172Registered Users
    Those were the colors I was aiming for. My hair is actually a couple shades lighter than in my avatar. I had crappy lighting when I took that pic. I kinda figured a semi wouldn't last long so I'm ok with it. I am a creature of habit so I have to do small changes at a time or I kinda freak, lol.

LowPoo- GTTT
    PT- IAGirl's Gelatin PT
    You are very pretty so I am sure those pretty colours will look awesome on you!

Just a note: You should make sure your hair is squeaky clean before using semi or mousse. The cuticle of the hair must be free of all oils and products. Use a gentle shampoo and your colour will stick better. :)

Have fun and good luck!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file