HORRIBLE experience at Cappella, Studio City CA: advice?

Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hey, guys,
I just had to post this and vent a little - hope it'll make me feel a little less po'd.
I had a bad experience at Cappella Salon in Studio City back in Sept. To make a long story short, Keyonna, the stylist, made my hair look like crap on my birthday, and wasn't all that professional either. The cut turned out ok, it was just the styling that was bad.

Anyway, I left a bad review on Yelp. (I tried to review the salon here but it never posted.) Shai, the salon owner, doesn't like negative reviews. He's responded on Yelp to negative reviews before. His response was along the lines of, oh, sorry, you should've called and told me you weren't happy, come back in and I'll style your hair for you.
Well, I emailed him back to schedule an appt. and he never got back to me. That annoyed me so I posted a revision to my review on Yelp that said he never got back to me. I did that because his oh-so-sweet offer to do my hair for free posted on Yelp too, so I wanted people to know he didn't do my hair for free.

So today I got the email below from him. Is this rude, or what? It just made me so mad. I mean, besides the point that if I want to vent on Yelp, that's my right. If I want to walk around naked down Ventura Blvd. with a bloody billboard that says "Cappella Salon ruined my hair" that's my right too. I'm the customer, I can express my satisfaction, or lack of, in any venue I please.

Curlies, what do you all think of this message from the salon owner?
Hi D,

Shai A. has sent you a message on Yelp:

RE: Your comment on my review of Capella Salon

"Hi D,

I'm sorry but I do not check this server on a regular basis. We handle all of our appointments through our front desk. It would have been a lot more effective if you just called my salon and spoke with me directly or emailed me. I don't understand your approach. What was the reason you decided to vent on Yelp?

You wrote in your first review that your visit with Drea was great, but I didn't see any positive reviews from that visit. I just think you are one of those people who loves giving negative reviews. We are not used to dealing with these kind of situations in our salon. We have been very successful since 1995, but we understand that once in a while someone difficult will come in and just rush to write negative review. Doesn't it feel better to give someone praise when they deserve it? I don't think your experience was that horrible that you had to go back to Yelp and try to make me look bad.

I feel really bad that we weren't able to make you happy. Trust me, you would have been a lot happier if you contacted me directly rather than keep posting negative reviews on Yelp.

My offer still stands, email me at the salon or call me and I promise that you will be very impressed with my salon.

All the best to you,

Shai
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB

Comments

• Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So this was what I emailed to Shai, the owner of Cappella salon, this morning.

I'd love some feedback. This guy has really gotten under my skin. (sorry about the yellow, its my spell check and I don't know how to turn it off)

Dear Shai,

No, I am not one of those people who love giving negative reviews. I have been a customer of Drea's, in your salon, since 2007.

I think you are confused with the purpose of Yelp. Yelp exists as a venue for customers to express their review of businesses and the treatment they received from a business and it's proprietors. It's a tool for the patron - and it's not there solely so that patrons can write positive reviews only. It's there so we can write honest reviews. If you feel a negative review isn't warranted, then you should look to your business and your own practices, and not assume the customer must be wrong. A review of a business is just that - the customer's review of her experience with your business. If my experience is negative, Yelp provides the forum for me to express my dissatisfaction with that experience. Do you honestly think that its more believable that I'm some kind of compulsive Yelp liar, than that you might give bad customer service? Do you realize how ludicrous that sounds?

The fact is, I had a terrible experience in your salon. You "don't believe my initial experience was that horrible"? Really? It was my experience, so I think I am the person best qualified to judge how horrible it was for me. Because it's my experience. Keyonna, your stylist, did my hair on my 40th birthday, and she did such a poor job that she ruined my birthday. 40 is probably the most traumatizing age a woman can reach; it's the age a woman most wants to feel beautiful - and when I left your salon, I felt so ugly that I cried. When I got home, my roommate said, these exact words: "I thought you got your hair done?" because my hair looked so bad. So tell me that my initial experience "wasn't that horrible." How dare you tell me how bad my experience was for me? And do not think it is ok to dismiss my experience by saying "well, that stylist isn't working here anymore," because you, with your horrible attitude and your accusations, have made my experience even worse. No one likes to be called a liar or to be belittled, and that is exactly what you are doing with this email and by posting one thing on Yelp, and by sending a totally different, nastier message here.

After my first review, you sent me an email offering to make it up to me, and I was more than willing to write you a new review based on that experience. Yet when I contacted you about setting up an appointment, I never heard from you. If you email me saying "contact me to make an appointment," then of course I'm going to email you back. It's an electronic world, alot of businesses make appointments are made electronically. For you to say, "I didn't respond because you didn't call" when you requested via email that I make an appointment is hypocritical.

I don't owe you or anyone an explanation as to how I review, nor do I need to justify why I write a review, or a follow-up review. It's insulting of you to imply that I'm targeting your salon because I like to write negative reviews without provocation. I wrote a very positive review of my experience with Drea on NC.com, if you care to look it up. I had no problem with Drea, and I'm sure she still does good hair and provides excellent customer service. She's actually been doing my hair for 5 years, in your salon, which shows how well you know your customers, and I would love to have her continue to do my hair, so I'll be sad to have to find another stylist. Unfortunately I cannot accept your offer to come into your salon again, as I would not feel comfortable trusting you to do my hair when you clearly harbor such strong feelings of dislike. Nor would I feel comfortable stepping foot inside your salon. I understand Devachan has opened a branch in Studio City, so I'll be taking my business to them, and recommending their salon to my other curly friends.

Sometimes a person's negative experience is actually the fault of the business, and not the patron. When you blame the patron for her negative experience, you will end up alienating her even more. Only you can determine if proving yourself in the "right" is worth isolating future trade. I was not "trying to make you look bad," Shai. I was trying to get a good Deva haircut and a positive, empowering experience, something that's gotten lost in translation.

DS

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
  • KerrianaKerriana Posts: 7Registered Users
    I didn't read your review on Yelp, but from what you posted here, I think your response is quite appropriate and mannerly towards such a poor treatment and blaming email. Is it possible to post his email and your response on Yelp as well? (not sure if there is a word limit).

His response is unacceptable as a business owner in a customer service field. With such long years of "experience", he should know better than anyone how important hair is to a person, and how curlies have a particularly harder time than others in styling their hair.

Hope you will have a better time at Davachan!
    [FONT=&quot]Type: 2c? 3a?
    Turned curly since Oct 28, 2010!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Current routine:
    Shampoo
    Live Clean Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo
    Conditioner
    TRESemme Naturals Moisture Conditioner
    Leave-in
    Aveda - Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother (NOT CG approved, but my stylist recommended it as a great anti-humectant)
    Live Clean Fresh Water Leave-in Conditioner
    Style(testing these products, since I have just gotten my big chop)
    AG Re:coil Curl Activating Balm
    Kinky-Curly Curling Custard
    Kinky-Curly Spiral Spritz[/FONT]
  • luvscurlzluvscurlz Posts: 109Registered Users
    Hey, guys,
    I just had to post this and vent a little - hope it'll make me feel a little less po'd.
    I had a bad experience at Cappella Salon in Studio City back in Sept. To make a long story short, Keyonna, the stylist, made my hair look like crap on my birthday, and wasn't all that professional either. The cut turned out ok, it was just the styling that was bad.

Anyway, I left a bad review on Yelp. (I tried to review the salon here but it never posted.) Shai, the salon owner, doesn't like negative reviews. He's responded on Yelp to negative reviews before. His response was along the lines of, oh, sorry, you should've called and told me you weren't happy, come back in and I'll style your hair for you.
    Well, I emailed him back to schedule an appt. and he never got back to me. That annoyed me so I posted a revision to my review on Yelp that said he never got back to me. I did that because his oh-so-sweet offer to do my hair for free posted on Yelp too, so I wanted people to know he didn't do my hair for free.

So today I got the email below from him. Is this rude, or what? It just made me so mad. I mean, besides the point that if I want to vent on Yelp, that's my right. If I want to walk around naked down Ventura Blvd. with a bloody billboard that says "Cappella Salon ruined my hair" that's my right too. I'm the customer, I can express my satisfaction, or lack of, in any venue I please.

Curlies, what do you all think of this message from the salon owner?
    Hi D,

Shai A. has sent you a message on Yelp:

RE: Your comment on my review of Capella Salon

"Hi D,

I'm sorry but I do not check this server on a regular basis. We handle all of our appointments through our front desk. It would have been a lot more effective if you just called my salon and spoke with me directly or emailed me. I don't understand your approach. What was the reason you decided to vent on Yelp?

You wrote in your first review that your visit with Drea was great, but I didn't see any positive reviews from that visit. I just think you are one of those people who loves giving negative reviews. We are not used to dealing with these kind of situations in our salon. We have been very successful since 1995, but we understand that once in a while someone difficult will come in and just rush to write negative review. Doesn't it feel better to give someone praise when they deserve it? I don't think your experience was that horrible that you had to go back to Yelp and try to make me look bad.

I feel really bad that we weren't able to make you happy. Trust me, you would have been a lot happier if you contacted me directly rather than keep posting negative reviews on Yelp.

My offer still stands, email me at the salon or call me and I promise that you will be very impressed with my salon.

All the best to you,

Shai

I honestly don't think his response is rude. It would have made more sense to call the salon directly to make your 2nd correction appointment. He's also offering to re-do your hair free of charge. And, no business owner wants bad reviews that's understandable as well. I know it's frustrating when you're not happy with the results from a salon visit, but they're doing everything they can to correct it for you which is to re-do it free of charge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.lenasblend.com
  • CurlyFireHorseCurlyFireHorse Posts: 350Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd have been mad as heck at his response. The statement "I just think you are one of those people who loves giving negative reviews. " is infuriatingly condescending and judgmental. He is presuming that he knows you and your motives and thinks the worst of you. I do however think the "contact me for another appointment" was a simple miscommunication on his part, but I would be hesitant to let him touch my hair.
    CurlyFireHorse
    Hair: 2a or 3a (not sure), very porous and fine as frog hair
    Day 1: Cowash and condition with AO GPB, ACV Rinse,
    Co-Kra gel (this stuff is fantastic)

Day 2: KCKT, KCCC, plop, KCCC, plop again, air dry
    Day 3: Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Coil Jam
    Day 4: IAGirl's PT, KBB DT, FSG

Co-Kra gel is my own concoction of okra boiled in coconut milk. It is a cross between FSG and KCCC and leaves my hair very soft and shiny
  • curlangel0690curlangel0690 Posts: 172Registered Users
    I would have been angry too. I work in customer service and if a customer gives me a negative review my first question is, "What was it about the service that u[set you and how can I fix it?" My first reflex is not to tell then that they are a person who likes to be negative. His response would have been fine if he had not taken an accusatory and judgmental tone. What I'm still trying to wrap my head around is that this happened in Sept. and you are just getting a response now. Also why would he tell you you would have been better off calling the salon as he doesn't check Yelp that often and then tell you to either call or EMAIL him back. Why would you email someone who doesn't check it? SMH.
    "I'm not high maintenance, my hair is."
    3c mostly fine, high to normal porosity, medium density, normal elasticity

Co-Wash- VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, TreSemme Naturals
    LowPoo- GTTT
    RO- GVP Conditioning Balm
    LI- Giovanni Direct Leave In, GVP Conditioning Balm,
    Stylers- KMFUM, Eco Styler Krystal, AOMMM, UFDCM,
    Oils- Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Coconut
    PT- IAGirl's Gelatin PT
    DC- AS I Am Hydrating Mask
  • AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
    lenasblend wrote: »

I honestly don't think his response is rude. It would have made more sense to call the salon directly to make your 2nd correction appointment. He's also offering to re-do your hair free of charge. And, no business owner wants bad reviews that's understandable as well. I know it's frustrating when you're not happy with the results from a salon visit, but they're doing everything they can to correct it for you which is to re-do it free of charge.

:confused5: How would it have made more sense for her to have called him? Honestly, he should have specified either way (either CALL or EMAIL, in plain English). Since he failed to do that, it follows for her to respond to him in the forum that HE chose to use to initiate contact.

And what? No business owner wants bad reviews so what is understandable? Snarky emails? How about, no customer wants to receive shoddy service, so calling him out in public is understandable. Warning other potential customers about a poor stylist and a belligerent salon owner is understandable.

OP, I wouldn't trust this guy or his stylists anywhere near my hair after this debacle. He seems bitter. And a bitter stylist does not a happy customer make. Move on to Devachan. You were perfectly within your rights to share your experience. And you've probably saved a couple people from a similar negative experience.
  • forbeeforbee Posts: 441Registered Users
    His response was unprofessional, and it was rude of him to imply that you just like leaving negative reviews. If he gets a negative review, he needs to just deal with it. Seriously.

If he had wanted you to call him to set up an appointment, he should have told you so earlier. He doesn't check his email that often? Well, how were you supposed to know that? It's not your fault you didn't. Geesh.
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.
  • bigredapmibigredapmi Posts: 229Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Bad, bad, bad. :confused:
    3a/3b coarse and thick.....big and red

Advanced Deva inspired Stylist
    Thanks, guys.

Lena - actually, they aren't doing everything they can to correct the mess they made of my hair, that was part of the problem and why I rereviewed the salon. They paid lip service to the idea that they'd redo my hair free of charge, but didn't follow through with the offer. I get what you're saying, and I agree, no business owner wants negative reviews. I just think that there's a better way to handle it than to acccuse the customer of being a liar, or making up a negative experience, because she's "one of these people who likes to write negative reviews."

I should explain the timeline so it's a bit more clear. My experience was on my birthday at the end of September. My review of the salon was a month or so later. I'm an active Yelper, but usually just of restaurants. (I love Yelp, but sometimes I don't review right away and it actually dawned on me late that I should review the salon; someone might've mentioned it to me). Sometime after that, maybe early December?, I got an email response from the salon owner. In his email, he said to contact him for an opportunity to make me happy with my hair.
    I didn't contact him rilght away, I weighed the pros and cons of having someone I'd reviewed negatively do my hair, but I figured, why not? I'd been to the salon before, and been happy. And he has good reviews on here. (So did the woman who messed up my hair, but live and learn.) Because he contacted me via email, I didn't think twice about emailing back. I have other stylists and other professionals email me to schedule appointments all the time.
    Well, he never got back to me. (Also, in the email I sent him, I gave him my phone number, so he could contact me via email or phone if he preferred.) That annoyed me, so I left a follow-up review in March, after I deemed enough time had passed that I was sure he wasn't going to get back to me. I just heard back from him, again via email, last week.

It is mainly his accusation that I am "one of those people who enjoys writing negative reviews" that makes me angry. To me, that's an assault on my character. He also attempts to blame me for my own negative experience. I haven't put it up here, but he responded to my message, asking me why I made an appointment with a stylist I hadn't been to anyway? Again, implying that I have no one to blame but myself.
    I don't think I owe him explanations - his salon provided bad service, which he is compounding by treating me shabbily for having the nerve to complain publically.
    I totally do not want this guy anywhere near my hair with scissors. Unfortunately, I loved my stylist, Drea, who still works there, but I won't be going back to her as long as she works in that salon.
    (BTW, the reason I didn't go to her in Sept. and went to a different stylist in the salon was that she was off for two weeks on her honeymoon, something that I would've expected the owner of the salon to have known.)

If anyone wants to see my Yelp review, you can find it here, along with his responses.
    Capella Salon - Studio City - Studio City, CA

If you look at my reviews on Yelp, you can see that I write positive, as well as negative, reviews. Sometimes I can be snarky, but when I have a good experience, I am really generous in my praise.

I haven't decided if I want to write a follow-up, but I might because if you notice, his 2nd response is different from the much ruder reply he wrote to me, and I don't think that's right.

Currently using:
  • monipearlmonipearl Posts: 95Registered Users
    i'm so sorry that happened to you, auntie bubbs. :(

the owner seems arrogant and quite rude. read some of the other reviews through the link you provided and the negative ones pretty much echoed your experience.

originally i was going to get a cut at a salon highly rated on here but when i emailed the owner/stylist to get more information... i had no response for two weeks. when they finally emailed back, it was not the owner but some assistant or other using her email. they basically said she was really busy but to let them know what days and times would work for me and they would try to squeeze me in for a consult. i smartened that up a bit. the email read like it was written by a four year old. very unprofessional.

so i ended up making an appointment with my friend. i let her straighten it to make the cut. and you know what? i'm extremely happy with my choice. she did a fantastic job and also agreed to use natural products on me (excluding the 'cones slathered on for heat protection of course). she even offered to wash it after we were done to make sure i was happy with the cut. i trust her and feel at ease in her chair. she listened to my needs and gave me them to the best of her ability.

i'll definitely be using her again. perhaps i can convince her to cut it curly in the future. lending her my copy of the curly girl handbook. :)

i hope you find a salon you can trust again. your relationship with your stylist is an important and intimate one. it's like going through a bad break-up when you lose that relationship.
    3c-4b. probably.
    medium/coarse texture.
    (extremely)high density.
    low porosity, normal elasticity.
    co-wash: suave naturals daily clarifying condish with drops of rosemary oil.
    detangling conditioner: tresemme naturals.
    deep conditioner: curly kinks curlycue renew, b.a.s.k. cacao bark, honey/evoo.
  • IAmJordanNicoleIAmJordanNicole Posts: 784Registered Users
    I find it interesting that there is now a positive review of him and his salon on this website. Maybe he's doing some damage control??

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk -- please ignore my typos!
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I find it interesting that there is now a positive review of him and his salon on this website. Maybe he's doing some damage control??

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk -- please ignore my typos!

I also noticed it just happens to be a brand new member with just that one single post...:scratch:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    Yeah, I saw that this morning, too. It's probably an assistant he got to do it, because it's not as articulate as his emails. It's an amateur attempt to try to make his salon look better - as if we aren't smart enough to pick up on the fact that this is a new member posting a rave review, of course it's a plant.

I know he's been on here though, because he looked up my review on here and then demanded to know why I have a different screen name on here than I do on Yelp. Like I said, the guy seems to feel entitled to explanations from me instead of giving an apology for his salon or his own behavior. I will say though, that after he realised that I am a legit customer and was telling the truth about having been a patron of his salon for over 5 years - he talked to his stylist, Drea, and she told him she knew who I was - he was more apologetic in his 3rd, 4th? email to me. It was still along the lines of, sorry you couldn't be happy with us, rather than, sorry I have been such a jerk, but I think that's about as apologetic as he's capable of being. He offered to have my stylist Drea do my hair for free if I'd come back, but honestly, I don't want to go back. I feel like he's poisoned the salon and the experience there for me.
    I'd rather pay to have someone else do my hair. I do want to warn other people in the area about him though. No matter how good he may be at doing hair, he treats people who question or challenge him like crap, and that is not right.

Currently using:
    Thanks again for all the support from my fellow curlies. I just wanted to mention that I'm going to a different salon in the next week, and I'll post before and after pics for you all.

I'll probably use a different thread for that though :D

Currently using:
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That was not a customer service, professional response. That was an offensive, "It's your lousy personality that wants to complain" type of response full of justifications. So, you're right to be pissed.

His response should have been a very simple, "I strive to have happy customers. I apologize that your hair did not come out to your liking. I will do everything in my power to correct it. Please call and ask for me and I will schedule you ASAP, no charge."

That would be customer service.

Or, if he wanted more info, he could have simply asked you to call him to discuss what made you unhappy in detail and how it could be corrected.

Instead, he placed the blame on YOU. And that's not what a pro is supposed to do. (And yes, there are nutjobs who complain about everything, but I think it's safe to say that he could have read some of your posts here to figure out you were not a nutjob troll reviewer.)

Anyway, best with the next cut. I know how distressing it is not to have a "hair home"....
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file