Matted hair. HELP!!!

induetimeinduetime Posts: 105Registered Users
I am currently transitioning, I haven't had a Relaxer in 6 months. I decided to get kinky twist (done by Africans) so I could give my hair a break. I just took them out yesterday myself after keeping then in for 5wks.
I washed my hair, and OMG! My hair is sooo tangled and matted its just sad. I have cried so many times looking at the outcome. All I wanted to do is feel my own hair again and see the growth. I have put several products on it and nothing Is working. The thought of having to get it cut makes me sad, but I know its just hair. I have 2in of new growth and the other 7in is relaxed.
I would like to know if anyone has been through this and what you did to get the tangles out. I want my last option to be cutting it.
I will try to attach a pic so you can see how drawn up my hair is.

Sent from my HERO200 using CurlTalk App

Comments

• darkbeautyttdarkbeautytt Posts: 448Registered Users
    I did when I transition and wat I actually did was cried while detangling and.I was so frustrated I took the scissors and chop it off then went to the barber to even it out. I'm sorry u experience this. It can be tiring when dealing with both texture.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using CurlTalk App
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    Deep condition your hair and possibly try a pre poo treatment with coconut or olive oil
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
    If u have patients saturate ur hair with conditioner and hair oil or butter, allow it to marinate for one hour make sure to use conditioner with slip. Section your hair and detangle one by one section by section. Good luck

Don't worry my hair mattes up too. I detangle with lots of water and I gently cleanse my hair with sulfate free shampoos. Use a conditioner with lots of slip to help smooth out the tangles
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
  • induetimeinduetime Posts: 105Registered Users
    If you can notice my hair length in my profile pic and compare it to the other pic I posted, you can see just how matted and drawn up. I just got out of the shower trying hair mayo...that didn't work either. I also tried just for me detangle spray, and that just pulled me hair out as I combed it.
    I was going to wear a wig to work today, but got sad all over again and called out. Where live, most black hair salons are closed on Monday. I think I will go to a smart style in Walmart to see what they cam do. I am prepared for them to.cut it :'(

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When my hair matted, my transition ended. That was months four post relaxer. I tried using oils but it was no use. I was frustrated to tears and finally took my scissors and started chopping it off. Later my mom did my real bc. My hair has never matted since and im glad i didnt continue to put myself through that. I think the way I shampooed led to the matting. I used sulfate. I didnt know anything about how to transition at the time. Hope all works out for you.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
    I think that's what I did wrong, shampoo my hair with a shampoo with sulfates in it.

I don't wash with a sulfate. I'm going to start just co washing on wash days to see of I see a difference in the matting
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    I cut out a knotted matted mess. Took over a year to grow out so I could make my hair even again.

If you have anyone to help you (boyfriend, mother, sister, friend), ask them to help you detangle your hair. Take your time. Use lots of conditioner (get something cheap because you will use the whole bottle) and lots of oils for slip. Get a good sturdy wide tooth comb. You might need to do it in sections.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
    My mom just tried to help. She tried her best, she still had faith I guess.
    I guess I will wear a wig to work tomorrow and get my hair cut after I get off. I have kinda come to terms with it now, I'm done crying over it. I look at it as, I would rather have the choice to cut it instead of it falling out. Plus, I'm expecting, so maybe the extra hormones and vitamins will help it grow faster.
    Thanks to everyone, Im glad you left a comment.

• QuincieGrantQuincieGrant Posts: 22Registered Users
    My hair use to do that to. Take a spray bottle (dollar store in hair section) put 3/4 of olive oil and 1/4 water, shake it up and spray all over hair and then put a deep conditioner in your hair. Then take the comp and detangle, i didnt say it was going to be easy might take about 40 minutes to an hour, just depends. If that doesnt work just rock the short natural look :wave:
    Sad, sad day. There was nothing the stylist at the salon could do (expected).
    I went through with a big chop I never saw coming so early. I just knew I was going to wait at least a year. Oh well, I wanted to be natural. So I guess my transition is over.!

Aww I'm so sorry, but I expected that would eventually happen if the tangled is not taking care of, but at least now u wont be stressing over your hair. Don't be sad but look at the positive side less stylish time plus detangle.and u actually get to enjoy your natural hair. Welcome to the club.and good luck

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    induetime wrote: »
    Sad, sad day. There was nothing the stylist at the salon could do (expected).
    I went through with a big chop I never saw coming so early. I just knew I was going to wait at least a year. Oh well, I wanted to be natural. So I guess my transition is over.!

Why are you sad? I was elated never to have to deal with that two textures mess ever again. This is the time to let go and usher in a whole new era.:wav:
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • CurlyQueen88CurlyQueen88 Posts: 88Registered Users
    Hi induetime,

To be honest I think you've done the best thing. Plus if you're expecting (congrats) then your hair quality will probably improve and it may even grow quicker. So you're right. And along with vitamins, a good diet and drinking plenty of water - you should notice reasonable growth over the next few months. For the meantime try and enjoy having short hair - easier to deal with for a start! It's gonna be in fab condition when it grows. Good luck : )
    Thanks for the encouraging words. I am definitely not sad anymore, I was happy the day I got it cut because I knew I wouldn't have to worry about it any more. However, I am still VERY shy and a little insecure about revealing my new twa to the public. At the moment, I am wearing wigs until it gets a little longer. It's about 2in now, I want it to grow 3 to 4 more inches. One cool thing I can say is, all the black ladies at my job have natural hair. There's 5 of us out of 15. So it won't be much of a shock to our coworkers! We work at an early childhood development center for hospital employees.

You don't have to be shy I just chop off all my hair and mow I'm bald lol and I'm rocking it good. And honestly if u accept your hair people will accept it too

You go with your bad self!! I guess I'm a punk, I'm still nervous about rocking my twa.

Lol girl the confidence will cone as your hair gets longer and your curls are popping everywhere. I couldn't do this without the support from the forum and honestly I think you will be fine

• PearlsForCurlsPearlsForCurls Posts: 86Registered Users
    I REALLY wish I would have seen this post earlier. As tonight I took out my twists, conditioned and detangled THOROUGHLY, and then hopped in the shower to wash and everything went down the drain. I am only 4 months into my transition. I guess I am going to big chop sooner than I had hoped. I have learned my lesson though. I'm crossing over to the other side ladies, make room!:thumright:
    Transitioned from Dec 2011-Jul 2012

Now fully natural!:thumbright:

One year anniversary: Dec 28, 2012

Curl Type: The type that curls kinkily.
    Products: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Condit., Coconut Oil

"Wait, I'm doing it wrong!"
    Lol welcome aboard, you wont regret it

Even though Im not ready to show off my twa, I can't keep my hands out of it. Once im at home, I rip that wig off and play with my curls. I have to make myself stop. Lol!

Lol yea then that's means you are ready!! The moment you can't stop playing with your hair is the best time to rock it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file