Advice on transitioning

legette68legette68 Registered Users Posts: 216
Hello, I am new to this forum. I have 3b/c hair. I am from Trinidad and both of my parents are mixed. My last relaxer was the week of Thanksgiving 2006. My hair falls past my shoulders. I have noticed my hair falling out due to having a baby and winter shedding. I want to go natural and not be dependent on chemical relaxers. Any advice from anyone who had transtioned successfully w/o BC?
Thick, coarse 3C hair:coffee:
BC Feb 2009/ relaxer free since 06/08
Second time around!

http://public.fotki.com/legette68

Comments

• SYBSYB Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Neophyte
    I am a 3B and yes I did transition without ever getting the BC done. I just let my hair grow out. I did get my hair trimmed while transitioning, just to keep my ends in tip top shape, but I never had more than an a 1/2 inch cut off my head at any given time. I am "mixed" too, so I know your concerns about what would be the adequate way to tame your biracial curls.

There are two lines out that cater to biracial, multiethnic, curly, naturally frizzy, kinky, and wavy hair. They are Curls and Blended Beauty. I have used products from both lines in my hair, but I prefer to use Curls products. Mainly because most of their products give my curls more of an elongated look. And all the Blended Beauty's products that I have ever used all give my curls more of a shrunken look to them, which I don't necessarily care for. But both lines are equally as good when it comes to moisturizing curly hair.

A good leave-in moisturizer/styler for you to try from the Curls line is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]Curls Milkshake[/buylink], which works great for transitioners. It makes your hair soft, and it blends in new growth. While transitioning you can put your hair in protective styles , like I often wore such as a bun or curly ponytail. You can do this until you begin feeling more comfortable about wearing your hair down curly or at least until your hair starts to develop more of a uniform curly texture all over your head.

For me it took a year for my hair to fully transition, from chemical relaxers to being 100 percent natural. And yes during this whole transitioning experience you will some "down days" where you may feel clueless about to do next with your hair, but there are a lot of people here including myself who you can readily come to advice.

Here's som key things to remember:

1.Black/Biracial hair only needs to be washed once a week.
    2. You will nee to do a deep treatment weekly for the first few months.
    3. Only detangle your hair when it is wet.
    4.You ned to keep your hair well hydrated and conditioned in order to successfully transition.
    5.You must moisturize your hair on a daily basis.
    6. Avoid using direct heat on your hair at all costs.
    7.Avoid products with synthetic oils in them, because they retard growth. Instead look for products that contain natural oils in them, such as jojoba, coconut, almond, etc. As these oils actually penetrate and moisturize the hair.
    8. For curl control opt for curl enhancers, lotions, and creams. Instead of gel, hairspray, or mousse.

Good luck transitioning! :D
    "Curls Tester"
    Products in my current regime: Nioxin Scalp Therapy Shampoo, ORS Replenishing Pak, Curls Whipped Cream, Curls Souffle, Curls Spiral Curls Cream, Curls Milkshake, Curls Quenched, BB(Bonner Brothers) Growth Lotion
  • legette68legette68 Registered Users Posts: 216
    Thanks SYB for your reply. What product do you use for daily hairdressing. Right now I am using Frederic Fakkai Glossing Cream.
    Thick, coarse 3C hair:coffee:
    BC Feb 2009/ relaxer free since 06/08
    Second time around!

http://public.fotki.com/legette68
  • SYBSYB Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Neophyte
    For a daily hairdressing/styler, I have to switch up at times based on seasonal weather changes. I only use natural-based styling products in my hair, because I feel that they keep my hair looking its healthiest, and they help my hair to retain as much moisture as it possibly can. My hair is naturally as dry as the Sahara, by the way. For styling products here is all that I have to pick from to be used in my hair:

Curls Spiral Curl Cream
    Curls Souffle
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Whipped-Cream-p-883.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Whipped-Cream]Curls Whipped Cream[/buylink]
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]Curls Milkshake[/buylink]
    Nia's Hair Oil
    Nia's "Unscented" Hair Milk
    (The last 2 products were bought from someone off of another hairboard that runs her own business making natural based haircare, skincare, and bath products).
    "Curls Tester"
    Products in my current regime: Nioxin Scalp Therapy Shampoo, ORS Replenishing Pak, Curls Whipped Cream, Curls Souffle, Curls Spiral Curls Cream, Curls Milkshake, Curls Quenched, BB(Bonner Brothers) Growth Lotion

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file