shampoo/conditioner recommendations?

WavyshibbyWavyshibby Registered Users Posts: 165
Hi, I'm asking this on behalf of my curly-haired friend. (guy) He was really nice blonde ringlets, and he wants to go CG but he has this weird rule: his shampoo and conditioner must "match." Weird, I know, but he won't use a Suave shampoo with an Herbal Essences conditioner. Can anyone recommend a drugstore CG shampoo and conditioner that's from the same product line? Thanks!
2c/3a, fine texture, normal porosity, medium-to-thick
Co wash: Vo5 Extra Body
Conditioners: Deva One Condition, GVP CB, Loreal Evercurl
Stylers: Devacurl ArcAngel, KCCC, AG Recoil, Iso Bouncy Creme, Ecostyler Krystal, CCCCL, KCKT
Low Poo: Devacurl NoPoo, GTTT
Hair likes: plopping, diffusing, SMaster's, coconut and argan oil, honey, protein
"What makes a woman unforgettable? Her mind...surrounded by lots of naturally curly hair"

Comments

• PRINCETONPRINCETON Registered Users Posts: 872
    Doesn't Tresemme Naturals have both shampoo and conditioner?

PRINCETON
  • juanabjuanab Registered Users Posts: 4,037 Curl Neophyte
    PRINCETON wrote: »
    Doesn't Tresemme Naturals have both shampoo and conditioner?

PRINCETON

Yes, they do.

48b8b62e-7ccf-da06.jpg

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
    I only use the conditioner. Will have to see if the shampoo is worth getting too.

PRINCETON
  • Goin'GreyGoin'Grey Registered Users Posts: 301 Curl Neophyte
    WavyShibby, Tell you friend that most shampoos contain sulfates and that is a big NO-NO if he wants to go CG.
    3A, Protein Senitive, Low Porosity,
    Med-Course
    Wash: Suave Naturals Conds (excluding Coconut), CVSB
    Rinse out/Leave In: GVP Cond. Balm, KCKT,
    Style: Naturelle Gel(winter HG), KCCC (summer HG), Flaxseed gel
    SOTC: JCNS
    Love your hair: Love yourself!
  • oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Registered Users Posts: 640
    Try Renpure Organics Shampoos & Conditioners. Gentle, sulfate and silicone free, natural, and awesome!
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,537
    I searched everywhere and couldn't find them. I got a small bottle of Garnier pure clean. Trying it as a rinse out and also putting some in after my shower. Had no choice but to order Renpure from amazon. 2 bottles of keratin and amla oil...I've heard enuff about them now. I will check my grocery store next week too

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
    Ok...I had gotten a few little bottles at the grocery store...I don't get why there is the a-cone in the shampoo. So far my hair looks good tho. I just got the keratin and argan oil in the mail so I'll try that tomorrow. Yay!

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
  • yossarianyossarian Registered Users Posts: 967
    Just so you know, the Tresemme Naturals shampoo has lower sulfates, but is NOT sulfate free (therefore not CG).

The TN conditioner, OTOH, has no cones and is CG-compliant : )

HTH!

ETA: The same is tragically true of the Suave Naturals line as well - the conditioner is cone-free and a major fave around here, while the shampoo has SLS.

Maybe I'm weird too, but like your friend, I try to stay in the same line, for a couple of reasons. Manufacturers often formulate their products to complement each other, so you get better results that way. I also hate having clashing scents in my hair! :icon_smile:

Sent from my SPH-D600 using CurlTalk App
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
    I've used the tressemee with the lower sulphates...it seems to almost make my hair dryer than just regular shampoo

The a-cone is manufactured dimethicone to be water soluble ... I still stay away from cones only because I am in a phase where I don't want big hair. Also, I don't want to worry about finding all the right products that blend well with cones.

I would recommend testing if you use any leave-in conditioners or gels that contain protein. Many times after you used an [a-cone or dimethicone] shampoo or conditioner it can cause the protein in your leave-in or styling product to separate, turn white, and then be visible on the hair after you dry.

In the past, before I stopped using cones, I had to jump back in the shower too many times to re-shampoo dealing with trying to mesh protein products with cone products.

PRINCETON
  • ChikyuuChikyuu Registered Users Posts: 268
    Try Renpure Organics Shampoos & Conditioners. Gentle, sulfate and silicone free, natural, and awesome!
    ^^^ This!
    PhoneCurtainScale.jpgPhoneFrontScale.jpgWEbcamHaircutscale.jpg
    2c or something MODCG Since December 2011!
    New May 20th Routine
    Low-poo:SheaM
    Co-wash:VO5 KiwiLime or VanillaMint
    LI:TN, Regis OliveOil Condish, GVP CB
    Styler: LALSG
    Daily routine: Cleanse, LI, soak with water, scrunch in gel, plop, pixie diffuse, air dry.

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    I haven't tried Renpure's shampoos, but I'm loving their Brazilian Keratin Straightening conditioner. Fantastic stuff. I've heard good things about the green and red formulas too, but they have girly names, if that's an issue. Wavyshibby, not sure if your friend would be ok with using a shampoo /conditioner called "My Pretty Hair is Parched" or not, but the line is worth a try.

Btw though, the a-cone isn't water soluble. When combined with Tricedeth-12 and Cetrimonium Chloride in a product, it is water dispersible, which helps it distribute better in the product and on the hair. Once it dries though, it's non water soluble. It is a little better than some other silicones such as dimethicone, in that once 1 layer of a-cone is deposited, it repels any further a-cone from depositing. So, you only ever have 1 layer of it on your hair. Of course it does require a low poo or a sulfate poo to remove, but it works really well for some curlies.

According to Live Curly Live Free:
    A note about amodimethicone: if you do an Internet search on amodimethicone, you will find quite a few sites that list amodimethicone as a silicone that is "slightly" soluble in water as long as two additional ingredients are included in the formulation:
    Amodimethicone (and) Trideceth-12 (and) Cetrimonium Chloride (as a mixture in the bottle)
    The assumption has always been that the inclusion of Trideceth-12 (a nonionic surfactant) and cetrimonium chloride (a cationic surfactant) render the amodimethicone, non-water soluble on its own, slightly soluble in water and it could be considered okay to use. Turns out that has been a completely incorrect assumption. What the Trideceth-12 and cetrimonium chloride do is render the amodimethicone dispersible in water. Once the amodimethicone is deposited onto the hair shaft and dries to a film, however, it is not water-soluble, will prevent moisture from getting into the hair shaft and will require a surfactant to remove.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • WavyshibbyWavyshibby Registered Users Posts: 165
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! He's currently using a silicone heavy Pantene duo, but I think I'll reccomend the Garnier Fructis Pure Clean. Thanks so much!
    2c/3a, fine texture, normal porosity, medium-to-thick
    Co wash: Vo5 Extra Body
    Conditioners: Deva One Condition, GVP CB, Loreal Evercurl
    Stylers: Devacurl ArcAngel, KCCC, AG Recoil, Iso Bouncy Creme, Ecostyler Krystal, CCCCL, KCKT
    Low Poo: Devacurl NoPoo, GTTT
    Hair likes: plopping, diffusing, SMaster's, coconut and argan oil, honey, protein
    "What makes a woman unforgettable? Her mind...surrounded by lots of naturally curly hair"
    Wavyshibby wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! He's currently using a silicone heavy Pantene duo

I'm glad he likes silicones. For some reason they don't work for me. I would be interested in knowing if he chose the products specifically for silicones, if he's disinterested in silicones, or if he's just unaware of that area of hair care.

PRINCETON
    Just a guy with long curly hair
    🐶

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file