A breakthrough!

CurlySuziQCurlySuziQ Registered Users Posts: 5
I had a hair breakthrough this week. I've probably spent 80 hours reading this site trying to figure out how to live without sulfates and silicones... I'm finally figuring it out! :)

When I first tried CG, my hair was clumpy and flat. Not good for very thin hair! Lots of scalp showing, even when dry. So I combed after applying product to break up the clumps, but that left me with stringy curls.

I finally figured out (thanks to Kathymack) that polyquats build up like crazy on me, so no more mousse. Gels are too heavy. Figured out I love jellies/custards.

Hair was still stringy and flat though... But this week I figured out what to do! Here's my new routine...

Low poo or co-wash, then condition. Rinse. Apply LI and briefly rinse in cool water. Smooth some jelly right-side-up, to get crown. Flip upside-down and rake more jelly in. Reform clumps with fingers. Scrunch with a t-shirt. Plop in a long-sleeved t-shirt for 15 minutes. Remove plop and air dry. I don't part--I just let it fall wherever. I do rough up the roots slightly to hide some scalp if I'm going out before it's dry.

Now here's the breakthrough... After scrunching out the crunch, it's still pretty flat and clumpy, which is just the problem I had in the beginning that drove me to combing. So today, after SOTC, I tried flipping upside-down and roughing up the roots by inserting my fingers in and rubbing my scalp a little. This fixes the volume problem! Now for the clumps, I tried raking my fingers through the clumps just a bit after SOTC. It worked beautifully! It made my hair look bigger and thicker and denser. Why did it take me so long to figure this out?

So the moral of the story is... Don't hate the clumps! Let them dry that way, THEN break them up. If you break them up before you scrunch and dry, your hair will look stringy. (At least if your hair is like mine...)

Heck, with this breakthrough, I might even give gels and cationic surfactants another try... Maybe they're not so heavy after all!
3a, Thin, Fine, Normal Porosity, Low Elasticity

Sulfate Poo (1x/week): Nioxin or Nutri-Ox (need poo or my hair gets heavy and flat)
PT/DT (1x/week): Ion Effective Care/GVP CB
Co-wash (3x/week): VO5 Clarifying or Volume, Tresemme Radiant Volume
RO: Giov DLI, KCKT (yes, I RO LIs--too heavy otherwise)
Stylers: Mixed Silk CG, KCCC

No polyquats - they feel like waxy build up!

Comments

• Touch.of.inkTouch.of.ink Registered Users Posts: 297
    Hey! Another Suzi! :)

I'll try your technique tomorrow. Like you, I've been combing out my hair after I SOTC, just so I could have enough volume to cover my scalp!

I'll try your SOTC/rake method! Thank you for sharing :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair: Very fine, normal porous (Finally! Yay!), normal elasticity, loves high dew points.
    Daily: Nature's Gate Tea Tree shampoo, GVP CB, Cure Care conditioner, aloe vera gel, Jessicurls products, Spiral Solutions products.
    Monthly: Henna
    As needed: John Masters Organics Sea Mist
    HG Product: BioSilk Rock Hard Gelee (aka BRHG. It even has HG in the name!)
    Last perm: 12/10/10
    CG since: 3/9/12
    Last haircut: 4/17/12
    Gossamer Fringe (my blog)
  • NocurlB4babiesNocurlB4babies Registered Users Posts: 179
    Hi Ladies -
    I do the same thing - after I SOTC, I flip upside down and rub my hair at the root and shake the hair to soften and separate - I don't rake through the ends, but I really move the hair around. I have a lot of hair, but it's very fine and big clumps just don't look the greatest (and I like volume!). This still leaves clumps, but not the larger ones that I get after supersoak & diffusing. This probably won't work for everyone, but I am having good luck with it. I don't have frizz issues, so that may be a factor for some ladies who do.
    2b/3a fine/med-hi density/high porosity (I think)/ highlight-no silicones/sulfates
    Lo-poo - ABBA Gentle Shampoo/ Shea Moisture Curl & Shine
    Conditioner: GVCB (love it!)/ Regis OO
    Leave in
    : As I Am
    Co-Wash: Tresemme or DevaCurl NoPoo
    Stylers: As I Am Curling Jelly/GF Pure Clean/ LALCurl gel - all with BRHG added
    Style: scrunch/ diffuse, then air dry. I don't Have much frizz at all

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file