CurlTalk

Does anyone consistently use only one styling product with success?

Does anyone consistently use only one styling product with success? If so, what is your product of choice? Do you do this all year round?

I am talking about a "styling" product, not counting a Leave-in or oils...I mean gels, gellies, styling cremes, mousse, etc.

I've layered my products for a couple of years and recently decided to try using only one "styling" product since my hair is in better shape. I used to use a leave in, curl cream, gel and a serum on top of all that..I know it sounds like a lot but I didn't actually use a lot of product at one time. It just seemed like i would get that "producty" feeling and wanted a more "natural" look. The last couple of times I washed my hair, I used a leave in conditioner, sealed with oil...and used either curl keeper only...or curls Gel-les'C only with really good results. I was actually very surprised. So it seems I need something that defines and helps a little with frizz, not necessarily a lot of hold. I'm thinking I will revisit FSG again. I was thinking of ordering FSG and MUDD from BB.

So I was wondering if anyone else does this with success? If you do, please share your routines, etc. TIA :).

Comments

• oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users
    Yup! After I use my LI (L'Oreal Humidity Defying Leave-In; it's wonderful) mixed with some argan oil, I've always only used one product. I use TIGI Control Freak, and dear lord is that product amazing. Smells phenomenal and my hair is so soft and frizz free. My hair loves it.
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    Lately I've just been using KCKT (leave-in) followed by KCCC. Great combo - at least in this weather....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    Wonder why you don't consider the leave in a styling product?? Personally, I would consider the leave in and the oil sealant additional layers.

Under your system, I only use one product most of the time. I use minute amounts of richer products. My hair doesn't care for straight oils or butters, so I use a really rich product to seal. When the dew points are lower, I use a leave in AND curl enhancer with a jelly product--either my leave in or curl enhancer are my "sealant." When the dew points get higher, I use a leave in OR a curl enhancer with a jelly product.

Because I use the more natural products, my hair never feels producty once it dries and the products are absorbed.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 09robiha09robiha Posts: 683Registered Users
    I do :) I just use a clear gel and that's it...keeps my curls defined and nice which I all I need
    Mixture of 2c/3a curls, fine to med texture

:love5: PROTEIN LOVER!!! :love5:

Wishing my hair would be more like this
    > :angel13:
    and less like this
    > :evil5:
  • ttlollattlolla Posts: 948Registered Users
    Yes, eco styler gel (blue)

I use it year round , if the humidity is high and due to the glycerine in it I might use castor oil over it to act as a serum .
  • marieantoinettemarieantoinette Posts: 131Registered Users
    When I use only gel with no oil or anything like that my hair looks decent, I just prefer not to use gel alone because if I do my hair feels sort of tangly, almost dry. I don't know if it's the alcohol in many gels that does it, but it bothers me. I wouldn't be upset if I ran out and had to only use gel for a few days, though, so I guess that counts as "success".
    Hair type 2A, fine texture but very very dense (TONS of hair)!
    Products: Suave Naturals coconut co-wash, L'Oreal EverCreme Moisturizing rinse-out
    LA Looks Sports Gel (on the hunt for a better gel!)
  • canadiancurlywurlycanadiancurlywurly Posts: 34Registered Users
    I only use Beyond the Zone Kick up your curls curl cream over my leave in and have consistent results in summer and winter!
    Shampoo: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted
    Conditioner: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted
    Leave in: Beyond the Zone Protein Cocktail
    Curl cream: Beyond the Zone Noodle Head Kick Up Your Curls Cream
    SOTC Product: Argan Oil
    Hair Type:3A/B

Fine
    Hair likes: Coconut Oil and protein, protein, protein
    Not CG just doing what works for me :toothy7:
  • CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Posts: 865Registered Users
    Thank you to all who have responded so far. I'm finding that I don't need a hard holding gel either, which Is great. I have successfully mixed a couple of products in my hand before applying it to my hair, but trying to keep it simple. My hair is doing wonderful with just jelly-type products.
    I have tried combo after combo...found some I liked and some I didn't like so much. When I "seal" with an oil, i use either coconut, EVOO, or EO's serum (no silicones, just oils and EO's), not butters or creams. This has made a tremendous difference in my hair in how it looks when completely dry. This, after a leave in and the one styling product= fantastic results.

I'm really hoping this will continue to work for me. Used some FSG on dry hair yesterday to revive my curls and I LOVE it! Never really had success applying product to dry hair before...other than an occasional spritz.
    :wav:

So far, curl keeper works wonderful by itself....gel-les'C, so-so.....will try just FSG next. I'd like to see what others use as well. :)
  • diasporadiaspora Posts: 596Registered Users
    Glad you have been able to streamline your routine! Though I am experimenting with a LI/gel combo for warmer weather, usually I use one product year round. I don't even use a leave-in with it because it is moisturizing enough-- Alba Botanica Soft Hold Style Cream. I also sometimes use a LI only. I like to keep it as simple as possible. :)
    Formerly Urbancurl.
    Medium-high density, fine-medium, low-normal porosity, 3b/c, permanent color.
    CG, no heat, combs, brushes, parabens.
    Fall/Winter HG=Alba Botanica Soft Hold Style Cream.
    Spring/Summer HG=MGA Sculpting Gel
    Current fave LI=Madre Labs Made by Nature for Baby Conditioner.
    Limit oils, butters, glycerin.
    kathymack wrote: »
    Wonder why you don't consider the leave in a styling product?? Personally, I would consider the leave in and the oil sealant additional layers.

Under your system, I only use one product most of the time. .

I suppose you could count a leave in and/or oils as layers. I just don't consider them "styling" products, just me :). My hair seems to just eat them up :tongue:.
    I'm thrilled that I don't have to use, on top of a leave in and oil....a curl enhancer/cream or jelly, a gel, and a serum. I'm also surprised that curl keeper works by itself, for me!! I will try this next with my other Stylers, CEJ..FHG...AOMM, etc. I love the simplicity of it and that my hair does not feel weighed down. I usually dont get weighed down easily, but it seemed to be what was happening.....maybe that's why decent 2nd day hair was always hard to attain?
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 622Registered Users
    I wish I could only use one product. The fact is that my hair requires lots of moisture. Unfortunately, I cannot get that with one product. It takes a village to raise my hair LOL.

Currently I am using Suave Almond & Shea Butter Conditioner as my leave-in and then seal my hair with Crisco. Yes Crisco ( the Crisco has lots of great natural oils and is giving me great results.) i then use either Queen Helen Curl Cream or LALSG.Since I style at night the next morning after an overnight plop I scrunch about at dollar size amount of Queen Helene and diffuse and stretch my curls.When my hair is relatively dry I SOTC with coconut oil.

So I am a little envious of you 1 product gals!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo
    Co-wash: Suave, Vo5, HE, Aussie Moist
    Deep Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's)
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil.
    Methods: Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,571Registered Users
    I do! I only use Bioterra styling gel. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    I do! I only use Bioterra styling gel. :)

You know, I used to use biotera gel when I first went CG and it worked great. Don't remember why I stopped using it. I will definitely try it again. I liked the scent and you can't beat the price. :)
  • nes223nes223 Posts: 347Registered Users
    My hair is 3a/3b LA looks sport gel. I can get good curl with just a leave in and the gel. That's actually how I did my hair yesterday and I have good second day hair today. If I want my hair to be more on the 3b side I first add SM SMOOTHIE then gel
    -nes
    3a/3b
  • adorame06adorame06 Posts: 572Registered Users
    I have been using my my home made flax seed gel and eco styler ( olive oil one) for a few year and have had great results every day. I don't like to mess with my gels because I have this working for me and I am afraid to mess up how nice my curls look. Before I used this combo I was trying all different stuff and some dried my hair out, while others left me frizzy. I just figure why bother messing with stuff when I have something that works for me.
    CG on 2/16/2010
    My curls looks like the 3a pictures
    Hair length is to my bra strap, it's fine textured, but the density is thick, not much elasticity, Naturally Blonde but Color treated because of graying going on

My hair loves
    coconut oil
    Homemade FSG
    Hair one for my co wash
    Ecostyler olive oil

Princess Brandy Brat, Chief Jewel Crafter and Royal Nanny to the Court of the Red and White Rose for the Order of the Curly Crusaders.
    Yup! After I use my LI (L'Oreal Humidity Defying Leave-In; it's wonderful) mixed with some argan oil, I've always only used one product. I use TIGI Control Freak, and dear lord is that product amazing. Smells phenomenal and my hair is so soft and frizz free. My hair loves it.

Is this the leave in you are talking about?
    How much of the LI and TIGI do you use?
    Do you mean TIGI control freak serum?
    Thanks.
    adorame06 wrote: »
    I have been using my my home made flax seed gel and eco styler ( olive oil one) for a few year and have had great results every day. I don't like to mess with my gels because I have this working for me and I am afraid to mess up how nice my curls look. Before I used this combo I was trying all different stuff and some dried my hair out, while others left me frizzy. I just figure why bother messing with stuff when I have something that works for me.

Do you mix FSG and the ecostyler?
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 460Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've only used gel, for years. I've found that if I try to layer even one other product in there, I don't get the hold I want, or the shine. When I go to have my hair cut, although my hair cutter is wonderful, he does use curl creams on me, which I don't like all that much as the hold is so soft. Looks nice for about a couple hours, but then my hair droops, so curl creams aren't it for my thick and heavy hair. LA Looks all the way - much cheaper and better for me!
  • oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users

Thanks.

I use a fair amount of product because I have very long, very thick hair. With the LI, I use probably five or six quarter-sized pumps. Same with TIGI, maybe a little more, more like seven or eight. My hair loves that stuff! And yeah, I mean the serum... the one that is like, green and sparkly lol. Surprisingly, it is CG!
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    I always use castor oil to seal, a LI and a gel, perhaps a curling cream from time to time, but the brands change. Right now I'm having good luck with As I Am LI and curling jelly. I was using the Biotera LI and gel (love the smell and hold) but my hair has a reaction and dries out with both. The best gel I have put in my hair, reaction wise, is hypoallergenic and also made by Naturelle BUT it has absolutely no hold. If I'm going for a softer look I use it with a curling cream. If they made a stronger version... I would be sold for life.

3a (in 2's right now)
    HP/T/C
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks.

I use a fair amount of product because I have very long, very thick hair. With the LI, I use probably five or six quarter-sized pumps. Same with TIGI, maybe a little more, more like seven or eight. My hair loves that stuff! And yeah, I mean the serum... the one that is like, green and sparkly lol. Surprisingly, it is CG!

Thanks! I'm thinking I may purchase those two products for my DD.
  • adorame06adorame06 Posts: 572Registered Users
    adorame06 wrote: »

Do you mix FSG and the ecostyler?

More like layer it. when I co wash my hair I put the FSG on in the shower with my hair dripping wet. after I get out I take a wide tooth comb and part my hair how I want it then I wait a few minutes and add the eco styler gel, plop my hair and about half an hour to an hour I let it down and go about my day ( my hair is thick so its still damp a bit). My hair is normally not crunchy, but if it is then I scrunch it out at this point. I get lots of friends and family that comment and touch my curls, I am told that its soft and they are surprised by that, the hold I have you would think it would be stiff hair! I also get 3 day hair this way, some mornings I do have to spritz it with the water bottle.
    CG on 2/16/2010
    My curls looks like the 3a pictures
    Hair length is to my bra strap, it's fine textured, but the density is thick, not much elasticity, Naturally Blonde but Color treated because of graying going on

My hair loves
    coconut oil
    Homemade FSG
    Hair one for my co wash
    Ecostyler olive oil

Princess Brandy Brat, Chief Jewel Crafter and Royal Nanny to the Court of the Red and White Rose for the Order of the Curly Crusaders.
  • kimmidawnkimmidawn Posts: 900Registered Users
    Unfortunately because my hair has a weaker wave pattern (2b), I have to use a gel as well as a creamier product underneath. I am able to use BRHG every time I style, but underneath I put either KCCC, Re:Coil, or Noodlehead curl cream.
    2b, fine texture, normal porosity & elasticity (CG as of 12/2011)

Low-poo: UFD Rich & Funky
    Cowash: VO5 Kiwi Lime
    RO: Tresemme Naturals, Aubrey Organics GPB, Ion Effective Care, MillCreek Keratin
    PT/DT: IAgirl's PT, GVP CB
    LI: KCKT, Cure Care, CJ CCCC Lite
    Styling: Curl Keeper, As I Am Jelly, UFD Curly Magic, CJ Curl Queen, TIGI Strong Hold Mousse

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fkdawn12%2F" class="Popup

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^^ day 1 of going CG; avatar = 6 months later
  • memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    It depends on your definition. I generally use a leave in (mostly Curly Kinks Satin Roots these days) and a jelly product....most of the more natural jelly products work fine for me but my favorites are KCCC, Curly Kinks Coil Jam and Spiral Solutions CEJ.
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
    I've tried using biotera gel alone and got great results as well. FSG works nicely too. Now I'm going to test a few other products by themselves. I'm really liking the simplicity of just one styler. :toothy10:
    Been getting fantastic results with either BB's FSG, Mudd, or TruePolaris FSG (etsy)!!!! I'm so thrilled I don't need to layer on several products. All I use is a leave in (a variety), seal with a little oil.smother my hair with either the Mudd or FSG...end results are Fabulous!!!! I'm beyond thrilled!!!
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,332Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Pantene curls mousse.
  • geekmomgeekmom Posts: 22Registered Users
    I tried just using eco styler Krystal today. Probably won't be trying that solo again. LOL
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,238Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I've used the same products and routine nearly every day for the last 8+ years.

Condition wash with Sauve/VO5 conditioner, rinse.
    Add walnut size blob of LA Looks Sport Gel to soaking wet hair, squeeze and scrunch. Plop in turban towel while I put on my face.
    Take out of towel, scrunch, let air dry while I eat breakfast, read paper, etc. Diffuse dry for a few minutes. Scrunch. Done.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • ChocolateCurlzzChocolateCurlzz Posts: 30Registered Users
    for the past few years -- until 3 days ago... i was using La Bella (any color, blue, green clear).. worked well for me when i WANTEd to dry my hair.

Now i use LA looks Neutra Curl. not too much crunch :)