Recommendations for conditioner and other products please!

cinimonstkcinimonstk Registered Users Posts: 35
Hi All! I decided I want to take better care of my hair but need to do it on a budget. I have the CG book somewhere in storage so I guess it's time to get the new one! I think I've been doing some right things but not enough. I am currently using a tresseme shampoo and about to run out so it's a good time to change up my routine.

A little about me and my lovely locks. I have 2c/3a hair, a little past my shoulders. It is dyed, which I will continue to do since I'm at the age where little greys start popping up. I blowdry it every day with and without a diffuser. I shampoo daily and use Hair One as a leave in. I had used Hair One exclusively for a while but didn't like the way it made my hair feel. So what low poos or conditioners do you all recommend? Curl creams or gels? Any home treatments I should add?

If the pic attached right, this is a pic of my hair. I tend to straighten it a little on top and diffuse the rest. Sometimes it's curly and defined, other days it's flat and wavy. Drives me batty! c6e4de09-4b94-f8bd.jpg
Getting to know my hair!

2c/3a, Med/high porosity, Fine hair, Still trying to figure out elasticity, Colored

Products I am auditioning:
Co-wash & LI: Suave Nat. Trop Coco
Low Poo: Pure Elements Sulfate-Free Color Protect Shampoo
Stylers: Biotera Curl Creme, Argan Oil, Aussie Sydney Smooth Gel, AIF
PT: GVP Kpak
DT: PE Intensive Repair

Comments

• JRockJRock Registered Users Posts: 170
    Hi cinimonstk,

I have 3a hair with some 2c and some wonky straight pieces here and there LOL. The most important thing to figure out is your hair properties (Texture, Porosity, Density, Elasticity) and then choose the hair products which fit into those categories. Even though we may have the same curl pattern, 2c/3a, I have fine hair, low porosity, thin density and low elasticity. So I use products with lots (and lots) of protein. However if your hair is course or thicker, the products I use may not be as rich or thick as your hair requires.

When I first started, a lot of curlies recommended LiveCurlyLiveFree.com. It has oodles of information on hair properties, as well as dew points and other information. It was extremely helpful. Once you figure out your properties, a good place to find products is in the other curlies signatures. It's helped me immensely. The best advice & most important thing to remember is before starting CG, do one last sulfate wash. Make sure your poo is silicone free. I failed to do this and my hair hated CG. Once I restarted doing the silicone free sulfate wash, it was magic!

My hair loves protein and I use a lot of it. I do weekly PT's (protein treatments) with Joico K-Pak or IAGirl's homemade PT, which is awesome! But, I also have dry scalp so I use a low poo with tea tree oil, Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat (GTTTT) along with weekly brown sugar scrubs and coconut oil treatments to aid with those issues.

I'm still experimenting with lots of products. I like the Giovanni Direct Leave In as well as Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha. I also use Curl Junkie Daily Fix between my low poo's.

I hope this helps you! Good luck!

Fat Thumbs + iPhone = Errors 
  • cinimonstkcinimonstk Registered Users Posts: 35
    Thanks Jrock! I have been pouring over posts and reading the sigs, which has totally helped! I've been neglecting my hair for a while and now that it's getting longer I want to take care of it. I need to figure out the porosity, elasticity etc, there is a lot of science to caring for curly hair!

Today I decided not to wash my hair, which is a complete departure from my daily wash routine, and I liked it. Just wet it down and dried as usual and it was much more curly. I'm going to finish out my shampoo, get in the last sulfate wash and find a good sulfate free poo or just cowash. I'll see what my hair likes.
    Getting to know my hair!

2c/3a, Med/high porosity, Fine hair, Still trying to figure out elasticity, Colored

Products I am auditioning:
    Co-wash & LI: Suave Nat. Trop Coco
    Low Poo: Pure Elements Sulfate-Free Color Protect Shampoo
    Stylers: Biotera Curl Creme, Argan Oil, Aussie Sydney Smooth Gel, AIF
    PT: GVP Kpak
    DT: PE Intensive Repair
  • JRockJRock Registered Users Posts: 170
    Awesome! I'm glad you liked not washing. Between my washes I spray watered down conditioner and restyle. Sometimes I need more product, sometimes I don't. It takes awhile to figure everything out.

Another helpful place is the newbies forum. Start with the stickies at the top. There's so many great threads in each of the stickies with so many tips, techniques, products, etc. It's a lot of reading but it's worth it.

Fat Thumbs + iPhone = Errors 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file