CurlTalk

Whey Protein shakes

LISA LISALISA LISA Posts: 566Registered Users
Here is a good article:
Whey Protein For Follicles | LIVESTRONG.COM

I personally swear by this - I drink two whey protein shakes a day & my hair grows more than half an inch per month. It's so good for your whole body too.
Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981

Comments

• FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    this is a good idea, ive been thinking bout it, cause my hair is protein sensitive so i cant put it in my hair, maybe drinking it will help?

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • LISA LISALISA LISA Posts: 566Registered Users
    March 25th measure in = 33 inches.
    April 27th measure in = 34 inches! :blob3:

I gained an entire inch last month. I attribute it to the whey protein shake I drink consistently five times per week (M-F).
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    woow that is great! im protein sensitive so that might be a great idea for me to strengthen my hair and get the protein in it.

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • JamieLeighJamieLeigh Posts: 8Registered Users
    I drink a whey protein shake each morning, doctor's orders, and I also get a LOT of growth. I just cut back from knee length to tailbone+ length in January, and I'm already past the butt again 5 months later. With microtrims. We were discussing this on another forum (specifically for the care of long hair), and came to the conclusion that these shakes really do seem to make your hair grow faster.

How do you guys like the flavour, though? I find myself having to be pretty creative with using fresh berries and flax seeds to be able to make them drinkable EVERY. SINGLE. MORNING. :laughing6:
    Hair type: 2a-2b/ m/ iii
    (s-waves with ringlets/ medium coarseness, normal porosity/ 4" ponytail circ.)
    Length: upper-thigh (44"+)
    Oils: coconut or cocoveda - pre-wash, dry
    argan or camellia - post-wash, damp
    extra-virgin olive - deep-moisture treatment, dry
    Products: Suave Naturals tropical coconut conditioner
    Aussie Moist conditioner
    Aussie 3 Minute Miracle deep treatment
    Sweet Creek Herbs rosemary-mint shampoo bar
  • jesisi67jesisi67 Posts: 35Registered Users
    Good! This makes me happy! I love drinking whey protein shakes after working out! If they are good for protein sensitives than even better!!
    3b/3a/2c, Fine Texture, medium Density
    low/normal porosity, normal elasticity
    CG since 8/1/10!
    CU: DC No Poo Cleanser, One Condition, ArcAngel, Set it Free
    DT: Heaven in Hair (almost out), Nexxus Emergencee twice a month
    Blog: DirtCheapBeauty
  • LISA LISALISA LISA Posts: 566Registered Users
    JamieLeigh wrote: »
    How do you guys like the flavour, though? :laughing6:

I think they're downright yucky - I have to mix them with OJ and "Fear Factor" them down - then chase with more OJ! So worth the pain though! :laughing4:
  • LilyaLilya Posts: 47Registered Users
    Oh, they are good for hair growth? :) I drink one of those whey packets after some soccer workouts to gain weight (does anyone know a good healthy way to gain more muscle weight, btw?). I find them kind of expensive compared to other drink mixes, but not too bad.

The taste is pretty awful though. I just try to convince myself that they actually do taste like berries. :laughing9:

I guess I will continue drinking them, and when I can't afford them...eat broccoli?
    Dense but fine and delicate 3a hair. Feels like a dandelion without product. Difficulties in getting less puff and more definition when short.

On a mission to grow out after my big chop! :cat:
  • lolas4bkinkylolas4bkinky Posts: 44Registered Users
    Wow I have a whey protein mass gainer but I bought it to gain weight. Unfortunately I don't even drink it because it's so nasty. But I guess I have to work around that since it would help me gain an extra 1/2 inch of hair.

I have a Strawberry Banana powder anyone know how I can make that tasty?
  • bleuyteuybleuyteuy Posts: 273Registered Users
    @LISA LISA
    Thank you for sharing this with us. I read that article and I'm totally sold. I'm buying some tomorrow along with the rest of the vitamins I need to purchase. What brand do you buy? I saw it at walmart, they have chocolate flavor. I hate eating/drinking nasty stuff but I want classic or fairytail hair so I'll figure it out (plus I always wanted to see if I had the guts to do something from fear factor).
  • lovely_eirenelovely_eirene Posts: 48Registered Users
    I'm gonna buy some of this later today (not just for growth, but because it looks like it'll make a quick and easy breakfast)! I used it before years ago, but I'm with you on the taste - no matter what brand I bought, the taste was vile. It probably goes without saying, but it helps a lot if you mix it in milk or juice rather than water!
    Fine 3c type, loves protein. BS length when straight, aiming for BS length when curly!
  • MrsBacheminMrsBachemin Posts: 128Registered Users
    I buy vanilla flavor and mix it in a blender with juice, a few ice cubes, a banana, some strawberries, and any other berries I might have handy. It's always delicious! I don't know if I can drink 2 a day, but I'll definitely start drinking one big one daily if it'll help me get past shoulder length curly!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App
    I buy vanilla flavor and mix it in a blender with juice, a few ice cubes, a banana, some strawberries, and any other berries I might have handy. It's always delicious! I don't know if I can drink 2 a day, but I'll definitely start drinking one big one daily if it'll help me get past shoulder length curly!

Thanks for the tip!
  • LilyaLilya Posts: 47Registered Users
    After my soccer practice this morning, I held my nose and gulped some down. :tongue7: I could still taste the berry flavor, but the bitter ick was gone. It's an old trick and a little uncomfortable, but for me, it is a lot better than feeling like I want to hurl what I pour down my throat!
    Dense but fine and delicate 3a hair. Feels like a dandelion without product. Difficulties in getting less puff and more definition when short.

On a mission to grow out after my big chop! :cat:
  • MrsBacheminMrsBachemin Posts: 128Registered Users
    This morning I mixed my protein in a full glass of milk and added some strawberry syrup. It tasted like a strawberry milkshake! Delicious!

• IndigoBansheeIndigoBanshee Posts: 6Registered Users
    Whey does a nasty number on my stomach. I'm not sure what it is about it that upsets me. Do you think it would work with rice protein shakes? I usually use Life Basics Pea, Rice, Hemp, and Chia Seed powder.

I don't mind the taste of protein shakes, but to make it even healthier, usually I put in a handful of spinach, half a banana, some berries, and a few drops of stevia.
    2b/2c short fine, porous former redhead, now grey/dyed
    Sulfate/sulfite allergic
    One 'n Only Argan Shampoo
    Suave Strawberry Conditioner
    Trying Garnier Fructis Naturals Cream
  • KilajoKilajo Posts: 786Registered Users
    Whey does a nasty number on my stomach. I'm not sure what it is about it that upsets me. Do you think it would work with rice protein shakes? I usually use Life Basics Pea, Rice, Hemp, and Chia Seed powder.

I don't mind the taste of protein shakes, but to make it even healthier, usually I put in a handful of spinach, half a banana, some berries, and a few drops of stevia.

Is it possible you are intolerant or allergic to dairy?

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
    Possible, yes. But other things don't affect me like that. From what I've read about whey, some people do have problems with it that aren't dairy-related. Some think it's related to the high level of magnesium in whey.
    Sulfate/sulfite allergic

That's just how Whey Protein is. When trying to find a decent protein shake I looked in several mass gaining and body building forums for men and women and virtually everyone had issues with the gassy feeling no matter the product they used.
  • lovely_eirenelovely_eirene Posts: 48Registered Users
    I finally started drinking mine this morning! I bought this Body Fit Smoothie...

Body Fit Whey Protein Smoothie | Holland and Barrett

To my surprise, it actually has fruit pieces in the powder! I was a little concerned about the sugar content (9.5g per 45g serving!), but since I don't eat sweet stuff other than fruit, I'm letting that slide. It actually tastes good with only milk! It's maybe even a bit too sweet for me. Still, can't wait to see what it does for my hair :D
    Fine 3c type, loves protein. BS length when straight, aiming for BS length when curly!
    I think I'm going to stick with the vegan protein powder and see if it makes a difference. The protein content is a little less, but not a lot. I'd rather feel good than be uncomfortable all day.
    Sulfate/sulfite allergic
  • Mmyy23alxoMmyy23alxo Posts: 11Registered Users
    I drink Lean Protein Shakes. It's called Lean Shake 25 for 25 grams of protein and it has LOTS of vitamins in it. You can get it at GNC. I love it. I get the chocolate flavor. It's disgusting with water so I put in 1% milk to just a regular size glass. It really doesn't add much fat at all and it makes it easier to take every day. Also, a blender bottle is really helpful to get to make sure the powder gets mixed in really well. My brother uses Whey Protein after his workouts to speed up his recovery time and build more muscle mass. I think it's more beneficial for guys. I would use it but I just wish it had more vitamins in it.

Hmmm...my hubby drinks whey protein after his workouts too (chocolate flavor). Didn't realize it could help with hair growth. But it always smells so disgusting (yuck). I'd probably have to doctor it up so much to be able to drink it, that it would lose any nutritional value. But might be worth a try. And if I could just get my butt moving with some exercise too...

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
    fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate
    My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 12/29/2011 :laughing6:
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    jsuzkelley wrote: »
    Hmmm...my hubby drinks whey protein after his workouts too (chocolate flavor). Didn't realize it could help with hair growth. But it always smells so disgusting (yuck). I'd probably have to doctor it up so much to be able to drink it, that it would lose any nutritional value. But might be worth a try. And if I could just get my butt moving with some exercise too...

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

I drink protein shakes because of my intense workout schedule. I found one at GNC that is almost all protein (almost no fat or carbs) and tastes pretty good mixed with just water- and mixed with milk tastes like dessert. Good protein shakes do exist- it's just a matter of finding them.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    I have a Strawberry Banana powder and when I mix it with OJ and some strawberries the taste is heavenly!
  • cinimonstkcinimonstk Posts: 35Registered Users
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    I drink protein shakes because of my intense workout schedule. I found one at GNC that is almost all protein (almost no fat or carbs) and tastes pretty good mixed with just water- and mixed with milk tastes like dessert. Good protein shakes do exist- it's just a matter of finding them.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

what brand is it? Hubby & I just started working out to build muscle and lose fat and have considered a post workout protein shake. With the added bonus of hair growth I am SOLD! I want to go get some soon but am lost and don't know which one to buy. A friend who is training to be a personal trainer suggested almond milk instead of regular milk. I hate milk!
    Getting to know my hair!

2c/3a, Med/high porosity, Fine hair, Still trying to figure out elasticity, Colored

Products I am auditioning:
    Co-wash & LI: Suave Nat. Trop Coco
    Low Poo: Pure Elements Sulfate-Free Color Protect Shampoo
    Stylers: Biotera Curl Creme, Argan Oil, Aussie Sydney Smooth Gel, AIF
    PT: GVP Kpak
    DT: PE Intensive Repair
  • WumiWumi Posts: 185Registered Users
    Protein shakes definitely work, for me at least. My hair grows average pace, but I started drinking protein smoothies recently, and I have noticed the change. My nails grow a lot faster and stronger, and my hair has sped up in growth too.

I can see newer waves at my roots at a faster rate than I'm used to, and It definitely looks longer than I would have expected it to be. I used to do the length pictures and even measure inches but I wish I had.

The only thing with protein shakes is that if you are not active and working out you will gain weight. I gained some weight in my thighs because I started slacking while I was stil having the shakes. I would never want to be walking around with cute hair and an ugly body, so now I have the shakes only before or after I workout.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No heat since August 2015 :)
  • anonymous_103081anonymous_103081 Posts: 492Registered Users
    I also drink shakes, one in the morning before work and usually a second one after my workout at night. I was using Five Star or something like that previously and it did a number on my stomach, so I switched to EAS and haven't had any issues. I use the vanilla and make smoothies and it actually tastes good.
    25", hennahead, CO, goal: hip
  • kurlygurlykurlygurly Posts: 644Registered Users
    Hmmm, I'm a Fitness buff and am actually gulping down a protein shake as I post.....I never really notice any difference. The one thing i can contribute to growth/length is LEAVING THE HAIR ALONE! Little manipulation and cleanliness.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    3b-ish... normal to low porosity....med. texture
    Wash: Desert Essence Coconut shampoo, Acure argon shampoo
    Deep Trestment: Nature's Nectars deep conditioner/styler
    Condition: Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Nature's Gate pomegranate sunflower
    LEAVE-IN:Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower
    STYLE: Nature's Nectars Sweet Shea butter blend, Ecostyler gel
    hemp oil, jojoba oil
    www.naturesnectars.net
  • mtevelynmtevelyn Posts: 1Registered Users
    Wumi wrote: »
    Protein shakes definitely work, for me at least. My hair grows average pace, but I started drinking protein smoothies recently, and I have noticed the change. My nails grow a lot faster and stronger, and my hair has sped up in growth too.

I can see newer waves at my roots at a faster rate than I'm used to, and It definitely looks longer than I would have expected it to be. I used to do the length pictures and even measure inches but I wish I had.

The only thing with protein shakes is that if you are not active and working out you will gain weight. I gained some weight in my thighs because I started slacking while I was stil having the shakes. I would never want to be walking around with cute hair and an ugly body, so now I have the shakes only before or after I workout.

I agree with Wumi, protein shakes have been good for me also. I was put onto a protein shake called Help Hair whey protein concentrate by a colleague of mine. I must admit the texture of my hair started to feel better within a few weeks and also noticed I wasn't dropping / losing as much hair and leaving it all over the bathroom floor!
  • LoveLongCurlsLoveLongCurls Posts: 53Registered Users
    Hmm I was drinking whey protein for my diet 2 months ago... I still have the 2lb. jar maybe I'll start using it again for my hair (assuming my brother has used it all yet!!) Lol
    3B, Thick, High Porosity, High Density
    Length: Waist Length curly
    Goal: Hip length curly/Classic length straight
    Beginning of hair journey: Sept. 27th, 2012 :)

Shampoo: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Shampoo
    Conditioner: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Cowash