CurlTalk

Trayvon Martin coverage: Republicans, many whites say 'enough'

BlackbanjogirlBlackbanjogirl BannedPosts: 227Banned Users
Trayvon Martin coverage: Republicans, many whites say 'enough' - Wire Teens - The Sacramento Bee

Poll: Trayvon Martin case split by race - Darius Dixon - POLITICO.com

Please click on this link to read more about race and the Trayvon Martin case. Find out what you can do in your area if you want to stand up for justice for Trayvon: Occupy The Hood | Blackstonian | Blackstonian.com
"Your plan will have new or expanded coverage for the following services, drugs, and supplies for women, which will be paid 100% (note: by whom, is the question) when you visit a network provider:

-Prescription contraceptives and counseling for women
-Counseling for sexually transmitted infections
-Permanent surgical contraception (sterilization)"
--Quoted from my Anthem insurance letter, October 25, 2012

Obama - for a woman's right to sterilize (esp when it becomes mandatory)!
«13456718

Comments

  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users
    I think it's getting to that point where they've covered it enough. People get shot everyday, maybe because of racial reasons, maybe not, and they sure as hell don't make the news.

    I was listening to CNN earlier and they were talking about how after the shooting Zimmerman had multiple injuries and grass stains on his pants, suggesting that it was self-defense. I haven't followed the case extensively and as obsessively has most, so the jury's out for me.
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users
    i am convinced that anyone who thinks or feels there is something to understand or learn about this case thinks with an entirely different brain than the one that is in my head. only a racist human being, imo, can possibly feel there is any reason under the sun that zimmerman was justified in shooting trayvon martin. only someone that thinks black people deserve to die, can ever think that zimmerman had reason to kill trayvon martin. i don't want to know or speak to any human that thinks there is some evidence somewhere that justifies zimmerman killing a boy who was minding his own business walking home from 7-11 with skittles and iced tea in his hand.
    i am infuriated by anyone who can actually contrive in their mind a scene where a young man who is being followed by a stranger, does not have the right to defend himself when being confronted.
    i am lost, completely, by the lack of sensitivity that so many whites hold for black youth.
    i have no desire, to argue or know anyone's opinions about this case other than to see justice carried out and zimmerman put in jail.
    it's appalling to me, that some people listen to those tapes and cannot hear the screams of young man, but instead imagine they hear a fat ass grown man yelling for his life, when in fact he was carrying a loaded weapon in his hand and had nothing to fear.

    i swear, it makes me want to leave this country.
    is racism that strong???
    is it???
  • BlackbanjogirlBlackbanjogirl Banned Posts: 227Banned Users
    I haven't heard anyone say they are tired of the coverage so that surprised me. I'd understand more if there were other big things going on like the start of a war or big political news. I don't know why anyone wouldn't be interested though yeah it's not the typical pretty rich white female victim story that usually gets all the attention. So maybe I shouldn't be surprised. It's all just getting started now though, the arrest and preparing for trial.
    "Your plan will have new or expanded coverage for the following services, drugs, and supplies for women, which will be paid 100% (note: by whom, is the question) when you visit a network provider:

    -Prescription contraceptives and counseling for women
    -Counseling for sexually transmitted infections
    -Permanent surgical contraception (sterilization)"
    --Quoted from my Anthem insurance letter, October 25, 2012

    Obama - for a woman's right to sterilize (esp when it becomes mandatory)!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    frau wrote: »
    i swear, it makes me want to leave this country.
    is racism that strong???
    is it???


    Yes. It really is. You read the comment by our own (in)famous WileE, saying: "mark her words" she thinks it will be shown that Trayvon was a "thug". You don't have to look to the country for racism. Racism is right here with you on this board, every day.

    Linky

    I continue to be so appalled by WileE's post on the subject, I may just put it in my siggy, so it doesn't get forgotten.
  • PRINCETONPRINCETON Posts: 872Registered Users
    I have to agree with this statement below. The audacity of any civilized grown-up to not seek justice for another innocent human death is appalling to say the least.

    When wrong is done to any innocent young person it is only a cold hearted, lonely, and insecure person who would side with Zimmerman.

    Nobody is perfect but dead wrong is dead wrong. You don't do people wrong and expect to get away with it.

    But, I'm glad some of us got to realize the types of people that still exist and there are still too many racist people mingling among the best of us.

    PRINCETON
    frau wrote: »
    i am convinced that anyone who thinks or feels there is something to understand or learn about this case thinks with an entirely different brain than the one that is in my head. only a racist human being, imo, can possibly feel there is any reason under the sun that zimmerman was justified in shooting trayvon martin. only someone that thinks black people deserve to die, can ever think that zimmerman had reason to kill trayvon martin. i don't want to know or speak to any human that thinks there is some evidence somewhere that justifies zimmerman killing a boy who was minding his own business walking home from 7-11 with skittles and iced tea in his hand.
    i am infuriated by anyone who can actually contrive in their mind a scene where a young man who is being followed by a stranger, does not have the right to defend himself when being confronted.
    i am lost, completely, by the lack of sensitivity that so many whites hold for black youth.
    i have no desire, to argue or know anyone's opinions about this case other than to see justice carried out and zimmerman put in jail.
    it's appalling to me, that some people listen to those tapes and cannot hear the screams of young man, but instead imagine they hear a fat ass grown man yelling for his life, when in fact he was carrying a loaded weapon in his hand and had nothing to fear.

    i swear, it makes me want to leave this country.
    is racism that strong???
    is it???
  • SpringcurlSpringcurl Posts: 8,002Registered Users
    frau wrote: »
    i swear, it makes me want to leave this country.
    is racism that strong???
    is it???


    Yes. It really is. You read the comment by our own (in)famous WileE, saying: "mark her words" she thinks it will be shown that Trayvon was a "thug". You don't have to look to the country for racism. Racism is right here with you on this board, every day.

    Linky

    I continue to be so appalled by WileE's post on the subject, I may just put it in my siggy, so it doesn't get forgotten.
    I won't ever forget it, but I'd love it as your siggy so that everyone else remembers, too. It was such a nasty and uncalled for comment.

    I also agree with Frau. It's really distressing to read the backlash out there about this case. Like, jaw-droppingly make me want to cry distressing.




    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    TWINKLES.gifTWINKLES.gifTWINKLES.gif

    Obamacare is not a blueprint for socialism. You're thinking of the New Testament. ~~ John Fugelsang



  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    You know how people always say there is nothing worse than losing a child? It turns out there is. You can lose your child to a murderer and then have to wait over a month -- what was it, six weeks? -- for an obvious suspect to be arrested, all courtesy of our racist society.

    I listened to the audio of Trayvon's mother today and it broke my heart. The things her family has had to go through, on top of every parent's worst nightmare.

    Racism is alive and well. And I am so disgusted with Wile and others like her I could scream.

    The whites who want to move on are the same asshats who whine about PC-ism and people "playing the race card." They can go **** themselves. I don't personally have any friends of any race who think like this. My friends are as appalled as I am by the whole thing.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Whites need to call out other whites more often on their racist bull*****.
  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users
    frau wrote: »
    i swear, it makes me want to leave this country.
    is racism that strong???
    is it???


    Yes. It really is. You read the comment by our own (in)famous WileE, saying: "mark her words" she thinks it will be shown that Trayvon was a "thug". You don't have to look to the country for racism. Racism is right here with you on this board, every day.

    Linky

    I continue to be so appalled by WileE's post on the subject, I may just put it in my siggy, so it doesn't get forgotten.

    I will never understand a person's needs to ostracize someone on a community forum... unless it's Hitler, I think it's uncalled for.


    Maybe I'm on the wrong thread.
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    I have to say I feel a lot better now that he's been arrested. That's pretty much what was being requested. Here in Baltimore recently (day after St. Patrick's Day, so a Sunday morning) a gang of kids out at 2 am (they look like kids to me) attacked, robbed, and stripped naked a white man who was somehow incapacitated (not sure, he had the blankest stare on his face, and could not defend himself....he was incapacitated in some way, maybe drunk or high or both; almost thought he had some sort of mental challenge). They VIDEO TAPED IT and posted it on the internet. As far as I'm concerned they need to be arrested and (in my opinion) need to be in jail for a very long time as well. The guy did not die, but he was humiliated on top of all they did to him.

    An arrest is at the minimum what the criminal justice system owes both the guy here in Baltimore and Martin and his family. The police are in the process of identifying and arresting the people who beat that guy up. What I don't understand is why it took so long to arrest a guy who according to an audio recording willfully approached an unarmed person with a gun and shot him dead.

    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

    4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    RCW, unless you have WileE's specific permission to use her quote in your sig line, I have to ask you to remove it.
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with frau. And I don't feel better now that he is arrested because I know people are still talking and siding with Zimmerman. And I read yesterday that Neo Nazi groups were forming to go to Florida to 'protect the white people'. Sigh. Its scary.

    What reason did this man have for following the boy? none - He said to the 911 dispatcher 'these a%+ holes always get away with everything' - he never identified himself as a neighborhood watch, or approached Trayvon civilly, - what reason did he have for following him? None.

    my mom was talking to a woman at work, who is married to a black man, and she said, I don't believe race had anything to do with it, I think it was just stereotyping. What?? What's the difference here? If youre stereotyping a young man walking around late night, youre obviously considering the fact that he's black too.

    Another person said 'what's a 17 year old doing out at 11 at night?' - again I say, what?? This is still America, right?



    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    SuZenGuide wrote: »
    RCW, unless you have WileE's specific permission to use her quote in your sig line, I have to ask you to remove it.
    That's a rule here?
    Eres o te haces?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    legends wrote: »
    SuZenGuide wrote: »
    RCW, unless you have WileE's specific permission to use her quote in your sig line, I have to ask you to remove it.
    That's a rule here?

    That's just plain courtesy and respect. Using a sig line to shame another member is pretty poor behavior.
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    SuZenGuide wrote: »
    legends wrote: »
    SuZenGuide wrote: »
    RCW, unless you have WileE's specific permission to use her quote in your sig line, I have to ask you to remove it.
    That's a rule here?

    That's just plain courtesy and respect. Using a sig line to shame another member is pretty poor behavior.
    But it's a direct quote. She's not making something up to shame anyone, she's simply copying and pasting what someone else posted.

    I'm a little concerned that you, as a guide, will tell a poster what to do with her sig line when it doesn't violate the rules of this site. I can buy the argument the RCW posts on the subject violated forum rules, but not her sig.
    Eres o te haces?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    To me it falls into the category of excessive rudeness to another member. This is not the first instance.
  • SpringcurlSpringcurl Posts: 8,002Registered Users
    legends wrote: »
    SuZenGuide wrote: »
    legends wrote: »
    That's a rule here?

    That's just plain courtesy and respect. Using a sig line to shame another member is pretty poor behavior.
    But it's a direct quote. She's not making something up to shame anyone, she's simply copying and pasting what someone else posted.

    I'm a little concerned that you, as a guide, will tell a poster what to do with her sig line when it doesn't violate the rules of this site. I can buy the argument the RCW posts on the subject violated forum rules, but not her sig.

    I don't really get it either. I've seen many signatures that include quotes from other posters. And it WAS a direct quote so I'm not really sure what's rude about showing what she actually said.

    Their board; their rules, I guess.



    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    TWINKLES.gifTWINKLES.gifTWINKLES.gif

    Obamacare is not a blueprint for socialism. You're thinking of the New Testament. ~~ John Fugelsang



  • KilajoKilajo Posts: 786Registered Users
    Wow... So it's ok to make the horrible comment but not ok for someone to use in their sig. I see how it works around here...

    Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I am surprised that anyone here fails to understand that it is acceptable to express an opinion, including an unpopular one. But for another member to post that comment reapeatedly for the purpose of provoking ongoing ridicule and hostility from members who disagree is not acceptable. It's nothing but pot-stirring.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    SuZenGuide wrote: »
    RCW, unless you have WileE's specific permission to use her quote in your sig line, I have to ask you to remove it.

    Huh? People quote other posters all the time without their permission. One of mine has been used for years by a poster here and I never gave permission.

    eta: now I think of it I think it is a quote about me, not by me - whatever, I'm not concerned about what it says, but the point is that RCW is not the first instance of this and I don't recall it EVER being an issue.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    SuZenGuide wrote: »
    I am surprised that anyone here fails to understand that it is acceptable to express an opinion, including an unpopular one. But for another member to post that comment reapeatedly for the purpose of provoking ongoing ridicule and hostility from members who disagree is not acceptable. It's nothing but pot-stirring.

    So is everyone here being asked to edit their sigs to take out unauthorized quotes from, to, or about other members, or just this poster and this quote?
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Most quotes in sig lines are not controversial. Most are used because someone finds them funny or educational. This is not one of those cases.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    SuZenGuide wrote: »
    Most quotes in sig lines are not controversial. Most are used because someone finds them funny or educational. This is not one of those cases.

    SuZen, I beg to differ - I have seen more than one that is controversial. The one I've seen involving me is certainly controversial and came from a very heated and personal thread. So again, is there actually a board rule that you can't do that?

    eta: I don't know if she has it any more because she has an anti-Rick Santorum sig line now, but, just as an example that comes to mind, Eilonwy for a long time had some comment another poster made on the subject of religion that was bigoted, and therefore controversial. (And I'm not saying I have a problem with that - I'm concerned about consistency.)
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    Tensions are running very high right now ---- I know I'm pretty upset --- and adding fuel to the fire by quoting what was obviously an ill-considered remark isn't going to help.

    I have not spoken with Wile about this; it's simply my opinion.

    I don't often agree with SuZen, but I do in this case.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    SaraNoH wrote: »
    I think it's getting to that point where they've covered it enough. People get shot everyday, maybe because of racial reasons, maybe not, and they sure as hell don't make the news.

    I was listening to CNN earlier and they were talking about how after the shooting Zimmerman had multiple injuries and grass stains on his pants, suggesting that it was self-defense. I haven't followed the case extensively and as obsessively has most, so the jury's out for me.

    Yeah, but generally when people are caught shooting other people with strong evidence against them, the police don't help them walk, for racial reasons.

    You could get grass stains and "multiple injuries" from throwing yourself on the ground in regret/panic after shooting someone, or by doing them to yourself to create a defence.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    Amneris wrote: »
    SuZenGuide wrote: »
    Most quotes in sig lines are not controversial. Most are used because someone finds them funny or educational. This is not one of those cases.

    SuZen, I beg to differ - I have seen more than one that is controversial. The one I've seen involving me is certainly controversial and came from a very heated and personal thread. So again, is there actually a board rule that you can't do that?

    eta: I don't know if she has it any more because she has an anti-Rick Santorum sig line now, but, just as an example that comes to mind, Eilonwy for a long time had some comment another poster made on the subject of religion that was bigoted, and therefore controversial. (And I'm not saying I have a problem with that - I'm concerned about consistency.)

    I see your point, but I don't think all of us on the site were as "het up" about Santorum as we are about this.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Tensions are running very high right now ---- I know I'm pretty upset --- and adding fuel to the fire by quoting what was obviously an ill-considered remark isn't going to help.

    I have not spoken with Wile about this; it's simply my opinion.

    I don't often agree with SuZen, but I do in this case.

    I would perhaps agree with you if I'd seen any remorse or apology for making the remark. Instead I saw it made again in another thread.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    If it's a rule, it should be listed in the board rules and enforced consistently.

    Right now that it not the case.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Amneris wrote: »
    SuZenGuide wrote: »
    Most quotes in sig lines are not controversial. Most are used because someone finds them funny or educational. This is not one of those cases.

    SuZen, I beg to differ - I have seen more than one that is controversial. The one I've seen involving me is certainly controversial and came from a very heated and personal thread. So again, is there actually a board rule that you can't do that?

    eta: I don't know if she has it any more because she has an anti-Rick Santorum sig line now, but, just as an example that comes to mind, Eilonwy for a long time had some comment another poster made on the subject of religion that was bigoted, and therefore controversial. (And I'm not saying I have a problem with that - I'm concerned about consistency.)

    I see your point, but I don't think all of us on the site were as "het up" about Santorum as we are about this.

    The quote wasn't about Santorum - she has Santorum now. I think the quote was about people who don't accept Christ, or something. People have certainly been EXTREMELY het up in the religion debates here, and I recall that that one was.

    Are people particularly het up now? Isn't this just a typical "race" conversation on NC? I have seen far, far worse on here, unfortunately.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    Amneris wrote: »
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Tensions are running very high right now ---- I know I'm pretty upset --- and adding fuel to the fire by quoting what was obviously an ill-considered remark isn't going to help.

    I have not spoken with Wile about this; it's simply my opinion.

    I don't often agree with SuZen, but I do in this case.

    I would perhaps agree with you if I'd seen any remorse or apology for making the remark. Instead I saw it made again in another thread.

    Oh dear. By Wile?

    (shakes head)
«13456718
This discussion has been closed.