CurlTalk

Spinoff: what kind of home decor can you not stand??

shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
I don't like pastelly Southwest, floral, or when people decorate with wolf stuff or dolphin stuff.
A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey

Comments

• slinky1slinky1 Banned Posts: 1,612Banned Users
    That new modern style that is everywhere...Pier One, Crate & Barrel.

I like the traditional style that came in the late 90s.
    ;)
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    shelli wrote:
    I don't like pastelly Southwest, floral, or when people decorate with wolf stuff or dolphin stuff.

Pretty much. I will go so far as to say I hate the whole theme that always seems to surround a Kokopelli picture or statue or whatever.

I'm pretty minimalist - clean lines, uncluttered surfaces. I also love modern industrial stuff, like brushed metal coffee tables, bedsteads, and that sort of thing.

I also like Japanese-inspired stuff - again lots of clean lines.

And oddly, I do like some admittedly rather overwrought Mexican styles - I adore Mexican tile and would completely go crazy with it if it didn't absolutely and horrifically clash with everything else in my house. :lol:

Next time we're in Las Flores I might buy one of the painted sinks and use that for a focal point for the bathroom...even though it will be a bit jarring with the rest of the house. :lol:
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    Country, especially when it's country-cutesy
    White walls everywhere
    The 80s version of contemporary
    Rustic in the taxidermy everywhere sense
    Southwestern

I don't necessarily hate, they're just not what I'm into.

I actually love modern styles with a touch of retro from the 40s and 50s.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I hate floral overload, especially with too many tchotchkes. My mother decorates like this.
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    Oh yeah, I need to add to my list:

Anything with yarn-blech. Like any little wooden crafty cut-out with yarn hair....um NO!

• j'adorej'adore Posts: 1,966Registered Users
    I hate cheese. Anything cheesey and tacky. I am not sure how to describe it. :lol: Dolly Parton/Liberace style, maybe?

I do like the Pier One look, the IKEA look, and the crunchy/organic look. If you mix them all together and throw in a dash of African influence, that is my house.
    "Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
    -Prince

catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png
  • slinky1slinky1 Banned Posts: 1,612Banned Users
    People who incorporate large collections of stuffed animals or dolls into their decor.

Anything that looks cheap and pretends to be expensive.
    ;)
    Why is everyone hating on Southwestern decorating? I like it. Especially when it's done without all the peach and aqua and kokopelli stuff. I used to live in the southwest, so I love to use a few touches here and there in my northeast home, to remind me of a place I really loved...organic terra cotta tile, some beautiful Native American pottery, etc. I still have my 9 foot tall saguaro cactus skeleton...makes a cool statement in the corner of my foyer. Everyone who see it loves it.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I hate country-cutesy, anything too cutesy in general.

Overly ruffled and floral.

I also hate McMansion Grandeur/Modern Mafioso Wannabe with the gold and the marble everywhere. Anything too ostentatious.

I like Japanese, I like Arts & Crafts / Mission. I like cozy modern (as opposed to super sleek minimalist modern) with artsy, ethnic or retro touches.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    People who incorporate large collections of stuffed animals or dolls into their decor.

Blick...dolls... :roll:
    Why is everyone hating on Southwestern decorating? I like it. Especially when it's done without all the peach and aqua and kokopelli stuff. I used to live in the southwest, so I love to use a few touches here and there in my northeast home, to remind me of a place I really loved...organic terra cotta tile, some beautiful Native American pottery, etc. I still have my 9 foot tall saguaro cactus skeleton...makes a cool statement in the corner of my foyer. Everyone who see it loves it.

I like elements of Southwest decor, as long as they are subtle, my problem is its' one of those styles people often go overboard with and it becomes too cutesy-kitschy-theme park.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users
    Hate flowers, dolls, stuffed animals, glass figurines, ruffles, overly "girly" rooms, etc.

I love Shaker, travel themes, and my own place is modern. I have a lot of African art, Asian/Indian beaded tapestries, small statues, etc. My decorations are really a reflection of me.
    geeky wrote:

I also hate McMansion Grandeur/Modern Mafioso Wannabe with the gold and the marble everywhere. Anything too ostentatious.

I like Japanese, I like Arts & Crafts / Mission. I like cozy modern (as opposed to super sleek minimalist modern) with artsy, ethnic or retro touches.

Me too. I'll just move in with you.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    I like western like rustic /mexico/cowboy but not peachy, pink, desert and triangles,etc. My parents home is terra cotta tile floors, with rustic decor in a log cabin type home. It looks great. Our old neighbors however took it to town with peach, pink, cactus, wolves,etc. I just prefer the cowboy look better (although that is not how my home is decorated). My home is an ecclectic mixture of Mexico, retro, junkstore in a cool way, it goes, I swear!

My step--mother-in-law has floral crap everywhere, she took the flowers I gave her at our wedding and attached them to a plastic fan looking thing and hung it in the bathroom with another lacy fan and some more floral junk. :shock: But she is a yarn & wooden cut-out lover too.

• 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    Hmmmm.....as I was reading everything you guys hate, I liked most of it. Seriously the only thing I don't like is cheap things to look rich - all gold etc. I never walk into someones house and think "yuk". What does this mean? I have no taste? I have no opinion? I have no talent? Harumph. :cry: whoa is me....... :wink:
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users
    My parent's house is Shaker, but the finished basement is Southwestern in a very mild way. It looks beautiful. It has the southwestern colors (dark green, burgandy, mustard, etc) and has slight details like Mexican pottery and amber lamps.

It's really gorgeous, and totally fits in with their house, even though it's so different from the rest.
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    PartyHair wrote:
    Me too. I'll just move in with you.

Can I move in with both of you? Between your two posts, you've covered my style likes and dislikes. Right down to the Mexican tiles, PH. I still haven't figured out how that fits into my modern taste, but I like your idea of one bathroom decorated in that style. :)

One more to add to my dislikes column: shabby chic. I think it's really cute for a little girl's room, but it's too girly/florally for me.
  • mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    geeky wrote:

Yes, yes and yes. My biggest pet peeve of the moment is themed kitchens. The whole grapevines/faux Tuscan crap is way overdone. When house hunting I noticed many people are into that Fat Chef themed kitchen. Blech. Both are tack-city, in my ever so humble opinion.

I don’t mind a subtle theme of sorts, but most people can’t capture subtlety and end up going all balls out with their theme.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,380Registered Users
    I don't care for the country cutsey either (esp when cows, ducks, pigs, apples... are used)

the 70's style- paneling, shag carpet, orange furniture. For some homes this may be "new " stuff, for others it never left :lol:

Also not a big fan of the ultra sleek contemporary style that looks about as comfortable as sitting on a cardboard box.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    overly patterned and textured upolstory.

matching chair sets (sofa/love seat/single chair with ottoman)

all white walls

blinds on windows (vertical, horizontal, accordian-style, remote control, etc.). i love wooden shutters, by the way.

wall-to-wall carpeting

pretty much i hate sets and matching like: all chrome and black kitchens

too many wall hangings/paintings and figurines.

i think the key to using any particular decorative style in your home is that you don't overdue it by making your rooms look like the showcase at a furniture store. shows no imagination.

if you have a southwestern throw on the back of your soda, you don't also need southwestern pictures, carvings and figurines, patterned carpet, and walls painted in terra cotta. that, to me, is overkill and i'd be inventing an emergency that would require me to leave if i had to spend a couple of hours being annoyed by all of that busyness while visiting someone.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • NYCurlyGirlyNYCurlyGirly Posts: 1,012Registered Users

Blick...dolls... :roll:

I love my doll collection!! :oops: :cry:
    "Yo, James, i'm really happy for you, i'm gonna let you finish killing Bella in a minute, but Demetri was one of the best Trackers of ALL time!"

www.myspace.com/mimichica
    I've seen dolls done nicely...a few authentic antique dolls in a display case. Or, my mother keeps a Shirley Temple doll on her dresser and that's kinda cute (my mother was named for Shirley Temple). But the whole public area of the house lined with Marie Osmond Today's Special Value...sorry, but it's tacky.
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    geeky wrote:

You said it all. I can add nothing.
  • tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    I'm a big fan of Contemporary/Modern design

I absolutely hate country-style or that distressed/shabby-chic look
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png
  • NYCurlyGirlyNYCurlyGirly Posts: 1,012Registered Users
    I've seen dolls done nicely...a few authentic antique dolls in a display case. Or, my mother keeps a Shirley Temple doll on her dresser and that's kinda cute (my mother was named for Shirley Temple). But the whole public area of the house lined with Marie Osmond Today's Special Value...sorry, but it's tacky.

Oh, now you insult Marie Osmond and her beautiful dolls?? That's it, we're through! :lol:

Seriously, to each her own, I guess. I love Marie Osmond and don't find her dolls displayed to be tacky at all.
    "Yo, James, i'm really happy for you, i'm gonna let you finish killing Bella in a minute, but Demetri was one of the best Trackers of ALL time!"

www.myspace.com/mimichica
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    I don't like:
    Overly themed stuff - like someone else mentioned before. We have a lighthouse theme going on in our family room right now, and I can't wait to get rid of all of this stuff when "we" (read: my parents :lol:) re-paint and get the new furniture this weekend. It was nice for a while, but it's getting old now - it should be refreshing.

When things don't match - as in, maybe the colors in one room clash with the colors in another room. Or, furniture doesn't match with each other - the houses we rent on vacation are always like that.
    I understand that not everyone can afford furniture sets, but at least try to make them match a bit... At least through throw pillows, or something!

When rooms are bland and have no personality.

Overly cluttered rooms - clear some of that stuff out, it'll look much better.

Country... Like that designer, Frank I think, always tried/tries to do on Trading Spaces. Ugh.

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    I don't like themed houses. I don't like Southwest, Country, contemporary, Asian, Beach, Tuscan....if it has a name, I don't like it.

I probably have a little of all that in my home.
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    I don't know what I like. :oops:

Right now we're in our first apartment together and everything we have is what we've been given. :lol: So there's a mish-mash of stuff. Maybe when we buy a house and have more of a decorating bug, I can figure out what I really like.

I don't think I like the art deco/contemporary look. It's too cold. If I wanted to be around that stuff I'd go to a museum.

My mom and my SO's mom and grandma found out I like rabbits and penguins, so they've taken it upon themselves to buy me tons of ceramic and stuffed bunnies and penguins. I have no idea what to do with them. :lol: They can be cute for seasonal/holiday use, I guess, but I don't think I'm a cluttery knick-knack kind of girl. I like lots of framed photos, maybe a few pretty art pieces, and nice candles. NO DOILIES.

Of course, clutter is hard to avoid when you live with King Drop Everything In Random Places and Never Throw Anything Away, Then Complain When You Can't Find Stuff and The Apartment Is A Mess.
    I don't know what I like. :oops:

Right now we're in our first apartment together and everything we have is what we've been given. :lol: So there's a mish-mash of stuff.

I call that style Early American Garage Sale / Dumpster Diver. I was a huge proponent of that style in my younger years.

Of course, clutter is hard to avoid when you live with King Drop Everything In Random Places and Never Throw Anything Away, Then Complain When You Can't Find Stuff and The Apartment Is A Mess.

With some encouragement from you, A can get over this. My husband did. And most of my encouragement was even nice, as opposed to the, "What the hell is your underwear doing on the back of the chair? Why are your clothes from yesterday on the arm of the chair? Do I just drop my junk and leave it there? NO!" type of encouragement.

Also, I didn't really know what I liked when it came to furniture and decorating until a few years ago. I just never put any thought into it until I was in my mid-30s or so.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*