CO washing results so far

e5there5ther Registered Users Posts: 9
I'm a curly girl who lost her curls after years of hair dying. I'm on a mission to get them back! I've been CO washing for a few weeks now and am starting to see results already. I've dyed my hair back to it's natural colour (how i remember it being anyway) and its staying that way. This first picture is how I started out.
photoon20120326at15242.jpg
And this picture is a few weeks in.
photoon20120409at1611.jpg

If anyone has any more suggestions I am very open to taking them!

Comments

• CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Registered Users Posts: 865 Curl Neophyte
    Your hair is looking great!!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    You're definitely getting some curl back—great job!

Just keep up whatever you're doing. Might want to deep treat once a week and probably want to lay off the color treatments for a while.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • e5there5ther Registered Users Posts: 9
    Thanks guys! I'm really excited about getting my curls back! Are there any types of conditioners that are better than others for CO?
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    It really depends on personal preference. I believed for months that I couldn't co-wash more than one or two days in a row, then I tried using clarifying conditioners and it made all the difference. Other people can use heavier conditioners without any problems.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • McfrizzyMcfrizzy Registered Users Posts: 406
    Your hair looks great and like Corrina mentioned it really depends on you. So far i love to use suave naturals coconut because my hair loves protein but other like vo5, tresemme naturals etc. I dont remember who, but when i was using GFTN someone mentioned that it might be too heavy and they were right so you might want to watch out about that.
    Lo-poo:organix Shea butter shampoo
    Co-wash: suave coconut
    Rinse out:GFTN/GVP conditioning balm
    Leave in: GF daily care spray leave in
    Serum-like product: still need one
    Gel:LA looks sport gel/ HESMU,GFPC
    Oils: olive, coconut

I think I'm normal-overly porous, medium-thick hair(although I see fine hair too), love protein
    How do you tell if your hair needs protein? (I am very new to all of this!)
  • McfrizzyMcfrizzy Registered Users Posts: 406
    e5ther wrote: »

Hopefully someone else can help you out because im not really sure. How i know is because when i give my hair protein (eggs), it feels soft and healthier. I think the best way you can tell is by determining your hair porosity and alot of people recommend this article. I think fine hair and overly porous hair like protein but im not too sure.

Live Curly Live Free - Curly Hair Basics - its the live curly live free one if you type it in google

Also, if your hair feels dry, brittle, etc and moisture doesnt really seem to be helping that might indicate that you need protein. Hope i helped
    Lo-poo:organix Shea butter shampoo
    Co-wash: suave coconut
    Rinse out:GFTN/GVP conditioning balm
    Leave in: GF daily care spray leave in
    Serum-like product: still need one
    Gel:LA looks sport gel/ HESMU,GFPC
    Oils: olive, coconut

I think I'm normal-overly porous, medium-thick hair(although I see fine hair too), love protein
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    Typically fine hair and high porosity hair like protein. I know that need protein when my curls start to go limp. Until you know how your hair does with protein, you might want to follow with moisture (I still do this because my hair likes lots of protein plus lots of moisture). IAGirl (one of the members here) posted an awesome homemade PT recipe on the 2s forum (I'm on my cell, otherwise I would attach the link). It gives results similar to Aphogee 2 Step and Nexxus Emergencee.

The protein moisture balance is probably the most challenging thing to master. The other thing to keep in mind is that different people will react to different proteins in different ways. There can be a lot of trial and error involved.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • dresdendolldresdendoll Registered Users Posts: 435
    Your hair looks great!
    2c/2b with some 2a, coarse, dense, thick, low porosity
    Growing out a CL bob. Currently at APL.
    CG again as of 7/20/12 :laughing5:

Cleanser: BRÖÖ Smoothing I.P.A. Shampoo
    RO: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Beautiful Curls Gel for Wavy to Curly Hair

:love4: all-natural products, light moisture, humectants, argan oil
    :pukeright:silk protein, synthetic ingredients, heavy oils/products, cowashing
  • whirlyhairwhirlyhair Registered Users Posts: 194

Fine textured hair needs proteins in order to give it some bounce and strength. Overly porous hair needs proteins. Very elastic hair needs proteins.

First, you have to find out your hair's special identity, which are: Porosity, elasticity, and texture. These will determine what products you need for your hair.

High porosity = Needs proteins.
    Normal porosity = Can use both proteins and moisture.
    Low porosity = Needs moisture.

High elasticity = Needs proteins.
    Normal elasticity = Use both.
    Low elasticity = Needs moisture.

Fine texture = Needs proteins.
    Medium texture = Use both.
    Coarse texture = Needs moisture.

My texture is medium, the elasticity is low, yet it's very porous. Anybody can have the most random combinations... Not all fine haired girls are porous, for example.

Do you know how to test your hair for these? If you don't, I'll post the instructions if you want. :)
    CG since 3/11/2012

Engaged. :love5: Wedding date: 02/26/2016

Type 2C (Botticelli according to Curly Girl: The Handbook)
    iii Density
    Medium-Coarse Texture
    Normal Porosity
    Normal Elasticity
    HATES: Traditional sulfates/cones.
    LOVES: Lots of moisture and homemade FSG! :love10:
    (Many thanks to http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/ for helping me figure out my texture, porosity, and elasticity properties! Check them out sometime!)
    whirlyhair wrote: »

Do you know how to test your hair for these? If you don't, I'll post the instructions if you want. :)

I have absolutely no idea! So yes please!!! :)
  • evawiedmannevawiedmann Registered Users Posts: 1
    I think we have pretty similar curls, from what I can tell.

I am five weeks into the no-poo method and I've run into some problems. The last time I tried it I didn't realize that I shouldn't have been using cones so my hair ended up really weighed down. This time, I've been CO washing everyday and using absolutely no cones. The problem is that after about 6 hours my hair looks dirty again. If I CO wash in the evening my hair looks great all night but by morning it looks like a greasy mess. I know that most people say to give it a full 6 weeks, but I feel like the problem is getting worse, not better. My hair also seems duller and dryer than usual. Any tips? Maybe low poo is a better option for me?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file