Should I get shorter layers?

whirlyhairwhirlyhair Posts: 194Registered Users
I've been going CG for a while now, and people are really starting to love my hair. My last haircut was on Christmas week of 2011, which was around 4 months ago. I had the Ouidad cut, and the stylist cut layers around my face.

Although my hair looks nice, I am currently suffering from my hair getting pulled down, and so while some strands look curly and nice, other strands (especially upwards around my crown) gets so pulled down it can look straight and lanky. :( My hair is also suffering from flyaway frizz no matter what I do.

So, should I get shorter layers like, around my head? So that my hair can spring up and curl up better? (At this point, I want my hair to look big and curly as much as I can!)

I also hate the fact that the top of my head is flat (even when I use duckbill clips) while down the bottom my hair is thick, curly, and beautiful. I want that all over instead of looking like a weird triangle.

Thank you!
CG since 3/11/2012

Engaged. :love5: Wedding date: 02/26/2016

Type 2C (Botticelli according to Curly Girl: The Handbook)
iii Density
Medium-Coarse Texture
Normal Porosity
Normal Elasticity
HATES: Traditional sulfates/cones.
LOVES: Lots of moisture and homemade FSG! :love10:
(Many thanks to http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/ for helping me figure out my texture, porosity, and elasticity properties! Check them out sometime!)

Comments

  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    if your hair is 2c/3a, then the curl doesn't start at the root, needs a couple of inches before it curls.
    do you have a photo of your hair? and photos of how you want your hair to be? that would make it easier for us to give some suggestions.

    3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • whirlyhairwhirlyhair Posts: 194Registered Users
    rbb wrote: »
    if your hair is 2c/3a, then the curl doesn't start at the root, needs a couple of inches before it curls.
    do you have a photo of your hair? and photos of how you want your hair to be? that would make it easier for us to give some suggestions.

    Below are three different pictures of my hair that I just took. I rinsed it out with V05 Strawberries/Cream moisture milks conditioner, do another rinse out with GVP conditioning balm, and then finished it off with L.A. sports gel.

    As you can see, it just lays flat against my head, and I hate it. I still don't even know my exact curl type is, do you know? :dontknow:

    I want a hair cut that will activate my curls and to make it bouncier, to add volume in my hair.

    short-curly-hairstyles-2012-8.jpg

    ^^^^ We do not have the same curl type, but I do like her hair cut. See how it just kinds of balloons out instead of laying flat? Like that. I want my hair to do something like that!
    CG since 3/11/2012

    Engaged. :love5: Wedding date: 02/26/2016

    Type 2C (Botticelli according to Curly Girl: The Handbook)
    iii Density
    Medium-Coarse Texture
    Normal Porosity
    Normal Elasticity
    HATES: Traditional sulfates/cones.
    LOVES: Lots of moisture and homemade FSG! :love10:
    (Many thanks to http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/ for helping me figure out my texture, porosity, and elasticity properties! Check them out sometime!)
  • CurliniCurlini Posts: 258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi Whirly,
    You have beautiful hair! It looks to me like your curl pattern is 2C. (Curl pattern isn't as important as texture and porosity) Your hair is pretty long and the weight of it is probably pulling the curl down. You'll be able to enhance your curl a lot with CG techniques & products. But I agree with you that it would help a lot to have more layers. Would you consider going to a shorter length like the model in the photo? Taking a few inches off & adding more layers would probably allow your hair to curl more.
    A big part of what I've learned on the CG journey is accepting & appreciating my hair for what it can and can't do. There are definitely times when it's frustrating because hair seems to have a mind of it's own. You're already amazed at how your hair is doing and as you experiment and learn what your hair likes and doesn't like,you're going to be even more amazed. So, don't go hating on your hair! ;-)
    Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
    Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
    Icequeen method
    CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    your hair does not have root curl like the photo (nor does mine!). as curlini said, looks like you have 2c hair. however, with the right cut and the right products, it may turn out that you have 3a hair.
    i would take that photo to your stylist and tell her while you know your curl pattern is not the same, you want layers with the weight of the hair kind of at the middle, like hers. so you would get the same shape cut, just with waves and loose curls. a very good look.

    3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • whirlyhairwhirlyhair Posts: 194Registered Users
    Curlini wrote: »
    Hi Whirly,
    You have beautiful hair! It looks to me like your curl pattern is 2C. (Curl pattern isn't as important as texture and porosity) Your hair is pretty long and the weight of it is probably pulling the curl down. You'll be able to enhance your curl a lot with CG techniques & products. But I agree with you that it would help a lot to have more layers. Would you consider going to a shorter length like the model in the photo? Taking a few inches off & adding more layers would probably allow your hair to curl more.
    A big part of what I've learned on the CG journey is accepting & appreciating my hair for what it can and can't do. There are definitely times when it's frustrating because hair seems to have a mind of it's own. You're already amazed at how your hair is doing and as you experiment and learn what your hair likes and doesn't like,you're going to be even more amazed. So, don't go hating on your hair! ;-)

    2C, eh? :laughing6: Alright, I'm cool with that label. :) Thank you!

    Oh yes, thank you so much for the compliments. It took me a very, very long time to finally accept myself as I am naturally, and that includes my hair. I truly appreciate your compliments. :D

    I am a little scared of giving up some length, but I do want to make my hair the curliest it can get... so maybe I should.

    So, what should I say to a stylist? I'm due for a haircut!
    CG since 3/11/2012

    Engaged. :love5: Wedding date: 02/26/2016

    Type 2C (Botticelli according to Curly Girl: The Handbook)
    iii Density
    Medium-Coarse Texture
    Normal Porosity
    Normal Elasticity
    HATES: Traditional sulfates/cones.
    LOVES: Lots of moisture and homemade FSG! :love10:
    (Many thanks to http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/ for helping me figure out my texture, porosity, and elasticity properties! Check them out sometime!)
  • whirlyhairwhirlyhair Posts: 194Registered Users
    rbb wrote: »
    your hair does not have root curl like the photo (nor does mine!). as curlini said, looks like you have 2c hair. however, with the right cut and the right products, it may turn out that you have 3a hair.
    i would take that photo to your stylist and tell her while you know your curl pattern is not the same, you want layers with the weight of the hair kind of at the middle, like hers. so you would get the same shape cut, just with waves and loose curls. a very good look.

    Thank you!

    I actually also want my hair cut to be like yours... you see how it's got a shape to it instead of just laying down against your head? I want my hair to do that. :mrgreen: I love your 3A hair, dear!
    CG since 3/11/2012

    Engaged. :love5: Wedding date: 02/26/2016

    Type 2C (Botticelli according to Curly Girl: The Handbook)
    iii Density
    Medium-Coarse Texture
    Normal Porosity
    Normal Elasticity
    HATES: Traditional sulfates/cones.
    LOVES: Lots of moisture and homemade FSG! :love10:
    (Many thanks to http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/ for helping me figure out my texture, porosity, and elasticity properties! Check them out sometime!)
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    thanks!

    you have beautiful hair, your waves are perfect! like curlini said, we all have to accept our hair as it is, while still making it the best it can be.
    i think a cut with a different shape (as in that photo), might make you feel you have a shape to your hair. with your hair a little shorter it MIGHT curl up more. if it doesn't, it's still great hair!

    there are many different shapes to cut curly/wavy hair into, so that is why it is good to bring photos and be specific. ie, my stylist tends to cut hair in a u shape, i prefer a rounded c shape, so he knows that and cuts my hair in a rounded shape. photos make it so much easier!!

    3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • bigredapmibigredapmi Posts: 229Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    whirlyhair wrote: »
    Curlini wrote: »
    Hi Whirly,
    You have beautiful hair! It looks to me like your curl pattern is 2C. (Curl pattern isn't as important as texture and porosity) Your hair is pretty long and the weight of it is probably pulling the curl down. You'll be able to enhance your curl a lot with CG techniques & products. But I agree with you that it would help a lot to have more layers. Would you consider going to a shorter length like the model in the photo? Taking a few inches off & adding more layers would probably allow your hair to curl more.
    A big part of what I've learned on the CG journey is accepting & appreciating my hair for what it can and can't do. There are definitely times when it's frustrating because hair seems to have a mind of it's own. You're already amazed at how your hair is doing and as you experiment and learn what your hair likes and doesn't like,you're going to be even more amazed. So, don't go hating on your hair! ;-)

    2C, eh? :laughing6: Alright, I'm cool with that label. :) Thank you!

    Oh yes, thank you so much for the compliments. It took me a very, very long time to finally accept myself as I am naturally, and that includes my hair. I truly appreciate your compliments. :D

    I am a little scared of giving up some length, but I do want to make my hair the curliest it can get... so maybe I should.

    So, what should I say to a stylist? I'm due for a haircut!


    Layers will give you more root lift, so will clipping. Ask your stylist for some disconnected layers in the crown area. But please remember that it takes 2 1/2 turns to make a curl. If you go any shorter than that, you will loose curl. hth
    3a/3b coarse and thick.....big and red

    Advanced Deva inspired Stylist
  • LisaF1163LisaF1163 Posts: 1,079Registered Users
    When I've grown my hair really long, it pulls the curl down, especially if it's almost all one length. As soon as I've cut off some length and added in layers, it springs right up. The right products are important, of course, just like others have pointed out. But I think a cut and some layers would be good too.

    Either way, your hair is beautiful!
    CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
    Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file