C-Section on Friday!

WavyWendyWavyWendy Registered Users Posts: 138
Yep.... still pregnant..... My C-Section is scheduled for Friday morning - I'm starting to get very nervous, excited, etc!!! :shock: :D

:)
Wendy

Comments

• SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    aww good luck Wendy!! Please come back when you can and tell us how you and your baby are doing
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    Best of luck, Wendy! :D
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    Good luck Wendy! Enjoy these last few nights of sleep :lol:.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • loosecurlsloosecurls Registered Users Posts: 637
    Good luck! Be aware that once the epidural/spinal kicks in that you won't be able to feel yourself breathing--it's weird. The other thing is that they will strap your arms down.

PhDcow warned me about the breathing thing & I feel compelled to share it w/ others!!!

We can't wait to see pics !
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
  • sundaysunday Registered Users Posts: 535
    Good luck! Where are you delivering? When I had my c-section, they didn't strap my arms down. But I do remember not being able to move my fingers.
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    Good luck!! I hope it goes smoothly and easily for you.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    The other thing is that they will strap your arms down.

You can say "NO" to having your arms strapped down. There's no reason to strap down the arms of a conscious surgical patient who has regional anesthesia. It's a barbaric practice to restrain someone that way, and you always have the right to say "NO". I told them no arm strapping for all 3 of my c-secs, and they didn't do it.

Good luck to WavyWendy! If you want to be awake and enjoy your baby in the hours following the surgery, be sure to tell the anesthesiologist that you don't want any mind-altering drugs...some anesthesiogiologists have a standard practice to slip the woman a little sedative for the repair phase of the surgery, but it's really not necessary, and it can leave the woman groggy for hours.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    yay good luck how over due are you???
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    Good luck!

If you are planning to breastfeed, tell the doctors and nurses in advance that you plan to do it, want to start as soon as possible (in the recovery room) and that you don't want the baby getting any bottles. Here is a good article on breastfeeding after a C-Section
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    g/l!
    I can't believe it's time :)
    Altho I know you can...

:lol:
  • PhDCowPhDCow Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Curl Connoisseur
    Good luck!
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

• inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    Good Luck Wendy!!

I had a scheduled c-section and everything was fine. I wasn't strapped down...I did however rub DH's hand raw during the procedure from being nervous. He didn't even notice until he went to look at Chas while they were weighing him and wondered why his hand hurt. :lol:

Your going to do great. Can't wait to see pics of the little one!!!

My Hospital/C-Section Advice:

1) Be sure to get moving 6-10 hours after the c-section. Don't wait a full day to do this like I did. This will help everything start working better.

2) Stay in the hospital as long as you can and enjoy the good food and expert baby-sitting, and pampering.

3) Be sure to send baby to nursery at night so you can sleep. They will bring baby back to the room when he/she is hungry.

4) If your hungry ask for more food. I did...and the nurses/cafeteria supplied it freely...

I'm so excited for you!!!!
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    All the best Wendy!
  • CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    How exciting!

Just a side note, I could feel myself breathing (trust me, I had a complex system of blinks just in case because I'm a freak like that) and they didn't strap my arms down. It probably looked like that, but I wasn't strapped down. I don't know, mentally it helped me to know that I could move if I got the urge (not that I did). One arm was out to the side so my husband could hold my hand and the other had an IV. And also somewhere in there they were monitoring my pulse and bp. No idea which arm what was. Like I said, I'm sure I looked strapped down but it really helped me to think of it as just being positioned like that. Also, I wasn't groggy at all but I was goofy with relief!

BTW, everything went fine and I had a great recovery! You'll do so well!

One last thing, stock up on gas-ex, hot drinks, and hot cream based soups (I liked the soup at hand things because they're easy, but if you have someone in your family who will be your Soup Chef, that's cool too!) and avoid anything with bubbles. Trust.

Good luck and we'll all be waiting for baby pics!!!
  • M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    CGNYC wrote:

One last thing, stock up on gas-ex, hot drinks, and hot cream based soups (I liked the soup at hand things because they're easy, but if you have someone in your family who will be your Soup Chef, that's cool too!) and avoid anything with bubbles. Trust.

CGNYC is wise. Trust in her post. :)

Good luck!!! You're going to be fine!!!
    :rambo:
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    Why do you have to have a C?

Good luck - hope it goes well!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• WavyWendyWavyWendy Registered Users Posts: 138
    Awe - thank you all for the well wishes & advice. I really appreciate it!

We arrive at the hospital two hours before surgery to go over everything, meet the anesthesiologist, go over what we do or don't want, etc. (all of the info, is already on file from my OB's office - we just go over it again).
    Yes, definitely want to make it very clear that I want to be able to breast feed & that I do not want baby to have any bottles.

Strapping arms down? Wow - never heard of that - that does sound barbaric!! I will definitely need to be holding hubby's hand, as I am already nervous!

I am not over due - I am actually due on Jan 29th. But, we all thought baby was coming early, as he completely dropped at 33 weeks (though, even with all that pressure down below, I have not dilated passed 1cm).
    I chose to have a c-section, because my labor & delivery with my daughter (almost 2) was a f'ing nightmare. And, shortly after she was born, I found out that there was a 10 year study done, that showed that it is quite common for women with hypothyroidism (which I have) to have this type of deivery. The short version is that I did not dilate (and apparently this is the common hypo. thing) on my own. It took 27 hours on a pitocen (sp?) drip to get me to dilate, with my daughter. Then 2 hours of pushing (the epidural wore off completely 10 minutes into pushing, so I felt everything - not happy) - her head was huge (95th percentile for head size until she was 18 months old - now she is 85th percentile), which tore my private parts to shreds - requiring tons of stitches (now have scar tissue that I still have issues with). Was also on the hydrating IV for about 35 straight hours - that with the pitocen lead to extreme swelling. The nurse was afraid my feet would actually burst. I could barely bend my knees (could not stand up or walk on my own) for almost 3 weeks. Everything inside was way swollen, too, which lead to a horrible uterine infection. It was a mess..... So, I decided that never, ever, again would I go through that. And, based on that study, there is about a 90% chance that I would have gone through it again....So, here we are......

I'll be in touch as soon as I am up & around, a bit.
    Thanks again!!!

Wendy
  • iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    Good luck Wendy!! Is this your first c-section? You will do great! Let us know how it goes!

My hospital straps the arms down too. It seems pretty ridiculous and too much like the days when they tied women down and gave them scopalamine (a drug that caused hallucinations and wiped out all memory of the birth).
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    Gosh Wendy, we don't want you going through all that again!
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    Good luck!
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I can see not wanting to repeat that experience, Wendy. Everyone I know who's had a scheduled C-section said it was really easy and low-stress. Good luck!
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • DayzieDayzie Registered Users Posts: 233
    Good luck Wendy, not that you need it now. I hope all went well, and your new little one is healthy. Can't wait to see pics. I'm sure he/she is beautiful. :D
    "You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing."

"There is so much good in the worst of us and so much bad in the best of us, it hardly behooves any of us to talk about the rest of us."
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    Best of luck with your c-section. Just remember to brace yourself for when you laugh, cough or sneeze. For the first little while - it hurts.

Can't wait to see pictures of your new little one!
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
    Best of luck with your c-section. Just remember to brace yourself for when you laugh, cough or sneeze. For the first little while - it hurts.

Dood, NO ONE told me that! The first time I tried to clear my throat I thought I would DIE :lol:
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    CGNYC wrote:

Dood, NO ONE told me that! The first time I tried to clear my throat I thought I would DIE :lol:

I wasn't warned either about the pain.

Also, if you need to go to the bathroom - make sure you start heading to the bathroom at the first inkling that you have to go. It will take you that long to get up and get to the bathroom in time so that you don't pee on your slippers - not that that happened to me! :oops:
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
    Ok, now that did not happen to me but I think I sort of accidentally stumbled into the easiest way to get out of bed so I wasn't struggling that much. I was also not too embarassed to be all, "GET OVER HERE AND HELP ME UP!!!" When ya gotta go...

Now, once I was at home, toward the end of the day I could get stranded in the recliner (unable to put the "legs" down) and that was just so frustrating!!! But looking back, recovery went pretty quickly (tho I do think they are stingy with the drugs, the rats!) - tho there were times it felt like forever.
  • WavyWendyWavyWendy Registered Users Posts: 138
    Hello :D

Just wanted to check in....

Christopher is was born at 8:37 Friday morning, he weighed 7 lb., 10 oz. & was 19 & 3/4 inches long.

We were actually released from the hospital yesterday, a day early. As long as the pain is managed, I feel really good!

Started to get really nervous, right before the c-section, but I am guessing that is quite normal.....

I have to say, the c-section experience has a been a MILLION times better, than the vaginal birthing experience.

I'll be back with details an the next few days.....

Wendy
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    Yay! Hugs and Super Congratulations to you! Hope things continue to go well for you during recovery!
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    YAY!!!

Congrats and WELCOME CHRISTOPHER!!!
    :rambo:
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
    That is fantastic! Congrats! Can't wait to see pictures!
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file