Is it necessary to use gel?

I find that whenever I use a lot of gel (GF pure clean gel) and my hair dries as I sleep, the curls get tighter and frizzier. But when I use a little gel, with mostly KCKT and my conditioner and a little olive oil, then my curls are more elongated and frizz free. I'm confused. What is the culprit? Is it the gel?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlTalk App
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly and PROUD!!!

My hair has a mix of low/med/high porosity, and it's medium textured (some are still fine, though!)

CG since Sept. 2011
Cowash: Vo5/Suave Naturals/Tresemme Naturals*
RO/LI: GVPCB*, Tresemme Naturals*
Low-poo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention
Stylers: KCKT*, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Honey*

* represents my HGs!!! Finally!!!

Comments

• dresdendolldresdendoll Registered Users Posts: 435
    I used to just use a lowpoo and curl enhancing leave-in with pretty good results, but then I got KCCC and got frizzy (but curly) curls. Now I use a very light-hold creamy gel instead of strong-hold thick gel and am getting frizz free curls again :)
    2c/2b with some 2a, coarse, dense, thick, low porosity
    Growing out a CL bob. Currently at APL.
    CG again as of 7/20/12 :laughing5:

Cleanser: BRÖÖ Smoothing I.P.A. Shampoo
    RO: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Beautiful Curls Gel for Wavy to Curly Hair

:love4: all-natural products, light moisture, humectants, argan oil
    :pukeright:silk protein, synthetic ingredients, heavy oils/products, cowashing
  • ElizabethFaithElizabethFaith Registered Users Posts: 429
    Thanks! I used the LCLF method of re-adding my conditioner, and switched to a softer-hold gel. Now, I'm getting near frizz-free curls!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly and PROUD!!!

My hair has a mix of low/med/high porosity, and it's medium textured (some are still fine, though!)

CG since Sept. 2011
    Cowash: Vo5/Suave Naturals/Tresemme Naturals*
    RO/LI: GVPCB*, Tresemme Naturals*
    Low-poo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention
    Stylers: KCKT*, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Honey*

* represents my HGs!!! Finally!!!
  • PRINCETONPRINCETON Registered Users Posts: 872
    Most gels contain some kind of quick drying ingredient so it "flash freezes" the curls making them tighter. After a while that quick drying ingredient, sometimes but not always an alcohol chemical, keeps working long after the hair dried and it starts leaving long term dry hair effect.

The creamier gels keep the moisture longer so it tend to keep the hair closer to the length that it was when you applied it but later in the day after some drying occurs you will start to experience some shrinkage.

PRINCETON

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file