Dye

3bcurly3bcurly Posts: 68Registered Users
I have dark brown hair i wanna go to a lighter shade or like a golden brown..Im only 17 which i dont wanna damage my hair..Is there anyway i can dye my hair without damaging my curls?

Comments

• irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You cant go lighter without use bleach. They may call it a 'lightener', but it's still bleach.

You could use a semi permanent dye to get a golden highlight, or henna. Both of these won't cause damage, but it will just be your color with reddish or golden hues.

With drugstore hair dyes, make sure you always use a semi permanent, never permanent. And always go a shade lighter. They tend to come out darker than expected.

Also, Natural Instincts comes with a color refresher packet - don't use it. It makes your hair very red.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SusieSuzeSusieSuze Posts: 524Registered Users
    iroc wrote: »
    You cant go lighter without use bleach. They may call it a 'lightener', but it's still bleach.

You could use a semi permanent dye to get a golden highlight, or henna. Both of these won't cause damage, but it will just be your color with reddish or golden hues.

With drugstore hair dyes, make sure you always use a semi permanent, never permanent. And always go a shade lighter. They tend to come out darker than expected.

Also, Natural Instincts comes with a color refresher packet - don't use it. It makes your hair very red.

Sorry, you got that wrong.
    You CAN go lighter without bleach.
    Bleach is required if you want more than 4 levels of lift.
    Permanent colour has the ability to lighten 3 to 4 levels depending on the hair texture. The darker and coarser the hair the less lift that permanent colour will be able to manage.

Here is a chart that gives you an idea of the levels of neutral toned hair.
    Natural+hair+color+Levels.jpg

There is NOTHING out there that I am aware of that can lighten hair without damage. ALL chemical colours will damage your hair to some extent. Even semi-permanents which do not change the existing hair colour will do some damage. The worst damage will come from bleach and permanent colour.

I did read here recently that you can use honey to create highlights in your hair with minimal damage. Maybe this is something that might work well for you.
    Just google highlight hair with honey and you will find lots of info..

Good luck!
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    SusieSuze wrote: »

Sorry, you got that wrong.
    You CAN go lighter without bleach.
    Bleach is required if you want more than 4 levels of lift.
    Permanent colour has the ability to lighten 3 to 4 levels depending on the hair texture. The darker and coarser the hair the less lift that permanent colour will be able to manage.

Here is a chart that gives you an idea of the levels of neutral toned hair.
    Natural+hair+color+Levels.jpg

There is NOTHING out there that I am aware of that can lighten hair without damage. ALL chemical colours will damage your hair to some extent. Even semi-permanents which do not change the existing hair colour will do some damage. The worst damage will come from bleach and permanent colour.

I did read here recently that you can use honey to create highlights in your hair with minimal damage. Maybe this is something that might work well for you.
    Just google highlight hair with honey and you will find lots of info..

Good luck!

What's in the permanent color that is lightening your hair a couple of shades? Bleach.

You don't have to do a separate lightening treatment (bleaching), if thats what you mean. But if it's lightening, there is bleach involved somewhere in the process. Even if it's mixed in the single process color.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • diasporadiaspora Posts: 596Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    3bcurly wrote: »
    I have dark brown hair i wanna go to a lighter shade or like a golden brown..Im only 17 which i dont wanna damage my hair..Is there anyway i can dye my hair without damaging my curls?

I don't have knowledge on the technical stuff about damage, but I got my hair colored (in the salon) from my natural very dark brown/auburn to a medium golden brown (about 2 shades lighter than I was). This was about 6 months ago. I got a few highlights a couple months later. My hair started out very healthy (I've been CG for years, also never use heat except at the salon) and I have no NOTICEABLE damage or change in my curl pattern.

I think if your hair is already healthy and you're able to keep taking good care of it, why not try out color? Though personally, I wouldn't risk using at-home color. Let us know if you decide to go for it.
    Formerly Urbancurl.
    Medium-high density, fine-medium, low-normal porosity, 3b/c, permanent color.
    CG, no heat, combs, brushes, parabens.
    Fall/Winter HG=Alba Botanica Soft Hold Style Cream.
    Spring/Summer HG=MGA Sculpting Gel
    Current fave LI=Madre Labs Made by Nature for Baby Conditioner.
    Limit oils, butters, glycerin.
  • 3bcurly3bcurly Posts: 68Registered Users
    Thanks guys!! & disapora thats so great! im sure my hair is healthy too im defo give it a try and dye my hair at a hair salon! thankyouu
  • SusieSuzeSusieSuze Posts: 524Registered Users
    What's in the permanent color that is lightening your hair a couple of shades? Bleach.

You don't have to do a separate lightening treatment (bleaching), if thats what you mean. But if it's lightening, there is bleach involved somewhere in the process. Even if it's mixed in the single process color.

The chemical agents in bleach are much much stronger than in permanent colour.
    You can call the lightening agents in permanent colour bleach if you want but the point is when you're explaining to someone who doesn't know anything about hair colour at all, the basics are:

Bleach is lightening only, and is very strong and able to lift the natural pigment all the way to white if the hair can handle it. It's likely necessary to tone the hair after you bleach, to get the desired results.

Permanent Colour does lighten hair but also deposits colour. It is MUCH LESS DAMAGING THAN BLEACH. It can lighten up to 3 or even 4 levels depending on the peroxide strength (called 'volume') and the texture of the hair you're putting it on. Some high lift blondes have extra ammonia (or something else that is alkaline) that can assist in getting lighter results.

Semi and Demi Permanent is supposed to give temporary results lasting anywhere from 6 to 28 shampoos. It is also supposed to be non-damaging, but some do actually damage a little. Also, depending on what the condition of your hair is, you can actually get permanent results.. Porous hair can grab certain pigments and hold on to them longer than you may want. Do not try to be a redhead for a month if you have bleached blonde hair. You will end up having red or even pink hair for a very long time. It may never wash out without chemical help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file