We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Is your hair even on both sides?

Do u find that no matter what type of cut you get, that as a curly, your hair isn't always even on both sides?

Like for instance, I got a really cool cut a couple of months back and even though the unevenness is slight, one section in the back is shorter than the other. It doesn't hurt the style or anything and of course, being that it's MY hair I'm the only that sees it. As my hair grows out, it will become less noticeable, but still...

Does your hair always come out even when you get it done? And if not, how do you deal with it?
Jada1111

HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fjada1111%2F" class="Popup
PW: flower

Comments

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    Sometimes my left side looks a tad bit shorter since I curl more tightly on that side. It's not enough to bother me. I just figure that each curl has its own length so I don't think my hair will look truly even while curly.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • x_tigerlilyx_tigerlily Posts: 432Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't really know about length. But in thickness, it's definitely uneven.
    3C/4A and too long to handle (and afford!)
  • xfancyxfancy Posts: 91Registered Users
    yes, my right side is curlier than the left side, so it looks like i got a bad hair cut :x
    but its all even when its straight
    3c... and clueless pj
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    After a couple of months your hair may be growing unevenly. Mine does that.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • CheleighCheleigh Posts: 552Registered Users
    The left side of my hair is both thicker and longer than the right. It just seems to grow a little faster, and I know it's thicker.
    Natural pics: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpicturetrail.com%2Fshelacious" class="Popup
    pw: kinky
    Hair type: Spongy & kinky texture. Coily & curly strands.
  • CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    My hair doesn't curl as nicely on the left as it does on the right. I don't know if it looks unbalanced or whatnot, but it drives me crazy.
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    One of my sides is generally less curly on any given day so it looks longer. Or the back. I rake through my products now so that helps but it just comes out of my head differently. The longer I baby it the more even it gets but genetics are genetics.
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    It's the joy of curly hair. Always surprises you.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    Now that I'm getting my hair cut when dry, it does come out even. However, I think one side grows faster than the other. One side is also always curlier than the other. So after a while it is uneven.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    mine is always uneven, one day I'll have a straight blunt hemline, then next a v. the most popular lately seems a blunt line with 2 locks in the back that are longer. It depends alot on how tight my curls are that day.

Im growing out dye and I have noticed it grows faster on the left side then the right.
  • tinabcurlytinabcurly Posts: 545Registered Users
    The left side of my hair is thicker & grows faster. It's also less curly than the right, so it looks even longer, which doesn't help. By the time I'm ready for a trim, it looks like I do my hair when I'm drunk. Just one of the charms of being curly!
    3a/b mix
    pw:curlyqs
  • JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    My right side is definitely curlier than the left, though I think I'm the only one who notices it.it seems like a lot of people on here have a curlier right side...odd. ~~jax
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • unique1193unique1193 Posts: 328Registered Users
    I don't really know about length. But in thickness, it's definitely uneven.

ditto, even when i part my hair pefectly centered.

2c/3a
    Growing out hair to a little above bsl
    pw: ringlets
  • curlybeancurlybean Posts: 66Registered Users
    Mine and my daughters hair is the curliest in the very back underneath the canopy. I usually leave that part atleast an inch or two longer than the rest and it still shrinks up and looks kind of funny back there.
    3B, Fine, Low Porosity, & High Hair Density
  • curlycaramelcurlycaramel Posts: 472Registered Users
    my hair isn't uneven, it's just no matter how much product i put in or how much i think i've covered it evenly the left said of my hair always has a really fuzzy patch at the back .
    I used to think it was cause someone threw gum in my hair when i was 12 and my teacher had to cut it out but that was 14 years ago it wouldn't be the issue now!
    Long thick curls, mix of 3b/3c
  • Botticelli VenusBotticelli Venus Posts: 109Registered Users
    Everybody has more hair on one side than the other and everybody's crown goes in one direction or the other which affects it too!

My hair is curliest in the back which is very strange, because I can sleep on it and it's ok. It's the sides that droop -- maybe because I don't touch the back so much? :roll:
    Julie Benz: "I really loved on Angel when we would do the flashbacks and I'd have the big, wild, messy long hair that was thick and full and that's how God meant for me to look."
  • sfisher323sfisher323 Posts: 537Registered Users
    Absolutely! I never noticed it while I was wearing it straight, but my hair while curly appears to be thicker on one side - and curls better! I've decided to accept this as a function of being curly . . . it also grows unevenly after a few months, which I notice less, but my hairdresser's pointed it out to me. One side is always longer than the other when I finally get my butt to her chair.
    embracing my inner curl since late Nov 2006
    2b/3a (I think?)
    color-treated red/brown, medium-textured hair
    PJ, currently using Suave citrus smoothie, B2B pom cond, GF C&S leave-in, AG re:coil, LOOB, HE SMU, Jessicurl HCC, CC, AIS
  • SmallFrySmallFry Posts: 614Registered Users
    Yup, my hair is curlier on the right side but the curliest part is the back under the canopy. And I have one curl on the back left that is just WAY looser than the rest. It just hangs there!
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My hair is even when it's wet or when you pull it down to see. But when it's dry it looks a little uneven. Besides the curls/waves being different on each side, I've discovered another reason why mine looks uneven. For some reason a little of backside/underneath of my hair on the left side gravitates over my shoulder in front. The same section on the right side of my hair tends to clump more and stays in back. Since my hair is angled, it ends up making it look like my left side is longer than my right.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • strawbegonestrawbegone Posts: 36Registered Users
    I'm always having to go back to the stylist for a fix to my right side, that side is thicker and has less curl formation than the left. Every time I get it cut it's always about 1/2 to 1 inch off, wet or dry...wondering has anyone had their tresses cut DRY?? I see Ms. Massey believes this is the way to go for us curlies. I've never found a stylist that has done this, very interested in finding one that does though.
    2a/2b canopy 3a/3b underneath
    Modified CG, co wash diluted VO5, LOVE Elucence MBC & MBS! Activate's nice too.
    Still looking for a styling product...suggestions welcome!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file