Ouidad claims sulfates are not drying to the hair

pamm3lapamm3la Posts: 70Registered Users
I was reading her blog and she claims that sulfates mixed with other moisturizing ingredients are not drying to the hair so that's why her shampoos has sulfates.

What you guys think?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
3B/3C Recovering from heat damaged :/... almost like transitioning because most of my hair is straight it won't curl, thsi is due to sooo many years of using heat without stoping.

Braid out and twist out are my staple styles right now! Not using heat since December 2011. Still experimenting with products!

Comments

• [Anonymous User][Anonymous User] Posts: 0 Curl Connoisseur
    I say RUN! Sulfates are drying PERIOD! I have to use hand lotion everytime I even wash my hands! Is that person high?!
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm going to risk possible backlash and voice a dissenting view. I think it depends on which sulfate and how much of it. I generally co-wash or low-poo, but I started using a sulfate shampoo once a week before my PT/DT. I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that my hair feels softer and less stripped after using CHS Treatment Shampoo than it does after using the vast majority of low-poos that I've tried. To the point where I've contemplated trying it exclusively for a few weeks just to see what happens. We all know that sulfate-free does not always equate to gentle, so why do we automatically believe that all sulfates equate to evil? It's all a matter of what works best for each individual.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    I'm going to risk possible backlash and voice a dissenting view. I think it depends on which sulfate and how much of it. I generally co-wash or low-poo, but I started using a sulfate shampoo once a week before my PT/DT. I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that my hair feels softer and less stripped after using CHS Treatment Shampoo than it does after using the vast majority of low-poos that I've tried. To the point where I've contemplated trying it exclusively for a few weeks just to see what happens. We all know that sulfate-free does not always equate to gentle, so why do we automatically believe that all sulfates equate to evil? It's all a matter of what works best for each individual.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    +1
  • lucyprimroselucyprimrose Posts: 166Registered Users
    I find that if I use a shampoo with sulphates or with milder detergents my hair feels stripped and tangles into a complete matted mess. So, I think they are all drying. But I could believe that in terms of how dry and tangled your hair is, a sulfate shampoo that also has lots of moisturising ingredients will be better than a lo -poo that has various non sulphate detergents but not much else in it.
    UK based wavy :hello2:

Mostly waves, but curls and straight bits too!
    Fine to medium, high porosity, medium density, very low elasticity
    Highlights damage (growing it out), seems to like protein and need lots of moisture.

Cleanse - CJDF, trying out low poos ; Co wash- Uk chemist brands, Urtekram Rose or Aloe, Hairveda Amala Cream Rinse; RO - varies, Tigi Moisture Maniac, Desert Essence Coconut ; Leave in - Keracare natural textures; Sealant - argan oil
    Trying out new things, still looking.
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    IA with Corrina, sulphates can be drying. The problem is that they are really cheap and to use a lot of it is nothing to these companies. A lot of sulphates with few or inadequate refatting agents can be drying.

Even milder detergents can be drying if not used with adequate refatting agents.

A well formulated shampoo will not dry out your hair (that's jmo). I don't use commercial shampoo myself as I find both sulphate and sulphate free shampoos drying.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • whirlyhairwhirlyhair Posts: 194Registered Users
    Before knowing the CG method and this website, I've used sulfates since forever. It's always the same... dried out, tangled hair that needs a lot of conditioner (unbeknownst to me at the time that they were usually loaded with silicones and that they're bad for my hair!), which still made my hair dry and yucky. Then I turn on the damn flat iron and I go straight to work on it. :roll:

Since I've been co-washing, my hair is getting happier and happier each time I do it. My only beef with co-wash is that the feeling lasts after second day hair and then my scalp starts to itch. Maybe low-poo can be good for me... Low-poo means it has very gentle sulfates, kinda like those baby shampoos.

In the end, it's all about how your hair reacts to it. I tried Ouidad's products.... I don't understand the hype. I mean, yes, I had compliments and my hair was soft/shiny, but I hate that it's not as curly and bouncy as it should be. Whatever, though.
    CG since 3/11/2012

Engaged. :love5: Wedding date: 02/26/2016

Type 2C (Botticelli according to Curly Girl: The Handbook)
    iii Density
    Medium-Coarse Texture
    Normal Porosity
    Normal Elasticity
    HATES: Traditional sulfates/cones.
    LOVES: Lots of moisture and homemade FSG! :love10:
    (Many thanks to http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/ for helping me figure out my texture, porosity, and elasticity properties! Check them out sometime!)
  • LisaF1163LisaF1163 Posts: 1,079Registered Users
    While I agree that everyone's hair is different, I have to lean the side that sulfates are drying. Plus, I'm truly not nuts about Ouidad's products - they were very drying for my hair.
    CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
    Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Seems like everyone's hair responds differently, eh?

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • LISA LISALISA LISA Posts: 566Registered Users
    Remember - she is also trying to sell her product - that's her bread & butter. When sales are down, it hits her pocketbook.
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981
  • LisaF1163LisaF1163 Posts: 1,079Registered Users
    True!
    CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
    Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
  • thecurlgirlthecurlgirl Posts: 9Registered Users
    My clients use both, some like no poo (I've seen it do amazing things, new head of hair inside of 6 months is my mantra) for LOTS of clients. I've held up the bottle and said "this will change your life" to stress the benefits at times. Some head of curls do better with a GENTLE sulfate shampoo, and some thrive with a strict no-poo or cowashing method. I have some who I wish would use no poo but prefer the feel of lather and use a gentle shampoo like loreal Serie professional, or ouidad. Some have tried no poo with true conviction and then decided on a gentle shampoo and have been happier with their curls. Empowering yourselves with the knowledge behind both theories combined with the patience to try a no poo method will put you in the best possible position to let your curls tell you what they need. Ouidad's book Curl Talk and Lorraine's book Curly Girl, combined with the vast information available on nc.com will help you make an informed decision, and find the best cocktail of products - your stylist should also be able to help steer you in the right direction if he or she is curl knowledgeable.
  • KimleeKimlee Posts: 26Registered Users
    I think if Ouidad has sulfates in their shampoo they have to sell it. I'm sure it would cost a fortune to make a whole new product. Sulfates have a very bad rap. Ouidad will have a hard time selling them. I'd say time to coop their losses. I will not use sulfates. Period.
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm very anti-sulfates if one is going to use them daily, or every other day (ie., every time one shampoos). But my low poo is TJ's Refresh, and it does have a sulfate, in the middle of the ingredients list. It's not SLS, it's c-12, or c-14 something or other. I forget exactly which and I'm being lazy right now ;)
    But regardless, I only use it once a week, maybe less, just when I feel a bit of buildup. You know, just when I need some clarifying. I'll use my clarifying conditioner first. I have a low-poo/no sulfate poo I use first, and of course, I cowash. So I only low-poo every 7 days or so.
    And when I low-poo, I use a more moisturizing condish after - Sally's GVP at the moment.

I don't really think I agree with the assertation that sulfates are not drying if there's enough other moisturizing ingredients in the shampoo. Sulfates are drying, period. I think one needs to know how to work sulfates into one's routine if one wants to use a poo with a sulfate in it, and one needs to choose that poo very, very carefully. I am not familiar with Ouidad's products at all, but I haven't been inclined to try them.
    Just the description of Ouidad's cutting method, "carve and slice," scares me, so I've stayed away from them in general LOL. I haven't heard enough good things about the line to fork over the cash.
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I find that if I use a shampoo with sulphates or with milder detergents my hair feels stripped and tangles into a complete matted mess. So, I think they are all drying. But I could believe that in terms of how dry and tangled your hair is, a sulfate shampoo that also has lots of moisturising ingredients will be better than a lo -poo that has various non sulphate detergents but not much else in it.

+1
  • pamm3lapamm3la Posts: 70Registered Users
    I know i watched a video of that scarve and slice and i was surprised and scared LOL ehhhh not thanks!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
    3B/3C Recovering from heat damaged :/... almost like transitioning because most of my hair is straight it won't curl, thsi is due to sooo many years of using heat without stoping.

Braid out and twist out are my staple styles right now! Not using heat since December 2011. Still experimenting with products!
  • sunnydivasunnydiva Posts: 17Registered Users
    I find that for me, other factors such as frequency of shampooing, quality of tap water in a local area, choice of conditioner, and how you generally care for your hair, have way more to do with the state of hair after cleansing...more so than whether or not a shampoo has sulfates.

I use a mix of sulfate-free and regular shampoos, and I honestly notice no difference in my hair from one to the other. Sulfates get the major rap as the naughty ingredient responsible for drying out curly hair, but I've tried plenty of sulfate-free shampoos that were drying to my 3b hair.
    sunnydiva wrote: »
    I use a mix of sulfate-free and regular shampoos, and I honestly notice no difference in my hair from one to the other. Sulfates get the major rap as the naughty ingredient responsible for drying out curly hair, but I've tried plenty of sulfate-free shampoos that were drying to my 3b hair.

Sunny, I totally agree with all of that. I don't notice much of a difference between one and the other - sulfate free and sulfate poo and I mix it up too. I love my TJ Refresh shampoo, and I wouldn't change it out of my routine for anything.
    I do think though that if I used the Refresh (with the sulfate in it) more often than I do (as a regular poo instead of the clarifier) I might feel a difference; that it might dry my hair out. I absolutely agree though that I've used plenty of CG products - low poos, no poos, etc. - that have completely dried out my curls and left them feeling like straw. Looking bad, too.

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
  • sunnydivasunnydiva Posts: 17Registered Users
    sunnydiva wrote: »

Sunny, I totally agree with all of that. I don't notice much of a difference between one and the other - sulfate free and sulfate poo and I mix it up too. I love my TJ Refresh shampoo, and I wouldn't change it out of my routine for anything.
    I do think though that if I used the Refresh (with the sulfate in it) more often than I do (as a regular poo instead of the clarifier) I might feel a difference; that it might dry my hair out. I absolutely agree though that I've used plenty of CG products - low poos, no poos, etc. - that have completely dried out my curls and left them feeling like straw. Looking bad, too.

That's true, Auntie Bubbs-- I might feel differently if I exclusively used one sulfate-heavy shampoo as my only scalp cleanser. But thanks to the product junkie in me, I seem unable to use the same shampoo or conditioner two times in a row, so my mixed routine seems to save me from excessive dryness!! :flower:
    Isn't that the truth! I just bought a new condish I have high hopes for :D It was on clearance and is CG and seems (from the ingred list) to be very moisturizing. I used it once and it was pretty rich, so I don't know if I can cowash with it, but I think I can use it as a daily (well, as often as I wash, so every other dayish) condish at least. Maybe a leave in.

I can't resist buying new things, esp. conditioners! I have my HG styler but am still searching for a HG condish. I love my Donna Marie detangler, but it's expensive (for me) and the bottle's only 8oz.
    I'm still searching for a HG no-poo too. If I could find that, I'd be so happy! But in the meantime, the PJ in me keeps buying!

Currently using:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file