Lift+root curl for wavies (many pics)

IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I've been trying to improve my clipping skills to get enough lift so that my hair doesn't weigh itself down. So to that end, been trying clipping the back, which has been giving me very nice root curl (okay, wavy root spiral) and nicer waves.

So I'm posting some pics of different ways people clip (I didn't take these pics) because I think it helps a lot to actually SEE it and I think lots of us can benefit from clipping. Lots of variations. Hope to inspire somebody. FYI, I NEVER put the clips in from the bottom up, always from above the hair and down - otherwise you have a heck of a time getting them out!:thumbdown:
IMAG0372.jpg From: HomeSt.LouisCurls
5337311879_061799728c.jpg From: Clipping Roots for Volume | Healthy Curls
IMG_9568-300x225.jpg 0511clips_article.jpg ee1f5_220px-Hair-clipping-7315.jpgwendy-clips.jpg
In post #8 MirCurls has some links to her fotki for using Octoups clips in a clever way: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/101786-who-clips-their-hair-roots-when-drying.html

Comments

• ShellweShellwe Posts: 226Registered Users
    Thank you IAgirl for posting these!!! I was ready to give up on clipping, but now I'll have to give these a try.
    2b fine texture, normal porosity/elasticity

• NocurlB4babiesNocurlB4babies Posts: 179Registered Users
    This is probably a dumb question, but when to you put the clips in? I assume it's after scrunching in product and before diffusing? Or if diffusing, do you stop after a short time and insert the clips, then finish? Thanks for posting the photos...very helpful! I usually focus on diffusing the top with my head upside down to get the most root wave and lift...so that area dries first for me when diffusing.
    2b/3a fine/med-hi density/high porosity (I think)/ highlight-no silicones/sulfates
    Lo-poo - ABBA Gentle Shampoo/ Shea Moisture Curl & Shine
    Conditioner: GVCB (love it!)/ Regis OO
    Leave in
    : As I Am
    Co-Wash: Tresemme or DevaCurl NoPoo
    Stylers: As I Am Curling Jelly/GF Pure Clean/ LALCurl gel - all with BRHG added
    Style: scrunch/ diffuse, then air dry. I don't Have much frizz at all
  • bluebonnetbluebonnet Posts: 82Registered Users
    Ohhhh that's what clipping means! I keep reading about it, but haven't seen any good pics. Maybe now I can try it, thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG 4/13/2012
    med-coarse texture/med density/low porosity
    (2c/3a)
    Clarifying: TJ TTT shampoo
    Cowash: VO5 clarifying kiwi lime, Suave daily clarifying
    RO: SN or Tresemme naturals, TJ TTT
    LI: SN or VO5
    Styling: Gels - HESMU, AAV; John Frieda & HETT mousse; TIGI Curl Booster, FX Curl Booster * Fan of plopping & diffusing
  • ljh34ljh34 Posts: 56Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You know, I've been clipping using plain plastic clips, and I've been sort of mushing my hair up under the clip. Now, looking at these pictures, I see that I really just need to clip it at the roots - and I don't need to gather up all my hair. Thanks for posting these pictures...I'll try it!
    ~Laura

• Blog: Waves & Wisps: A Hair Journal
    • Routine: Still experimenting!
    • My hair type: 2b; fine/normal thickness; low density; high porosity (I think!)
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ... when to you put the clips in? I assume it's after scrunching in product and before diffusing? Or if diffusing, do you stop after a short time and insert the clips, then finish?

If you're happy with what you're doing for volume, this may just be a pain in the neck. I can't do anything upside down.
    All the Deva stuff shows clipping after applying products and before drying, whether that is air-drying or diffusing.
    I get better results if I diffuse for about 5 minutes (which is about all I do anyhow) without the clips - to set the curls, then put in the clips to finish air-drying. Otherwise the top would take forever to dry.
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    I still can't clip. Even when I try it, it is short lived, and falls pretty quickly regardless.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

plunkybug wrote: »
    I still can't clip. Even when I try it, it is short lived, and falls pretty quickly regardless.

I get what you mean - I clip in more volume than I want because it "flattens" somewhat unless I were to put gel directly on the clips or concentrate it on the roots. The fun thing is that it helps your waves start higher up and unweights the under-layers so they can do the same. It's a much bigger difference for people who cannot or do not plop or diffuse upside down!
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Clipping doesn't work for me. Gives me volume, but weird volume. My best luck has been from the duckbill clips at the root method IAgirl posted. Post 5 pic 3.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/134525-achieving-even-wave-pattern.html
    I add more clips along the front and some inserted from the crown/back. My mother and sister with thick and med/thick hair that doesn't need extra volume both like this method. I think the extra height helps balance out the width they get from their thick hair. It is subtle and natural looking on them. Texas/80's hair on me.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    pedaheh wrote: »
    Texas/80's hair on me.
    Everything is bigger in Texas!
    I still clip like that a lot (1 duckbill for most of my part). Good for when hair has been smashed flat.
  • cmimocmimo Posts: 27Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I must be doing something wrong because I clip similar to the first photo and 15 minutes later the clips have moved down my hair a few inches away from my scalp. What gives?
    Clean: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Condition: SM Restorative Conditioner, Ion Effective Care Treatment, GVP Conditioning Balm
    Style: AIACJ, L'Oreal Everstyle Strong Hold Defining Gel, BRHG
    cmimo wrote: »
    I must be doing something wrong because I clip similar to the first photo and 15 minutes later the clips have moved down my hair a few inches away from my scalp. What gives?

LOL, mine does that too. Either you don't have enough hair in the clip or it's too wet. If you get really frustrated, you can use claw clips of any size to clip the part, or smaller bits - there's a link to a picture using those at the end of post #1.
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use some of these, but I also clip another way. I'm not sure how to explain it exactly... I sort of create a bump or a little spiral, then place the clip flat rather than on its side. So the clip typically lays parallel to my part, and flat, holding the "bump" in place. This seems to encourage my root curl, where my length would often pull out when it's wet.

But I do use some of the pictured techniques, too. It just depends on how my hair is acting at the time. Sometimes I don't need clips at all.

I've had luck lately with parting my wet hair, loosening the roots with my fingertips (gently, of course!), scrunching in curl and usually more water, then adding my LI and products. Short plot, and then clips if needed.

HTH!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • TammyHTammyH Posts: 90Registered Users
    Thank you IAGirl...I don't always clip my roots. But these pictures definitely give me some new techniques to try. I use the pink and purple clips from Sally & I love them!
  • cmimocmimo Posts: 27Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    IAgirl wrote: »
    cmimo wrote: »

LOL, mine does that too. Either you don't have enough hair in the clip or it's too wet. If you get really frustrated, you can use claw clips of any size to clip the part, or smaller bits - there's a link to a picture using those at the end of post #1.

I will have to try the claw clip method.. tired of finding runaway clips in my hair! Thanks!
    Clean: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Condition: SM Restorative Conditioner, Ion Effective Care Treatment, GVP Conditioning Balm
    Style: AIACJ, L'Oreal Everstyle Strong Hold Defining Gel, BRHG
  • wavywackywavywacky Posts: 4Registered Users
    When I clip this way I get root volume but weird cowlicks. I haven't mastered it yet.

I get better results with claw clips on the top layers.

Still haven't given up though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file