Best hair routine for a new curly girl?

ilikesquirrelsilikesquirrels Posts: 4Registered Users
What would be a good recomendation of products for my 2b/2c, normal texture, high porosity, and normal elasticity wavy hair? I'm just starting out and am curious about the Curly girl method or even the modified Curly girl method. I bought Lorraine Massey's book which I was pleased with, it was very informative. I still not all together sure on a good example of products for my type of hair. What would be a good hair routine reccomendation and products that would be good to try?
Thank you!

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You'd be better off picking your products by hair properties and not hair type. Once you learn to use the right product and technique, your hair type might change (I went from winter wavy/summer 3a to hair like my signature picture.)

Look for people with hair like yours and see what they use (in signature.) It's the best place to start. Fine hair and porous hair usually like/need protein.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mec1976Mec1976 Posts: 210Registered Users
    I think I have similar properties. You can check out my siggy. It took my over 6 months to get a good routine. And I came close to giving up a few times, so I can speak from experience and say try to keep going. It is totally worth it.

As far as products in general, honestly you really have to get in the trenches and try the products because even with the same properties, everyone's hair is still different. For example most wavies love recoil but my hair does not respond well to it. But I love GF Pure Clean which a lot of people don't like.

Good luck!! :)
    Finally have a routine that works :toothy5:

Low Poo - 2chic Avocado & Olive Oil Ultra-Moist Shampoo
    Co-Wash - V05 Passion Fruit Smoothie Conditioner
    RO - Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Cure Care, GVPCB
    LI - KCNT
    Stylers - GF Pure Clean Gel, BTZ Noodle Head, LA Looks Sports Gel, Eco Styler Krystal, KCCC (I am a product junkie ;-) )

Wash at night, add products, plop in a t-shirt overnight, then diffuse in the morning!! It is great finally getting to sleep in :sleepy2:
  • Mec1976Mec1976 Posts: 210Registered Users
    I would also recommend checking out Kathymac's page ... She sells samples of lots of items so you can try it first before you invest a lot of money on a product that doesn't work.

Here is her Fotki page:

http://public.fotki.com/kathymack/
    Finally have a routine that works :toothy5:

Low Poo - 2chic Avocado & Olive Oil Ultra-Moist Shampoo
    Co-Wash - V05 Passion Fruit Smoothie Conditioner
    RO - Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Cure Care, GVPCB
    LI - KCNT
    Stylers - GF Pure Clean Gel, BTZ Noodle Head, LA Looks Sports Gel, Eco Styler Krystal, KCCC (I am a product junkie ;-) )

Wash at night, add products, plop in a t-shirt overnight, then diffuse in the morning!! It is great finally getting to sleep in :sleepy2:
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Are you wanting to just buy drugstore or online as well?

You want a routine that is cleanser (cowash or low poo), rinse out conditioner (would be slightly thicker than your cowash), possibly leave-in conditioner (not everyone needs one, can use your cowash or RO for this), curl enhancer and gel.

If you search for drug store recommendations a lot will pop up! Also check out this sticky for techniques for applying styling products:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/112371-techniques-links-supersoaker-spritz-condish-plopping-frizz-clipping-icequeen-etc.html
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file