Any help appreciated!

KimmieCurlKimmieCurl Posts: 2Registered Users
I have been fighting my curls all of my life (54 yrs). In the past, I used Pantene Shampoo and Conditioner combo and always conditioned after shampooing - usually with Purology. I believe that my hair was in pretty good condition. I usually just pulled it back in a ponytail. I decided, about two weeks ago, to let the curls win and bought the Curly Girl Handbook. Over the last two weeks, I have tried numerous product and can tell a slight difference with each product. HOWEVER, I have a huge problem with frizz. And my curls are kind of all over the place - def more frizz than curl. I think I am a 3B but not sure. Question: Does it take a while for curls to form - and for frizz to go away or should the change be pretty immediate? Oh - I also live in a very humid climate (near Galveston, TX). I am frustrated - thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You've come to the right place! I never used product until I started lurking on nc.com about 5 years ago (I'm 60.) It does get better and a lot less frustrating.

Curl type isn't all that important when deciding what products/ingredients to use, it's hair properties. You want to determine yours. Here's a link to help Live Curly Live Free - Home Once you determine your properties, you can look for folks with hair like yours and see what they use (in signatures.) You may find that the e-book on the livecurlylivefree website is a good investment. The Curly Girl book is fun, the DVD shows a lot about styling, but other then that--there's really not a lot of information.

My hair prefers the more natural products from the online boutique companies. I always got frizz when I used gel--discovered that my hair didn't like the chemicals (especially polyquats 4 and 10.) I've found that using richer products (for moisture) and A LOT of protein really helps me with curl definition and reducing the frizz. Using a minute amount of a richer product as your first product on "seals" your hair and can help prevent it from "reaching out" and grabbing moisture from the air.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KimmieCurlKimmieCurl Posts: 2Registered Users
    Wow - thanks for the great information. I have been reading from the link you left me - the information makes a lot of sense! Thank you. I think I am going to shampoo my hair tonight and start all over tomorrow. I did use some products with silicone - just had to try and get rid of the frizz. Your curls look beautiful!!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Hi Kimmiecurl! Welcome to NaturallyCurly; we're so glad to have you. You'll find lots of great information right here on this site, all over! Please take some time to dig around; you'll find lots of gold!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file