Similar to Gelabration spray?

Mimee03Mimee03 Posts: 190Registered Users
Is there any product similar to Jessicurl Gelabration spray but cheaper? I LOVE the spray but I could go through a whole bottle in like a month. Any suggestions ladies? Thanks :)

Hair type: 2a/2b. Fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity.

Comments

• oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users
    Maybe you could try making your own! :) What are the product's ingredients?
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Water, Flax Seeds, Aloe Vera Glycerin, Jojoba Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.

Seems like not-too-thick (it sprays...) FSG with aloe, glycerin, and mag. sulfate.
    That should be a piece of cake - simmer 2 tblsp flax in 1 1/2 cups distilled water for about 4-5 minutes, strain and add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. glycerin, 1 tblsp aloe juice, 1/4 to 1/2 (or more) tsp epsom salt, mix and pour in a spray bottle and refrigerate. That should a thin-enough gel unless over-boiled.
  • Mimee03Mimee03 Posts: 190Registered Users
    IAGirl- where do you buy all of that? Also I wanted to ask you if there's a way to make your own sea spray (water, sea salt, lavender) since you're the make-it-yourself genius!
    I get flaxseeds from the "health food" section of the grocery store and epsom salt (the magnesium sulfate) from the drugstore/grocery store. You can find jojoba oil at a craft store, a health food store or maybe a drugstore. Aloe vera juice also from drugstore or health food store (you want the edible kind that requires refrigeration). Glycerin can be found at drugstores and I've seen it a WalMart too.

I've had lousy luck with sea sprays. If you're getting magnesium sulfate, you might try 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of that in a cup of water with a bit of lavender oil. Too much salt = crunchy, gross hair.
    Thanks IAgirl. You're the best! Now I must go shopping :)
  • Mec1976Mec1976 Posts: 210Registered Users
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Glycerin can be found at drugstores and I've seen it a WalMart too.

I've been using KY jelly in place of glycerine in my FSG spray. And FOTE Aloe Vera gel, Epsom salt, and honey. So far I've been super happy with the results :)
    Finally have a routine that works :toothy5:

Low Poo - 2chic Avocado & Olive Oil Ultra-Moist Shampoo
    Co-Wash - V05 Passion Fruit Smoothie Conditioner
    RO - Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Cure Care, GVPCB
    LI - KCNT
    Stylers - GF Pure Clean Gel, BTZ Noodle Head, LA Looks Sports Gel, Eco Styler Krystal, KCCC (I am a product junkie ;-) )

Wash at night, add products, plop in a t-shirt overnight, then diffuse in the morning!! It is great finally getting to sleep in :sleepy2:
    Mec1976 wrote: »
    I've been using KY jelly in place of glycerine in my FSG spray. And FOTE Aloe Vera gel, Epsom salt, and honey. So far I've been super happy with the results :)

Do you have a recipe? I'm so bad with making things up as I feel lol.
  • WavyWendaWavyWenda Posts: 29Registered Users
    I've never tried the Jessicurl spray gel as I'm on a limited budget, but I like the got2b kinkier gloss 'n define Curling Spray Gel. It has mag sulfate, but no flax in it. It does seem to boost my waves and provides decent hold. I can get it locally and it costs only about $4 for 9oz. Oh, and it rinses out easily, which is good for me because I can't seem to use any "poo" without my hair falling out in clumps and/or getting dry and frizzy. The ingredient list is rather long, but you can look it up on the walgreens website to see the full list.
  • Mec1976Mec1976 Posts: 210Registered Users
    Mimee03 wrote: »
    Mec1976 wrote: »

Do you have a recipe? I'm so bad with making things up as I feel lol.

Not a hard & fast recipe - basically I soak about 1/8 a cup of flax seeds in a cup of water overnight. The next day, whenever I think of it, I place it in a pan & bring to a boil. I then strain it and add a pinch of Epsom salt, and a pea size squirt of honey. I'm guessing i probably add a teaspoon of both the aloe Vera & ky jelly. Stir and then store in the fridge. I only really boil the flax seeds to warm the liquid so everything incorporates.

I would guess it is liquidy enough to spray.

Since I started using it, my hair has way less frizz & is very shiny :)

HTH
    Finally have a routine that works :toothy5:

Low Poo - 2chic Avocado & Olive Oil Ultra-Moist Shampoo
    Co-Wash - V05 Passion Fruit Smoothie Conditioner
    RO - Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Cure Care, GVPCB
    LI - KCNT
    Stylers - GF Pure Clean Gel, BTZ Noodle Head, LA Looks Sports Gel, Eco Styler Krystal, KCCC (I am a product junkie ;-) )

Wash at night, add products, plop in a t-shirt overnight, then diffuse in the morning!! It is great finally getting to sleep in :sleepy2:
    Yay!
    One thing to mention - it's best to add the additives after you strain the gel so you're sure they get in there.
  • musica_almusica_al Posts: 94Registered Users
    I made this recipe years ago based on tons of recipes I found on here at the time. Works good as a spray gel, leave in conditioner, or whatever. Can change the variables to what works best for your hair. Haven't been on here much lately but have been trying to start CG again.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/recipes-%97-hair-body/5430-all-one-spray-updated.html
    Chin length 3A Prodcuts: Burt's Bees More Moisture Shampoo/Conditioner; All in One Spray ; searching for ideal styling products

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file