I've been reading on several sites that people with
thick long wavy hair like mine brush their hair with
a denman d5 brush and really love it.
i've considered it on days i want to be less wavy/curly
and more straight without having to use anything with
heat to get it that way.

any opinions?

also,i read a lot on this site about detangling. my hair
NEVER needs detangling unless i've been in high winds for along time with my hair down...why do some people have very tangly hair and some don't...is it the need for
more moisture or more a factor of hair type/property
type?
thanks!!!

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The tangles thing can be related to lots of stuff. In general, the rough the surface of the hair, the more prone to tangles it gets. And if you yank tangles out too hard, you break the hair, which results in more tangles. I tend to get more tangly hair when I'm due for a trim because those little spit ends catch and tangle on everything.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I'm going to post a before/after pic on a day that I finger detangled, then brushed my dry hair with a Denman. I can NOT brush and expect it to look decent, it just poofs. However, I have been able to finger detangle my second day hair before bed, lightly use a wide tooth comb for a once-over, pineapple while I sleep, and get looser waves on 3rd day hair. A spritz of water and a little bit of gel to restyle quickly, and I clip the front back to keep it out of my face. Its obviously not as decent as first or second day hair, but it at least looks like I tried that morning, and I'm not embarrassed to leave the house :idea1:

heres the Denman brushed look:
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • MKcurlyMKcurly Posts: 103Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I brush my 2c/3a hair once I've put LI in. It helps to distribute the product and remove any shed hairs that didn't come out in the shower. After that I get my hands wet, scrunch, apply gel and scrunch more. If I were to brush it dry or when damp I would get undefined poof but just after the shower brushing doesn't interfere with my curl pattern.
  • sexyjacksparrowsexyjacksparrow Posts: 439Registered Users
    I brush my hair with a Denman in the shower to detangle it (whilst my conditioner is in). I don't use it on dry hair though.
    [FONT=&quot]UK curly - mostly 2c[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Going back to basics![/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Happily using a mixture of sulphates, cones and CG products.
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Permanently undecided whether to cut or grow![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Currently loving:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Lush I Love Juicy shampoo
    Charles Worthington frizz smoothing conditioner[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Superdrug coconut & almond intensive conditioner[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Montagne Jeunesse avocado & cherry bark mask[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Umberto Giannini curl gel
    Boots 'pink' curl creme
    [/FONT]
  • CubanwavyCubanwavy Posts: 293Registered Users
    I'm going to post a before/after pic on a day that I finger detangled, then brushed my dry hair with a Denman. I can NOT brush and expect it to look decent, it just poofs. However, I have been able to finger detangle my second day hair before bed, lightly use a wide tooth comb for a once-over, pineapple while I sleep, and get looser waves on 3rd day hair. A spritz of water and a little bit of gel to restyle quickly, and I clip the front back to keep it out of my face. Its obviously not as decent as first or second day hair, but it at least looks like I tried that morning, and I'm not embarrassed to leave the house :idea1:

heres the Denman brushed look:

Oh Lucky, that's what happens to me when I finger comb dry hair, but with no brushing. My hair is about 2 inches below shoulder or a little more and it gets incredibly big when I finger comb it while it is dry. Kind of like the bride of frankenstein or dracula, lol. I did it this week and thought I might leave it and just pull sides back with combs n see what my DH says. I do not ever brush my hair, even when wet; I use a wide tooth comb only when very wet.
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a wide tooth comb on damp (not soaking wet) hair on days I want to wear it straight. I squeeze as much water from my hair as possible and then just run a comb through it!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• IAgalIAgal Posts: 139Registered Users
    Lucky Charm, love your boston terrier face :) haha,.

I've used a regular brush before and it will make it
    poofier for a bit but then it settles down. just wondering
    if the denman is a much better brush.

maybe i should stick with a wide tooth comb though.
  • bluebonnetbluebonnet Posts: 82Registered Users
    As long as my hair is wet, I can brush it (dry - it looks like it needs its own zip code or a major flat ironing job, lol), but I prefer a wide tooth comb in the shower, after I've left my RO on for a while. I comb it, then rinse out my conditioner. If I brush it after that, it can get frizzy and big even if it's wet, but sometimes it's ok. I stick to the wide tooth comb, just to be safe.
    Edit: I haven't tried the denman brush though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG 4/13/2012
    med-coarse texture/med density/low porosity
    (2c/3a)
    Clarifying: TJ TTT shampoo
    Cowash: VO5 clarifying kiwi lime, Suave daily clarifying
    RO: SN or Tresemme naturals, TJ TTT
    LI: SN or VO5
    Styling: Gels - HESMU, AAV; John Frieda & HETT mousse; TIGI Curl Booster, FX Curl Booster * Fan of plopping & diffusing
  • NocurlB4babiesNocurlB4babies Posts: 179Registered Users
    I never brush either, just detangle in shower while conditioner is in with a wide-tooth comb. On the occasion when I have to resort to 2nd day hair (the only solution is to wear a headband- ha), then I gently pick through my hair to break up any clumps and really dampen with a water spray to reactivate the curl. I guess I don't understand what the benefits to brushing are, but some people find that it works for them...and I've not used a denman brush.
    2b/3a fine/med-hi density/high porosity (I think)/ highlight-no silicones/sulfates
    Lo-poo - ABBA Gentle Shampoo/ Shea Moisture Curl & Shine
    Conditioner: GVCB (love it!)/ Regis OO
    Leave in
    : As I Am
    Co-Wash: Tresemme or DevaCurl NoPoo
    Stylers: As I Am Curling Jelly/GF Pure Clean/ LALCurl gel - all with BRHG added
    Style: scrunch/ diffuse, then air dry. I don't Have much frizz at all
  • wxgirlcurlwxgirlcurl Posts: 125Registered Users
    I use a wide tooth comb to lightly comb out or fluff out any unruly clumps or sections that I get in second day hair. The poof does settle and if not I just add a little coconut oil or some light conditioner mist then scrunch. I can never use a brush though unless it's on my under layers which have 1c/2a tendencies ( ya my hair is totally mixed up and confused :) )

Sent from my iPod touch using CurlTalk App
    Curl type: 2c/3a F/M ii (2b F underneath - 3a M on top), normal elasticity, low porosity,
    Modified CG since July 2011,
    Conditioners: Tresumme Naturals for RO and L'Oreal Eversleek for LI
    Styler: Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Mousse: HETMS, HESMU or Pantene Curl defining mousse
    Oils: 50/50 Coconut Oil and EVOO (amazing combo!!)
    My Hair Album - Naturally Curly and Straightened
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    I pretty much only ever brush when it is wet (though I use a wide tooth com more), when I am getting ready to shower (not all the time...just every now and again to get that nice scraping feeling across my scalp), or when I've straightened or not styled curly.

I've posted this before, but I'll do it again:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150260008287374.328583.743022373&type=3&l=3465fd4cfe

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• Touch.of.inkTouch.of.ink Posts: 297Registered Users
    I haven't used a brush since my last hair cut. 3/9/12. That's when I decided to try CG. (Wow, just realized that today is my one month CG anniversary! :))

Ironically, I'd just purchased a Denman brush before that haircut and used it once. It was terrible! It pulled on my hair (and left more broken bits behind) than the cheap brush I'd gotten from Target.

I gave my Denman brush to a co-worker, and gave my soft brush to my son, and haven't looked back :)

Now, I only use a soft wide tooth comb in the shower with lots of conditioner, or sometimes to SOTC after drying when I decide for volume instead of curls :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair: Very fine, normal porous (Finally! Yay!), normal elasticity, loves high dew points.
    Daily: Nature's Gate Tea Tree shampoo, GVP CB, Cure Care conditioner, aloe vera gel, Jessicurls products, Spiral Solutions products.
    Monthly: Henna
    As needed: John Masters Organics Sea Mist
    HG Product: BioSilk Rock Hard Gelee (aka BRHG. It even has HG in the name!)
    Last perm: 12/10/10
    CG since: 3/9/12
    Last haircut: 4/17/12
    Gossamer Fringe (my blog)
  • whirlyhairwhirlyhair Posts: 194Registered Users
    I can't and I don't. It just makes my hair all poofy and crazy!
    CG since 3/11/2012

Engaged. :love5: Wedding date: 02/26/2016

Type 2C (Botticelli according to Curly Girl: The Handbook)
    iii Density
    Medium-Coarse Texture
    Normal Porosity
    Normal Elasticity
    HATES: Traditional sulfates/cones.
    LOVES: Lots of moisture and homemade FSG! :love10:
    (Many thanks to http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/ for helping me figure out my texture, porosity, and elasticity properties! Check them out sometime!)
    wurlyhair, your hair is to DIE FOR!!!!
  • whirlyhairwhirlyhair Posts: 194Registered Users
    IAgal wrote: »
    wurlyhair, your hair is to DIE FOR!!!!

*blush* Thank you! Hey, are you the person who is famous for your homemade PT? I have yet to try it, and lord knows I need it for my naturally porous hair!
    CG since 3/11/2012

Engaged. :love5: Wedding date: 02/26/2016

Type 2C (Botticelli according to Curly Girl: The Handbook)
    iii Density
    Medium-Coarse Texture
    Normal Porosity
    Normal Elasticity
    HATES: Traditional sulfates/cones.
    LOVES: Lots of moisture and homemade FSG! :love10:
    (Many thanks to http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/ for helping me figure out my texture, porosity, and elasticity properties! Check them out sometime!)
    whirlyhair,
    NOPE that would be IAgirl....i'm IAgal...a little too close i know...we are both from Iowa though :)
  • hookilauhookilau Posts: 269Registered Users
    I haven't brushed my hair since I started wearing it wurly.
    I think the denman brush is for those who want to break up the clumps.

Since my hair is wurly, I depend on clumps to give my curls shape. Otherwise I'd be one frizzy mess lol!
    Following CG
    fine, medium-low density :confused5:
    protein loving, porous, elasticity ?

Co-wash: Tresemme Perfectly Undone
    LI/RO: GVP Conditioning Balm, Jane Carter Solutions Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
    Stylers: KCCC, AG recoil, CurlKeeper, As I am curling pudding
    Protein treatments: Aphogee's Keratin 2 minute reconstructor, and Colorful neutral protein filler

Loves: aloe, glycerin & polyquats even in neg dews
    :happy3:
  • curvesncurlscurvesncurls Posts: 154Registered Users
    Maybe this is a little OT, but I'm curious what everyone thinks. I've been having so much trouble getting my tangles out in the shower with finger combing or using a wide tooth (even when it's soaking wet and full of conditioner), so I sometimes will brush my dry hair before I get in the shower. I know a main reason against brushing is that it will disrupt the curl pattern, but is this true if you wash your hair after you brush? I feel like I'm doing a lot more damage to my hair in the shower trying to work out the tangles than I am with a brush on my dry waves/curls. Thoughts?
    Southern WI curly ~ mostly 2b/c with 2a/b underlayer and a few 3a curls on top
    Low porosity, fine hair but LOTS of it!
    Loves protein. Dislikes butters and heavy oils.
    Working toward natural products and streamlining!!
    Current Loves: JCCC, Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner, AG Recoil, CK Coil Jam

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file