Is your hair flexible?

BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Meaning, how much versatility does your hair have..can you mold and shape it, twist and braid it? Or does it always revert back to it's own particular shape no matter how you style it?

For me, I have enough versatility that I can stretch it and have it hold that shape but only for a few hours. Then it reverts back to its natural curl pattern and shape. If I have had it heat styled (which I rarely ever do anyways) it takes longer to revert unless I soak my hair.
"The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
"...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)

Comments

• babydoll202k7babydoll202k7 Posts: 88Registered Users
    I can twist mine after I wash it and it will stay wavy-ish for a day or two. But I have to be sure to re-twist it each night or it will revert back to its natural state. If my hair isn't at least somewhat moist, molding it into anything is impossible.
    3C - No Relaxer since 8/06 - BC 7/07

http://public.fotki.com/babydoll202k7/
    Fotki Updated 12/08
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can style it with products and a diffuser, but given half a chance (and wet weather), it will do what it always does: wings on top, botticelli on the bottom, with an earmuff on the left side for good measure.
  • TriMixDivaTriMixDiva Posts: 255Registered Users
    My hair is funny.

Pre-BKT it would hold a curl like no body's business whether it was natural, roller set, or with a curling iron. But it wouldn't hold a braid out very well. If I had it in a ponytail it wold be dented that way till a wash.

Post bkt- it won't hold a curl to save its life but I've cut off most of that part. It will hold a braid out pretty decent, and roller set feels silkier than it used to. After a ponytail I can get rid of that dent pretty easy.

A lot of this also depends on the products I'm using too.
    TYPE: 3C
    Current State: Just bc'd but still growing out heat damage in the front that goes to the root
    High Density, Medium Porosity
    Length: Grazing SL curly with tons of layers
    Goal: MBL curly? 2019?
    Doing what I want when I want!
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ninja dog wrote: »
    I can style it with products and a diffuser, but given half a chance (and wet weather), it will do what it always does: wings on top, botticelli on the bottom, with an earmuff on the left side for good measure.

Great description.. lol
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There is also such a thing as over-stretching it.. if I leave the pony or bun in too long, I get stringy straight mid shaft, but curly roots and tips, which is not a good look. Fortunately a spritz of water usually fixes that up, but not always.
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    My hair always had a hard time accepting a texturizer/relaxer. And when I stopped chemically treating me hair but still doing straight haired blow outs, it always reverted.

My natural hair tends to be finicky. Some parts, like my looser curl pattern, will stretch out easily but won't allow a twist out/braid out to happen. Other parts, like my kinkier coils, won't stretch but will comply with twisting and braiding.

I have a similar issue as BekkaPoo with the ponytails. Straightish, stringy crown but the rest of my hair is curly. I found large claw clips or butterfly clips to pull hair back, instead of elastics, tend allow for a better and more even stretching (if that's the look you want).
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • NaturallyNikéNaturallyNiké Posts: 364Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Very...

Niké (Nee-Kay):nike:

My world of curls
    2hchy5z.jpg3C/4A,Fine-Meduim,Thick, Lo Porosity

http://public.fotki.com/lilnicka4u2nv/

Leave-in/Moisturizer: Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Sealants:EVOO, JBCO, Crisco
    DC:Matrix Condtioning Balm,Giovanni SAS,Honey, Glycerin
    Shampoo:Dr.Bronner's Castile soap bar
    Styler: Flaxseed,DM Miracurl, SheaMoist Smoothie, OYH S&D
  • ltownltown Posts: 20Registered Users
    I can never get two good days with my hair. The front is 3b,the rest is 3c mix up mess.
  • tots5678tots5678 Posts: 472Registered Users
    I would say that my hair is pretty versatile. However its only for a day or so then begins to curl right back up... Especially when its humid.

I find that I have the same thing happen with my ponytail... Curly, then straight & curly at the ends. I have yet to straighten my hair but looking forward to doing so in August. I have a personal goal of no heat for one complete year & my year ends in August. I'm tempted every now and then but I love the low maintenance of my curls in their natural state especially with me doing workouts 5 days per week.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • kurlyVONNEkurlyVONNE Posts: 42Registered Users
    I honestly haven't started playing with styles. My hair is mixed patterns 3b in the front and 3C in the back all whilst being very fine. So, I can't add too much oil to my hair or it looks nasty. I wash every day to every other day (co-wash). Or my hair feels dry or oily. I tried the twist out once using a hair milk and my hair looked very nasty the next day.

any pointers?
    3b/c medium/thick curly hair
    Goal lengths: Mid Back
    CG method since 2010
    CO wash:CJ Daily Fix; Beauticurls Strengthening Cond.
    Rinse out CO:CJ Beauticurls
    Leave-in: still figuring that out.
    Stylers: Hair Rules: kinky curly creme
    Sealers: Moroccan Oil

stil figuring out my staples
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    that is one of the reasons y i love my hair, i can do sooo much with it. its so big and crazy and my man loves it. even on bad hair days he says i can make it look great. i have a really pretty hair pin that i put my hair up in, (see avatar pic)

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • proudcurlygirlyproudcurlygirly Posts: 478Registered Users
    Fmasuhr wrote: »
    that is one of the reasons y i love my hair, i can do sooo much with it. its so big and crazy and my man loves it. even on bad hair days he says i can make it look great. i have a really pretty hair pin that i put my hair up in, (see avatar pic)

:love10: That's a really pretty updo you have in your avatar pic Fmasuhr!
    :icon_smile: UK Curly
    Curl type : Boticelli, 3a, loose curls
    Porosity : High
    Texture : Fine/medium (I think!)
    Co-wash/rinse out/leave in : L'oreal Full Restore 5, GFR&S, Schwarzkopf Bio Pomegranite
    Gels : Umberto Giannini Flirty Curls Scrunching Jelly
    Finish product : Boots Naked Style Frizz Fighter Serum or a pea-sized blob of condish smoothed over canopy
    CG since Feb 2011
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    Pretty much anything goes with my hair, I recently tried a flexi rod set for the first time and my hair came out great. Didn't think my hair would cooperate but it did.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file