Volume/back

hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
Although my new hair cut has helped in some ways, I'm still having trouble getting volume at the top of my head where there's very little wave formation. I can't do any sort of upside down styling like IceQueen, plopping, or Smasters....I tried those for months and they leave my hair a disaster. I've also tried clipping and I have a really hard time with them. Any other suggestions that might work? The back of my hair could also use some help too if anyone could think of anything. Thanks gals!!!!!!:hello2:
2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
- Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/

Comments

• swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    I saw somewhere that one curly used small and medium sized octopus clips to add lift instead of the duckbills.
    I know you said no upside down stuff, but I found that clips work a lot better for me if I flip upside down before putting them in. I can feel where the clumps are that way so I can put them in around or on? the clumps instead of through them.
    I know your not a fan of heat either, but the only other thing I can come up with is lifting the hair (with hands or tail end of rattaill comb) and blasting it with some heat until your product sets.
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    swtndspcy wrote: »
    I saw somewhere that one curly used small and medium sized octopus clips to add lift instead of the duckbills.
    I know you said no upside down stuff, but I found that clips work a lot better for me if I flip upside down before putting them in. I can feel where the clumps are that way so I can put them in around or on? the clumps instead of through them.
    I know your not a fan of heat either, but the only other thing I can come up with is lifting the hair (with hands or tail end of rattaill comb) and blasting it with some heat until your product sets.

Are the octopus clips the little jaw ones? I know heat can really set waves and curls and I wish I could use it but it hurts so bad even after 2 seconds!!! I've tried using my pick comb to lift the hair and sprayed it with Ion Alcohol-free spray on certain parts that need some life but it only seems to work 50% of the time.
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/
    Yes, the clips are the jaw ones. The octopus ones are rounder than the long jaw clips, and I do remember seeing them in small, medium, and large sizes at walmart. Depending, the baby sized jaw clips might work better. I know for mine, I think those would work better for lifting individual clumps instead of separating the clumps up with bigger ones. My clumps are temperamental until they set.
    OH! And I forgot to mention something I discovered for boosting limp waves! After my hair is completely dry, I SOTC with a moisturizing product (I use SM smoothie or milk, but I think condish would work too) then I take my diffuser and set it with the cool blast.
    Cool air supposedly locks in a style, it works for me on dry hair, anyway. It may work without any additional product. I usually just add it because my ends dry out pretty fast.
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been using these 2-prong clips01462.jpg on the top of mine (on either side of my part) and also have been experimenting on using them on the top/back and it's working really well.:blob5:
    If you looked at the top of my head, the clips in the back crown area would look a bit like spokes on a tire. Just take small sections (big enough so the clip doesn't flop sideways) and pull slightly away from your head, slip the clip in (perpendicular to scalp) right next to your scalp and let it dry. You might actually get nice waves from this - it un-weights the hair. I get more volume and a bit more root curl clipping like that (oh, heaven)!

If I see a spot that's "glued" itself to my head, I'll grab it and clip it too, sometimes.
    I use the little mini octopus clips sometimes if I have a gap or part where I don't want one. The big octopus clips are great too - especially if you want lift right on top of your head and don't want to fuss with individual clips.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file